Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The Mac Pro Waiting Blues

The Mac Pro Waiting Blues (Page 12)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
iMacs are not laptops, they are desktops. The genre is defined by portability, an important distinction IMO.
Changed to "mobile-based iMac" to reflect the high content of mobile components (chipset, CPU, GPU, memory, and optical drive, leaving a desktop display, hard drive, and power supply).

edit: woo, first post on the new page!

Seed of Darkness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 04:38 PM

most of that report is bogus! but i can confirm that apple has stopped shipping the iSight camera so we can expect an upgraded one to be announced in 8 days.
( Last edited by Seed of Darkness; Jan 7, 2008 at 09:21 AM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Seed of Darkness View Post
most of that report is bogus! but i can confirm that apple has stopped shipping the iSight camera so we can expect an upgraded one to be announced in 8 days.
Joke, right? Can't tell... but in case its not, the iSight has been discontinued for what, the better part of a year...? I suspect a new one is not right around the corner. I suspect Apple has lost interest in selling a stand-alone camera. I'd put more money on refreshed displays with integrated cams rather than a new stand-alone iSight.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Joke, right? Can't tell... but in case its not, the iSight has been discontinued for what, the better part of a year...? I suspect a new one is not right around the corner. I suspect Apple has lost interest in selling a stand-alone camera. I'd put more money on refreshed displays with integrated cams rather than a new stand-alone iSight.
It was only discontinued in some countries... you could still order it in others. I don't know if it's been EoL'd in all countries now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 04:07 AM

There's no obvious connection between the iSight and the Mac Pro. There is however an obvious connection between new MPs, Penryn Xeons, and Macworld. Bring it on.

Jesus On Cheese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 07:51 AM

Apple stores are down worldwide. Something is afoot, or an arm.
PowerMac G5 1.6GHz 4GB 1TB Leopard Server, MacBook Pro 2.16GHz 3GB 160GB Tiger, Mac Mini 2.0GHz 3GB 250GB Leopard, Mac Mini 1.42GHz 1GB 250GB Tiger Server

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2008, 08:28 AM

Here is my prediction. New MacPro's announced today. Since it's a minor speed bump and not a total overhaul, they aren't going to waste time at the MacWorld show for it. So new MacPro's today.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler View Post
Here is my prediction. New MacPro's announced today. Since it's a minor speed bump and not a total overhaul, they aren't going to waste time at the MacWorld show for it. So new MacPro's today.
Minor speed bump? I sure as heck hope not.

Most likely we are looking at: move to Penryn, which requires a different motherboard, and allows for faster memory. Add to that, new HD configurations, new video card options, and hopefully the ability to BTO a BluRay drive. It is about as much an "overhaul" as you can get- changing chipsets, RAM speed, video cards, etc..

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2008, 09:07 AM

Can someone tell me what the speed boost would be (% wise) by switching to the Penryn chip from the current chips? Despite the name being different, what kind of speed increase are we actually talking about?

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2008, 10:00 AM

R.I.P. Blues Thread
July 10, 2007 - January 8, 2008

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2008, 10:03 AM

Finally!!!!!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cube-dude View Post
R.I.P. Blues Thread
July 10, 2007 - January 8, 2008
Finally.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2008, 10:31 AM

Haha, them blues ain't quite over yet. The store is still down.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 10:36 AM

a thread made from blues

resolute mac fans cavort

no need now, hope blooms

Cheers to everybody who endured this wait together. I know that I found the humor throughout this thread as valuable as the geeky insights.

And, to those who died waiting, so many and so young, we pledge a moment of silence out of respect for your anonymous, fruitless struggle. Rest in peace!

<as promised, moment of silence>

<shhh>

<c'mon people, a little respect please!>

Now, let's get this party started!!!!
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 11:12 AM

Electronista has a summary:
Electronista | Apple intros 3.2GHz Mac Pro

My favorite: "61 percent more memory bandwidth than the past model, according to Apple." That is what I have been hoping for; probably from careful engineering.

Interesting is that no Blu-ray is mentioned by Electronista. Otherwise, pretty much as expected, nice.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 8, 2008 at 11:20 AM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2008, 01:47 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules