Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Clearing Time Capsule

Clearing Time Capsule
stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2008, 07:29 PM

I'm confused. There are three different items I can check when I open 'Choose disk...' in Time Machine. I don't know how I initially started backing up, but I wondered how I could reset the TM so I could start fresh. Also, is there any way to save the internet connections that I initially set up, or do I have to start from scratch?
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2008, 08:36 PM

The internet connections are separate preferences from the TC disk (which you can erase).

Aiport Utility > Disk > Erase

stoneage  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
The internet connections are separate preferences from the TC disk (which you can erase).

Aiport Utility > Disk > Erase
If I click Erase than my Time Capsule will be erased and I can start another backup?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by stoneage View Post
If I click Erase than my Time Capsule will be erased and I can start another backup?
Yes, you will start fresh again.

stoneage  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 10:00 PM

I figured out part of the problem; I had a non asci symbol in Time Machine name. I changed this and deleted the old folder. It started backing up again, but veeeerrrrrryyyy slooooooowwwwwwly. 52MB of 114 GB in an hour and a half.

Another thing. What is this and should I delete it or ignore it?
( Last edited by stoneage; Jul 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM. )

stoneage  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2008, 05:56 PM

Things keep getting worse. I changed the name and the TM backed up OK, but now it doesn't show my printer anymore. I must be a nitwit; all I hear is how easy this thing is to set up, and all I have is problems.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2008, 06:48 PM

You're not a nitwit. Some things seem obvious to some people that turn out to not be obvious to others. The printer thing is probably one of them. Did you change the name of the TC device itself along the way? Or is it just too darn busy to think about the printer right now?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2008, 09:15 AM

Time capsule backups are not bootable so you can safely set it to ignore your system folder. It will ask you if it can ignore all other system files, select yes.

Everything else is up to you. Many apps won't come back from a TC reinstall since they have system files installed too so you might want to set it to ignore your apps folder.

The main advantage of ignoring system files is that there are tens of thousands of small files, which takes the Mac an age to copy so your initial backup will be much faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules