Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! Pismo freezes with 9.1

Help! Pismo freezes with 9.1
c:\buyamac.now
Mar 1, 2001, 01:31 AM

Hi,

Last week I upgraded to OS 9.1 and now whenever I'm running my Pismo on battery it freezes after a short while (usually when the hard drive spins down).

Any ideas?

I would appreciate them very much.

Thanks!

bighead
Senior User
Mar 1, 2001, 11:02 AM

If anything weird like that happens after a system update, then you should do a clean install of Mac OS 9, then immediately run the 9.1 updater, then reinstall all of your programs.

A lot of weird things happen to me with updates. I always format my HD when they come out. It just keeps everything running smoothly.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2001, 12:40 PM

I'm having the exact same problem on my P(ismo)-400!

I'm thinking about going back to 9.0.4 (again) because of this (now that I think about it, this only happens while it's running on the battery ... odd)

cjno
Mar 1, 2001, 05:10 PM

Mine too !
I tried a fresh 9.04 install and a 9.1 update just after. The same problem appear again. So I went back to 9.04 on saturday.
No more problem... So going back to 9.04 is a good solution.

cbh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 06:14 PM

I have a Pismo 500 and an Imac DV both running 9.1 with no problems,but I did a clean install from the 9.1 cd, upgrade with token �14.00 UK well worth the money!

Craig

dviant
Mar 1, 2001, 07:09 PM

Mine runs fine on 9.1 with plenty of 3rd party ext (ATM, Keyspan remote, Norton, Intellimouse, Toast , Dave etc.). Of course I installed 9.1 over the clean install that came with it (got it about a month or so ago) so maybe that helped. Overall 9.1 on this Pismo has been the most stable Mac OS I've used yet.

js

bah!

c:\buyamac.now
Mar 2, 2001, 01:02 AM

I don't remember being able to do this, but is there a way to go back to 9.0.4 without clearing my drive?

Because my internal drive is the only drive and I can't afford to lose all my files.

Thanks.

whowasIhereagainIforget
Mar 8, 2001, 06:00 PM

Same problems here. I threw up my hands, paid the $300 for AppleCare Extended, got the new AppleCare CD-ROM that boots with OS 9.1. Reinstalled a clean 9.0.4 from the disk that came with the Pismo. Immediately installed the 9.1 update over that. Used TomeViewer to get the correct DVD software out of the installer and put that where it should be, fixing the mistake the 9.1 installer makes. THEN compared all the 9.1 files on the AppleCare CD-ROM with what the updater provided.

Big difference is the Mac OS ROM file on the AppleCare CD is a December 2000 version, months newer than the one included in the 9.1 updater disk images, with a version number I can't recall but markedly newer version.

Drag copied all the newer 9.1 files from the AppleCare CD to the hard drive.

That helped a whole lot with stability for at least two weeks, not one crash in that length of time.

The Pismo started crashing again recently after I tried getting the Palm to communicate with infrared, so I'm going to go do all that again. It seems the only way is to reinstall, regularly.

I'll give up, get an external firewire (the Granite Digital (scsipro.com)new generation faster firewire interface external cases ship tomorrow, suitable for dropping in any size IDE drive). Maybe partition the internal for an OS-only area this time, or make two of them and write protect one, or compress a complete fresh system folder after getting it installed. Or just keep hoping.

I am still waiting for OS 9-1-1 to be provided to us on a bootable CD. Surely Mr. Jobs hasn't missed the magic of that yet unreleased version number. It ought to be the last, and the reliable, Mac OS release.

Or am I dreaming?

Forum Links
Forum Rules