Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac's smoke escaped AGAIN

iMac's smoke escaped AGAIN
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 15, 2017, 10:00 PM

A couple years ago.

AND IT FREAKING HAPPENED AGAIN.

New hard drive, new splitter, exact same spot on the splitter.

Is there like a name brand SATA power splitter I can use?

I threw the hard drive in an external enclosure and hooked it up to my MBA, it wants to format it. I have a Time Machine backup so I'm not worried about getting data off of it, but it would be a pain if I had to shell out for another new hard drive.

P
May 16, 2017, 03:51 AM

Unless your replace everything connected now, it will happen again. When something shorts out, that leaves a burn mark on everything in the contact. That burn mark makes a new short that much more likely.

How old is the iMac? About due for replacement?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 16, 2017, 09:20 AM

2010 27" with the BTO 2.93 i7 and 1GB graphics.

With 12GB of RAM and an SSD alongside the 3TB hard drive, it does everything I want and I don't need to replace it. I could pick up a 2012 3.4 i7 27" in the $700-800 range, but that's the newest I'll go.

I have a new splitter on order to be here tomorrow. I cleaned the shmoo off of the hard drive's SATA connector and can use some electrical parts cleaner to make sure it's squeaky clean.

P
May 16, 2017, 10:34 AM

Why don't you put the SSD in the optical slot and get a USB optical for when you need it? Clearly the splitter solution isn't working out for you.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2017, 11:14 AM

I looked at that last night, the optical connector is a slim connector, so I'd need an adapter anyway.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 16, 2017, 11:34 AM

I know this is unhelpful but smoke escaped again makes me think of LOST.

P
May 16, 2017, 12:29 PM

Yes you need an adapter, but not that one. All you need is one that changes the shape of the connector - no chance of drawing too much power.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ESJILSG?psc=1

reader50
Administrator
May 16, 2017, 12:41 PM

Did the splitter fail at the exact same point? ie - outer corner of the drive connection.

Assuming your cable routing is the same, I'm thinking the drive vibration vs the cable tension slowly pulled it loose, until you had a poor contact point heating up. The solution would be a bit of tape on the cable, or tie the cable connector to the HD with a fine string. Something to prevent it from torquing loose over time.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes you need an adapter, but not that one. All you need is one that changes the shape of the connector - no chance of drawing too much power.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ESJILSG?psc=1
Thanks for the link! I think I will try that this time around, I'm not even sure if the optical drive works.

P
May 17, 2017, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Did the splitter fail at the exact same point? ie - outer corner of the drive connection.

Assuming your cable routing is the same, I'm thinking the drive vibration vs the cable tension slowly pulled it loose, until you had a poor contact point heating up. The solution would be a bit of tape on the cable, or tie the cable connector to the HD with a fine string. Something to prevent it from torquing loose over time.
Note how the SATA power connector is designed: There is 3.3V, 5V and 12V pins all in parallel. Since his drive is only using the 5V pins, any short would happen there or on the ground pins - and since those pins are all bunched together, it will happen int he same spot. My guess is that one of the three pins conducting 5V is blocked off by something, so the power flowing over the other two is outside spec.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2017, 12:32 PM

I tried putting the SSD into the optical drive's connection and leaving the optical drive out, but if the computer is missing the ODD temp sensor, it runs the fans at full speed. So I used my new SATA power splitter and put everything back in. The hard drive still works and everything seems to be okay.

P
May 19, 2017, 02:50 PM

Should have mentioned that. I just moved the old temperature sensor to the SSD - at least in mine (Late 2009, which should be very similar to the Mid 2010 model) it was just a sensor stuck on with tape.

Forum Links
Forum Rules