Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Using X Developer Tools to create - ???

Using X Developer Tools to create - ???
Richard Clark
Senior User
Jun 4, 2001, 10:08 AM

Well, I've taken the plunge. Been messing around with the developer tools that came with OS X. Mainly been trying to put a program together for work. It will be a training guide to OS X specifically showing what our employees need to know on OS X.

I'm trying to use Interface Builder. There's a rough beginning put together. But I'm having problems trying to bring in graphics (Company Logo, screen shots etc.) I also would like to be able to put Quicktime Movies into it. What are some of the experiences with the developers tools? Should parts of what I'm wanting to do be created in different programs?

No, I'm not a novice user. Been working on Macs for ten years now. But this is the first time I've tried to tackle putting a program together. Any suggestion and help and what I need to do, and use putting a program together in OS X using the tools that Apple has provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 4, 2001, 10:16 AM

Yeah, sorry about the thread in OS X - Usage & Support. I clicked on move, and it locked the thread but never transferred it (It was a slow day).
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2001, 08:53 AM

I think that the best place for you to start would be if you took a look at Apple's Currency Converter tutorial. It shows how to use Interface Builder and Project Builder together. You can't build much of a program in Interface Builder alone. If you have the developer tools installed, you can find currency converter at /Developer/Documentation/Cocoa/ObjCTutorial/CurrencyConverterTutorial.pdf

If you wish to figure out how to manipulate images and the like take a look at Apple's listing of Cocoa APIs at /Developer/Documentation/Cocoa/CocoaTopics.html
AppKit and Foundation are Apple's sets of API's for doing most stuff. NSImage and NSMovie, to display images and movies, are listed there.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 05:56 AM

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times:
http://www.stepwise.com/

It's a great resource. Browse through the Softrac archive and download some source code. You'll probably learn a lot by simply reading through the code of some other programs.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Forum Links
Forum Rules