Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can you help me figure out which artist this is? (Americans need not click)

Can you help me figure out which artist this is? (Americans need not click)
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2005, 10:43 PM

Two years ago, I believe it was in early November, I took the old reliable EasyJet to Amsterdam,. While I was walking to Reguliersdwarsstraat that night I passed this interesting art gallery which was closed, but the lights were on inside and I could see the exhibition through the glass.

It was quite interesting... there was a series of photographs of people dressed in full body black latex suits, with latex helmets and "Silence of the Lambs" style restraining masks. The subjects were performing regular family activities: a mother serving food, a child watching TV, etc. The pictures were somewhat dark and had a greenish, blueish tint.

Is anyone familiar with this artist/exhibition, or will I have to turn to Google Answers and pay for someone to dig this up? Thanks in advance

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2005, 03:09 AM

(Americans need not click)
What you really mean:
(anyone who has not rode the old reliable EasyJet to Amsterdam in November and was walking to Reguliersdwarsstraat and who passed this interesting art gallery)
Am I right? Or do you think someone in Brazil might know what you want to know?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2005, 12:16 PM

By saying "Americans need not click" are you saying "people who don't know anything about the art galleries in Amsterdam" or are you saying "people who have no contact with European art" or is it really "people who just wouldn't understand anyway?" I'm more than a little concerned about this. If it's the latter, why would you think that of Americans in general? If it's either of the former, why would you think these statements apply to Americans in general?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 12:36 PM

those damn yanks

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
By saying "Americans need not click" are you saying "people who don't know anything about the art galleries in Amsterdam" or are you saying "people who have no contact with European art" or is it really "people who just wouldn't understand anyway?" I'm more than a little concerned about this. If it's the latter, why would you think that of Americans in general? If it's either of the former, why would you think these statements apply to Americans in general?

I think it's because he's an arrogant, self-important, condescending a-hole.

Just a guess.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500

Just a guess.
I think you might have a good point.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500

Just a guess.
Worth repeating.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It was quite interesting... there was a series of photographs of people dressed in full body black latex suits, with latex helmets and "Silence of the Lambs" style restraining masks. The subjects were performing regular family activities: a mother serving food, a child watching TV, etc. The pictures were somewhat dark and had a greenish, blueish tint.
Sounds crap.

Anyways, find out what the art gallery was (Google Earth for the street, check for art galleries) then e-mail them to ask.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 02:11 PM

Don't get your panties in a bunch everyone, there is no political slant behind my parenthetical comment. I just highly doubt that any Americans would know what exhibition this is, because it is a small gallery based in Amsterdam.

Nonetheless, I told you guys not to click and yet you did, and de-railed this thread. Now do you see why I had to ask that you guys stay out?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2005, 02:19 PM

Kerrigan you are right. This thread derailment had NOTHING to do with your post.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 02:26 PM

So much for trying to save the couple-dollar fee for Google Answers

this thread is now about images that are too large

[no, no it's not. --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Dec 4, 2005 at 02:55 PM. )

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I saw the artwork - about 2 blocks from "The Otherside" - the coffee shop where I buy my weed.

What were you doing in a trendy gay section of central Amsterdam?

*I* have an excuse. The best weed is there.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 02:31 PM

what ELSE would I be doing in the trendy gay section? Sadly I think that Amsterdam's gay scene is not very good, London and New York are better.. even Paris to some extent has more to do.

Anyways you don't remember the name of the exhibition? That's okay, I'll try and dig it up somewhere on the internet...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Anyways you don't remember the name of the exhibition? That's okay, I'll try and dig it up somewhere on the internet...
Dude, I've already told you how to find out. Why don't you actually go do it instead of whining like a big queen?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 02:44 PM

Doofy, does the google maps service work with countries other than the US and UK? I thought you couldn't do any map searches outside those two countries.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 03:14 PM

shhh... don't tell anybody, but I clicked and I'm an American.
I did it because it made me feel naughty!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules