Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Dents, Covered by Applecare

Powerbook Dents, Covered by Applecare
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 03:56 PM

Hi, Im new to the forums, and I have a 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, 80gb, and combo drive, with 512mb ram. So anyways after all that I've had it about a year come March. Over this time I've aquired three dents, 1. On the power plug, 2. On the back, and 3. on the top. While these don't effect my system at all it is pretty annoying. I have Applecare and was wondering if it would cover dents. Or if it's possible to fix the dents and for how much. Thanks a lot.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2006, 04:07 PM

Haha, that's a funny one! (Sorry, this is an ongoing shortcoming of the aluminum PowerBook case)

No, AppleCare will not cover dents.

The fix is to buy a new case. If I recall correctly it's about $600.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 04:16 PM

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, how much would it be to just buy the bottom part? And do you think prices for parts will go down when the Macbook comes out? Im tempted to sell my Pbook for something else just because it doesn't feel completely structurally sound.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 04:17 PM

sorry double post

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 08:30 PM

Oh also, is there a way to tighten the hinge on the screen? It's become very loose and makes me nervous that it might break.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 14, 2006, 09:06 PM

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspx

this looks promising. it has tools to disassemble and lubricate the hinges in case it is too tight. you can play goldilocks until it is perfect. :-)
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the link, The screen is my biggest worry right now, the other's are ignorable. Anyone ever use it, and ow easy is it?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by theokandroid
Yeah that's what I was afraid of, how much would it be to just buy the bottom part? And do you think prices for parts will go down when the Macbook comes out?
I think the bottom case is $300-400. No, the prices will not drop.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 09:49 PM

Damn, I saw them on PBfixit, for about 240 but then Id have to do an install, and Im a little nervous to do this, plus I dont have that kind of cash, I guess Ill just live with it, oh well.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2006, 11:13 PM

I have actually heard of people getting their dented cases replaced when they sent their powerbooks in for other problems, but I wouldn't count on it.

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 14, 2006, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the link, The screen is my biggest worry right now, the other's are ignorable. Anyone ever use it, and ow easy is it?
This kit will be useless to you, I got it and it only loosens your hinge. Tightening it requires you to tighten various screws holding the hinge in place. You'll need some of those star-shaped screwdrivers (very tiny ones too).
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 12:35 AM

Does that kit include the screwdrivers I'd need. I think I could tighten some screws on my own.

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 02:27 AM

I would think it doesn't. Course, you *might* be able to find the right sized star bits at a hardware store or some place like harbor freight.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 02:33 AM

Well I KNOW pbfixit.com sells Pbook tools so if someone could inform me what pieces Id need then I could prbably tighten the screws myself.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 05:42 PM

Not to change the topic of this thread, but does anyone know if safeware insurance covers dents and such. I ask because I do have safeware and I dropped my pb a while ago (while in a sleave case) from about 9" off the ground and it dented the corner by the optical drive in the front. This pushed up the top piece and makes the machine feel a lot less sturdy. I wouldnt' mind getting it replaced at some point if possible.

To theokandroid - you could try calling them, assuming they have an office phone number. I'm sure they will be able to tell you exactly what parts you require to tighten/losen the hinge. Pbfixit seems to have good directions for many procedures on their site, I'm sure they would know what you would require.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 12:16 AM

Hi, Im new to the forums, and I have a 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, 80gb, and combo drive, with 512mb ram. So anyways after all that I've had it about a year come March. Over this time I've aquired three dents, 1. On the power plug, 2. On the back, and 3. on the top. While these don't effect my system at all it is pretty annoying. I have Applecare and was wondering if it would cover dents. Or if it's possible to fix the dents and for how much. Thanks a lot.

no......
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:06 AM

Well I guess I realized I can't sell my powerbook, but i've got to figure out a way to fix the dents. What's the cheapest or who is the cheapest to fix them.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 01:28 AM

Take off the case and start hammering away... or buy a new 15" 1.5 lower case and upper case.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:35 AM

Unfortunately most of the dents are going in. Plus I have some on the top over the lcd, which I hear can't be replaced without replacing the whole screen.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:36 AM

Oh and now I've noticed this off color splotch on the screen that wasn't there before, will Applecare cover this?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 09:03 AM

Oh and now I've noticed this off color splotch on the screen that wasn't there before, will Applecare cover this?

If you had Safeware.com insurance it would be covered! No deductable

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 12:36 PM

Could I get safeware now? And it said for coverage of 1400 bucks, it'd be 84 dollars, is that per month or just once?

edit: and somehow the splotch dissapeared this morning. I think some of the lcd screen cleaner got under it but has now dried, so no worries over that.

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:35 PM

Interestingly, I just had my 17" PB in for a broken optical drive. When I received it back from Apple, they had replaced the upper case on the bottom (the one w/the speaker grills and palm pads). The place where my palms had rested were all corroded and flaking before, but now it is brand new. I did not ask them to fix it, they just did; a very nice surprise.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 05:29 PM

Damn wish something would go wrong with my system.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 06:31 PM

hey theokandroid,
Which version of the 1.5 GHz Powerbook do you have? The one with the scrolling trackpad or the older one? I have the top and bottom case from a 1.33 GHz Powerbook that should fit the older 1.5 GHz Powerbook (maybe the newer one too but that I can't be as sure about). PM me and maybe we can work something out. I can certainly beat at least PBFixit's prices. I have the top lid for the screen as well (LCD itself is cracked).

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by crouchingtiger
hey theokandroid,
Which version of the 1.5 GHz Powerbook do you have? The one with the scrolling trackpad or the older one? I have the top and bottom case from a 1.33 GHz Powerbook that should fit the older 1.5 GHz Powerbook (maybe the newer one too but that I can't be as sure about). PM me and maybe we can work something out. I can certainly beat at least PBFixit's prices. I have the top lid for the screen as well (LCD itself is cracked).
Hey, I have the newer one, with the scrolling trackpad. How much are they and can i see some pics.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 09:41 PM

So does anyone know how safeware works, Could I start insurance now and then file a claim after?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 11:15 PM

So does anyone know how safeware works, Could I start insurance now and then file a claim after?
That's usually known as insurance fraud, since most (all?) insurance doesn't cover "pre-existing conditions."

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 11:26 PM

I know it sounds horrible, but they wouldn't have to know,but would they know if it was pre-existing?

jbmitt
Jan 19, 2006, 11:37 PM

I know it sounds horrible, but they wouldn't have to know,but would they know if it was pre-existing?
They wouldn't know its pre-existing...its called fraud, and since you announced it to the entire world, the chances are much better of them finding you. You clearly said how many dents you have and what sort of computer you have.

I've got a minor dent on my powerbook and some flaking paint too. Am I happy about it? No! Do I realize it still works fine? Yes. Am I trying to rip you off by commiting fraud? No!

The point is.. other people will pay for your dishonesty.. how about when you buy a house and a car, insure it with the same company as me, I bury my BMW in the ground and say its stolen and recieve a check http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13655241.htm ...and your rates cover my check..how do you feel?

Just suck it up, its no big deal. Its life. Besides it adds character and chicks dig scars.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 11:40 PM

Jeez, i was just throwing it out there. I wasn't set on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules