Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen Alignment

Screen Alignment
onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hi.

Does anybody know how to adjust the alignment of the screen?
I've got a problem, of which I don't whether or not a simple re-configuration will solve, or whether I will have to send it in to Apple for repair.

My problem is, that the screen is slightly tilted towards the right. This gives a slightly larger gap between the display and the physical screen frame on the right-hand side, than it has on the left-hand side (and the other sides respectively).

Below are pictures that I've taken to best demonstrate my problem:

- Left Side:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8467/left1pz.jpg

- Right Side:
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8880/right8pp.jpg

Since I know that most forms of screen re-alignment/configuration are possible on external monitors by the user, I'm fairly sure that it must be possible with the Powerbook display. Or, is this an Apple enginner-only kind of know-how?

Thank you so much for reading/answering.
onlyone

ibook_steve
Jan 20, 2006, 08:34 PM

I can't open the second picture, but there is no such thing as alignment issues with LCDs. The "pixels" you think you are missing is the thin black band that goes all the way around the display where no LEDs exist. If the display looks out of "alignment," it is because the LCD panel is mounted at a slight tilt in the top case. It's relatively easy to fix if you are comfortable taking off the back of the LCD panel. You don't say which machine it is, but I think it's just the two hex screws in the lower left and right hand corners of the display. Then a thin tool, such as a credit card, is needed to pop off the back of the display (watch out for the wireless antennas cable). At least on the 12", 4 screws, one in each corner, mount the panel through some brackets. You can tighten or loosen these screws to center the panel. If you're not comfortable doing this, I'm sure it would not be an expensive repair at an Apple store. Hopefully they wouldn't ship the machine off.

Steve

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2006, 06:02 AM

Thanks for your reply Steve. Surely it would be a free repair since I only bought it this week?

Thanks.
onlyone-jc

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 06:17 AM

Should be. Any repairs that aren't your fault are free for three months or so if I recall correctly.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2006, 01:57 PM

I think it's any repairs within a year of purchase but you only get phone support for 3 months for free. But if you call them about a hardware problem (IE: not something that you're just doing wrong) they don't charge you for that year. I know I had my LCD replaced due to a line of dead pixels that formed on it greater than 3 months after purchase but within one year. Now I have applecare so it's all good for another 1.5 years
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2006, 05:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the re-assurance guys/girls! It's much appreciated!

onlyone-jc.

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2006, 05:47 PM

Thanks a lot for the re-assurance guys/girls! It's much appreciated!

onlyone-jc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules