Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 59)
reader50
Administrator
Mar 30, 2007, 02:12 AM

The podcast will be delayed somewhat longer, though the Berkeley after-finale Q&A will get posted anytime.

Originally Posted by RDM blog
More podcast delay

Sorry, all -- but I'm deeply under the weather since our return from Berkeley and still haven't done my podcast for the Season Three finale. (I doubt anyone's looking forward to another congestion-filled audio recording.) So as soon as I'm well, I'll finish up the season. I don't know why they haven't posted the Q&A session yet, but I'm sure it'll be up shortly.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Tigh also brings up an interesting notion: Cylon people have the same human failings (i.e. addiction issues) as People people. Well, interesting to me at at least...
Is it really that interesting, though? I thought the point all along was that the Cylons have proven to be just as human as the humans.

How did Lampkin know about Ellen? Did he put it together himself, was it a shot in the dark, or what?

Upon rewatching, I couldn't find anyone else who noticed the music. Lampkin could've been ignoring it (after all, he did proclaim to possess great lying skills), but that's probably unlikely. If those stand-ins that 3 saw are at least of the correct gender, then the fifth Cylon is female. Starbuck and Roslin both seem way too obvious while Dualla and Cally didn't seem to hear the music. I'd say it's likely that the final Cylon is someone who has a much smaller role than the four they revealed.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2007, 01:57 PM

i think the final cylon wasnt in galactica at the time

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
How did Lampkin know about Ellen? Did he put it together himself, was it a shot in the dark, or what?
I figured that the answer he was looking for was just something like "Yeah, yeah, it wasn't Baltar," and Tigh admitting to murder was just kind of a bonus point.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I figured that the answer he was looking for was just something like "Yeah, yeah, it wasn't Baltar," and Tigh admitting to murder was just kind of a bonus point.
I don't know... the way he was asking who killed her suggested to me that he knew the answer.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 1, 2007, 04:02 PM

Is it really that interesting, though? I thought the point all along was that the Cylons have proven to be just as human as the humans.
Well, that's why I said interesting to me. They started out with a 'better than the original' attitude, and over the course of the show have shown the exact same failings that so disgusted them when displayed by real humans. This just shows another human flaw that the Cylon agents are susceptible too. I thought it was an interesting point about Cylon nature, both biological and psychological.
Nemo me impune lacesset

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Well, that's why I said interesting to me. They started out with a 'better than the original' attitude, and over the course of the show have shown the exact same failings that so disgusted them when displayed by real humans. This just shows another human flaw that the Cylon agents are susceptible too. I thought it was an interesting point about Cylon nature, both biological and psychological.
I get what you're saying and I agree; I just thought the point had already been driven home.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 10:32 PM

I don't know... the way he was asking who killed her suggested to me that he knew the answer.
Well, he knew she was hanging out with Cylons on New Caprica. He knew how Tigh felt about collaborators. And, he knew Ellen's death was unexplained. Probably did the math and figured there was a decent chance that Tigh killed her ... at least enough of a chance to go on a little fishing trip to see if he was right.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2007, 09:52 AM

The Berkley Q&A is up. Kind of interesting, Ron Moore does it immediately after his friends watch the finale at a "frak party". Still listening to it, but he's said that Adama, Apollo and Roslin are not Cylons. And Tyrol's kid is a hybrid. The finale five are different, but in the path they take or some ****. The four are genuine synthetic people.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 04:02 PM

Surprise! She's dead. Double surprise! She's back - How Battlestar Galactica faked out fans and staff alike

At first, the producers wanted to deceive the whole Battlestar Galactica production, including the cast, into thinking that Sackhoff was really leaving. "They said, `We're not telling anyone,'" she recounted. "`We're not telling the entire crew. The entire cast. Some of the writers aren't even going to know.' I was like, `You've got to be kidding me!'''

The cast found out Starbuck was "dying" while production was underway last year when they received the outline of the episode in which she blew up. "Everyone flipped out," Sackhoff said.

Sackhoff found it difficult to lie to her fellow actors. (Deceit doesn't seem to be her forte, generally speaking: In the first minute of this interview, Sackhoff admitted that she was hung over, because, she said, "I don't want you to think I'm stupid. I'd rather you think I'm, you know, a drunk.'')

Eick soon realized that this part of the plan simply wouldn't work among the close group of friends in the Battlestar cast. "It wasn't fair to her," he said. "She was going to have to lie to literally everybody in the cast: `Yeah, yeah, I know, it's awfully sad. I'm gonna miss you guys!' It got ridiculous at a certain point. She was a trouper; I think she would have done anything we asked her to. But she's not inhuman!''

So the cast was told that Sackhoff and Starbuck were there to stay, but anyone else deemed a potential leak was kept in the dark. Including Sackhoff's own father. "My dad has a big mouth, and I knew he would get on his email list and tell everyone," she said.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 03:05 AM

For some of the hardcore fans...
Beyond the Red Line

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2007, 06:24 PM

I don't know when it went up, but it must've been in the past few days because I checked it a bit ago. Crossroads pt 2 Podcast is available.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

hart
Senior User
Apr 14, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Isn't Chief and Cally's kid a hybrid, then? So why is Hera still so important?

Makes me question if they're really Cylons. They passed Baltar's Cylon test. I'm sure the Doc and Baltar can test them again.
If I'm not mistaken the Chief/Cally child is a boy. That means we now have "breeding pair" of hybrids to work with. That could be an Adam/Eve kind of story line kicking in there.

hart
Senior User
Apr 14, 2007, 07:25 PM

Finally caught up with all the episodes via itunes (was saving them as a treat) and read all this ... well I think I skipped pages 38 to 48 ... so I think the idea of the twelve Greek gods and each cylon representing a character trait can be fleshed out now:

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
I've been thinking about the whole 'each cylon model represents something about humanity' here's my list:

Simon: Logic
Doral: Doubt
D'Anna: Leadership
Six/Gina: Love
Leoben: Faith
Sharon: Hope
Bro. Cavel: I'm not sure. Somewhere in Authority I think or something. I dunno.
Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
I still think the remaining 5 humanoid Cylons split from the seven for some reason, possibly in a disagreement over attacking Caprica. And those 5 Cylons are Adama(Zues), Lee(Apollo), Tigh(Ares), Roselyn(Hera?), and Baltar(Hades) (the colonial variants think they are human)

Six(Aphrodite)
Boomer(Athena)
[others?]

The 12 models are symbolic of the 12 main greek gods.
tigh turns out to be Ares apparently

Chief=haephestus

tory and sam?

here's a complete list. Please fiil in the blanks.

Aphrodite Goddess of love and beauty
Apollo God of the sun (light), music, healing, prophecy, and poetry
Ares God of war, revenge, anger, courage, fertility and bloodshed
Artemis Goddess of hunting and archery, twin sister of Apollo
Athena Goddess of wisdom, crafts, defensive warfare.
Demeter Goddess of agriculture, grain, harvest and earth
Hades God of the Dead and lord of the Underworld and of the riches found within the earth. Brother of Poseidon and Zeus
Hephaestus God of fire and the forge (god of fire and smiths). Makes armor for the gods and other heroes like Achilles.
HeraGoddess of marriage, family, motherhood and queen of the gods. Zeus' jealous wife.
Hermes God of travel, thieves, and commerce. Messenger of the gods.He showed the way for the dead souls to Hades's realm.
Poseidon God of the sea and horses. Brother of Hades and Zeus and father of
Hestia Goddess of the hearth and domestic life. Eventually replaced by
Dionysus.
Zeus King of the gods. God of thunder and lightning. Brother of Poseidon and Hades. Husband of Hera. Destroyed his father, Ruler of the titans (Cronus), with a sickle. Loves women and has various relationships throughout Greek mythology

Idiot question: who's Doral? I've drawn a blank....NM, looked it up.
( Last edited by hart; Apr 14, 2007 at 07:32 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2007, 08:39 PM

Shouldn't Tigh be Dionysus?
Chuck
___

hart
Senior User
Apr 15, 2007, 12:14 PM

Dionysus seems too fun to be Tigh. I think Dionysus was more like a party animal than a miserable drunk.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2007, 12:24 PM

I thought RDM said each Cylon Model was created after what the cylons thought was each aspect of humans.

hart
Senior User
Apr 15, 2007, 12:38 PM

I believe the Greek gods also represent that concept.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 12:18 AM

RDM has said on the topic of Kara:

( Last edited by goMac; Apr 20, 2007 at 11:26 AM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
RDM has said on the topic of Kara:

Ok, but is he imagining her?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Ok, but is he imagining her?
Fixed.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2007, 09:10 AM

Right, I've watched season 1 and 2, not 3 yet (I don't have Sky). I just found out about the 'Resistance' webisodes that fill the gap between 2 and 3, but they aren't viewable on scifi.com outside of the USA, so I can't watch them there. Are they viewable anywhere else (to people outside America)?

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in this thread, but I'm not reading through it because I haven't watched 3 yet.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2007, 09:35 AM

They're all over the BitTorrent sites and thus very easily obtainable, if you do that sort of thing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2007, 10:46 AM

Any really, who on the Internet doesn't?
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 07:15 AM

Eddie and Katee say Season 4 is the final season.

When asked about the next season of Battlestar, Olmos had this to say, "This will probably be the most extraordinary season of Battlestar, it's the final season so, it's definitely going to be the most vicious."

Katee: Yeah, this might be, this may be our last year. If Eddie is saying it, I guess I can repeat it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 08:11 AM

I'm surprised, I thought if Lost could get 3 more seasons, BSG would at least get one and a half more.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 09:06 AM

The viewership of BSG is much, much lower than Lost.

Too bad too, since I have zero interest in Lost.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2007, 09:32 AM

well, I'd rather have them wrap it up with a satisfying conclusion than stretch it or leave it ending on a cliffhanger.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 01:06 PM

I saw that coming based on RDM comments in the podcast about the show entering its "3rd act" in the 4th season.

Also when they upped the number of episodes PLUS a TV movie it felt like this is the deal they are getting instead of a forth season.

Just hope they still come out with the spinoff caprica but I hear it was put on the back burner also.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The viewership of BSG is much, much lower than Lost.

Too bad too, since I have zero interest in Lost.
If anything on Sci-Fi came anywhere close to the ratings of Lost, the network's entire upper management would simultaneously **** their pants.
Chuck
___

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 02:21 PM

I've come to the conclusion that the average TV show only has about 3-4 effective seasons before the writers become absolutely useless.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 02:39 PM

BSG is hardly average.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I've come to the conclusion that the average TV show only has about 3-4 effective seasons before the writers become absolutely useless.
What I found interesting about BSG is most sci-fi shows (like Star Trek) usually take 2-3 years before they become good.

BSG started out excellent from the first episode.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
BSG is hardly average.
Well, BSG seems to gone significantly downhill in season 3, IMO.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
And then got worse in the later seasons.

bstone
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 03:04 PM

I will say this. TV shows that weren't very good (Star Trek Voyager, Deep Space 9) went on for 7 or 8 seasons. Of course they weren't one long episode/story line.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 03:17 PM

Well, BSG seems to gone significantly downhill in season 3, IMO.

I respectfully disagree.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I will say this. TV shows that weren't very good (Star Trek Voyager, Deep Space 9) went on for 7 or 8 seasons. Of course they weren't one long episode/story line.
Actually, both of those were, and DS9, specifically, got both increasingly less episodal and extremely intense in the last few seasons. As in exponentially better.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 03:28 PM

I don't think so at all. The first season was only 12 episodes and practically wrote themselves as they had plenty of ideas they wanted to set up.

Later on they had studio pressure to do certain themed shows and had to follow up on some complex ideas they set up.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 03:35 PM

Battlestar Galactica star Katee Sackhoff told SCI FI Wire that she will play the original cyborg in NBC's Bionic Woman SF series. "I play Sarah Corvus," Sackhoff said in an interview at the Saturn Awards in Los Angeles on May 10. "She's the original bionic woman. The first bionic woman. She doesn't let anyone forget it. And she's kind of gone off the reservation. She's a little crazy."

SCI FI Wire | The News Service of the SCI FI Channel | SCIFI.COM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
What I found interesting about BSG is most sci-fi shows (like Star Trek) usually take 2-3 years before they become good.

Excellent point.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 09:48 PM

Well, BSG seems to gone significantly downhill in season 3, IMO. And then got worse in the later seasons.
You can say that again.... I loved it until the most recent few episodes... it's slowed down to a stop and all that religious crap with everything being so mysterious is not entertaining, it's just maddening. Anybody can write a bunch of nonsense... how about going back to some cool stories if possible... oh nevermind, I probably won't even watch. They've lost me.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2007, 11:25 PM

So, what's the word on the spin off that had been whispered about a while back?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2007, 12:32 AM

^^ Caprica is stalled AFAIK.

Not that I was particularly interested in it in the first place...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2007, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
You can say that again.... I loved it until the most recent few episodes... it's slowed down to a stop and all that religious crap with everything being so mysterious is not entertaining, it's just maddening. Anybody can write a bunch of nonsense... how about going back to some cool stories if possible... oh nevermind, I probably won't even watch. They've lost me.
You preferred the endless string of "character development" episodes?
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2007, 03:32 AM

One of the things that makes Battlestar Galactica great is just that - character development, yes.

I hardly ever watch TV. If I want mindless entertainment, I visit the Political Lounge.

The reason I bother with BSG at all is because the characters there have crises or conflicts that are NOT peachily resolved after exactly 42 minutes, that influence the way they become, in short: they're just *slightly* more complex than your average Chuck Norris or Star Trek character.

I dropped Andromeda and that Star Trek series with the incredibly annoying patriotic hymn theme after a few shows.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 12, 2007, 07:32 AM

You preferred the endless string of "character development" episodes?
Not at all. In fact I'd say the opposite. I think the last half of the season is exactly the kind of episode you're referring to. I don't like that stuff at all. I like the kinda stuff in the first and second season except for the occasional ep like that. I think we agree. Or do you love all the religious mystery surrounding the final 5??? I guess I thought it was kinda cool till I found out who they were. I think it's really the answer that ruined the show for me. Boomer was a cool character because she was a human that found out she was a cylon. We don't need 4 more Boomers. Who's the 5th? Starbuck? Just lame. Sorry but I gotta rant somewhere. I wish the third season had been the last. They're never going to be able to clean up this mess in an interesting way. It's going to be like watching a once beautiful turd twirl down the toilet. It was the best show on TV for two years. The only satisfaction left is knowing that it'll be gone. Just like Twin Peaks... just sad.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2007, 10:41 AM

I'm having trouble believing it'll be that simple.

That is, I hope you're wrong.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 12, 2007, 11:14 AM

According to David Eick, BSG won't necessarily end next season.
SCI FI Wire | The News Service of the SCI FI Channel | SCIFI.COM

Personally, I would rather BSG end next season. It's had a great 3 seasons and I feel like it's time for the story to wrap up. Get us to Earth and then tie up the loose ends. Let me look back in ten years and remember BSG fondly, instead of as a show that was dragged out, and got uninteresting, and I stopped watching, and didn't really know how it ended because I didn't care.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2007, 11:17 AM

Not at all. In fact I'd say the opposite. I think the last half of the season is exactly the kind of episode you're referring to. I don't like that stuff at all. I like the kinda stuff in the first and second season except for the occasional ep like that. I think we agree. Or do you love all the religious mystery surrounding the final 5??? I guess I thought it was kinda cool till I found out who they were. I think it's really the answer that ruined the show for me.
It sounds like you pretty much agree with me that the Final Five thing was fine. It's just that you imagine it will go somewhere lame and I don't. If it goes somewhere lame, that will be sad, but we currently have no idea where they intend to take it, so it's very premature to guess.

Boomer was a cool character because she was a human that found out she was a cylon. We don't need 4 more Boomers. Who's the 5th? Starbuck? Just lame. Sorry but I gotta rant somewhere. I wish the third season had been the last. They're never going to be able to clean up this mess in an interesting way. It's going to be like watching a once beautiful turd twirl down the toilet. It was the best show on TV for two years. The only satisfaction left is knowing that it'll be gone. Just like Twin Peaks... just sad.
I hear extreme pessimism is productive and enjoyable. Is this true?
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2007, 11:53 AM

It sounds like you pretty much agree with me that the Final Five thing was fine. It's just that you imagine it will go somewhere lame and I don't. If it goes somewhere lame, that will be sad, but we currently have no idea where they intend to take it, so it's very premature to guess.
Their track record with this series so far has been quite excellent. As far as I can remember, they've rarely opted for the cheesy and predictable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules