Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Sony P3 not doing well

Sony P3 not doing well (Page 4)
DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
May 7, 2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Eh, it's still overpriced compared to the 360 if the extra stuff you get adds no value. It's like charging $500 for a gallon of milk packaged with styrofoam and going, "What? This isn't overpriced compared to other milk. They just don't include a bunch of styrofoam."
Yes and no. If you don't want a built-in HD player (which even if Blu-ray fails, it'll still benefit games), Wi-Fi, 40GB extra HDD space, HDMI, etc, then yes, you'd be wasting $200. But if you want one of those things, then you're going to drive the price right up.

Take for example Wi-Fi. If someone buys a 360 and wants a wireless connection, they would have to spend $100 for the Wi-Fi add-on. Add that $100 to the $400 you pay for the 360, and that brings the total up to $500. Which isn't too far away from the PS3's $600 pricepoint. You could apply that to other add-ons as well.

Nonetheless, you're still getting much better value buying a PS3 than a 360. You'd be spending $100 less with the PS3 (factoring in HD player and Wi-Fi) than what you would with the 360 ($700). And that's not really a far comparison since I'm not accounting for HDMI, the extra 40GB HDD space, card readers, and other things which add in hundreds of more dollars depending on the way you slice it.

If people are content with what the 360 offers out of the box, then that's great. I was the same way until I factored in how much I paid for the add-ons that don't initially show up on your radar. But at this point, I'd rather save money in the long run and have anything I need at my grasp without buying an add-on for the functionality.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by DuckRacer1 View Post
Yes and no. If you don't want a built-in HD player (which even if Blu-ray fails, it'll still benefit games), Wi-Fi, 40GB extra HDD space, HDMI, etc, then yes, you'd be wasting $200. But if you want one of those things, then you're going to drive the price right up.

Take for example Wi-Fi. If someone buys a 360 and wants a wireless connection, they would have to spend $100 for the Wi-Fi add-on. Add that $100 to the $400 you pay for the 360, and that brings the total up to $500. Which isn't too far away from the PS3's $600 pricepoint. You could apply that to other add-ons as well.

Nonetheless, you're still getting much better value buying a PS3 than a 360. You'd be spending $100 less with the PS3 (factoring in HD player and Wi-Fi) than what you would with the 360 ($700). And that's not really a far comparison since I'm not accounting for HDMI, the extra 40GB HDD space, card readers, and other things which add in hundreds of more dollars depending on the way you slice it.

If people are content with what the 360 offers out of the box, then that's great. I was the same way until I factored in how much I paid for the add-ons that don't initially show up on your radar. But at this point, I'd rather save money in the long run and have anything I need at my grasp without buying an add-on for the functionality.
i agree with this. i'm a very happy 360 owner.. i don't care about wifi (what's wrong with cables when my console never gets moved around the house anyway?), i don't care about a bigger HDD or HD movie playback at this point (til the format war settles down), but if I DID want any more than one or two of the extra things the PS3 offers, the PS3 would probably come out cheaper, especially if one of those things was HD movie playback.
when it all comes down though, you buy a console for the games, and my game tastes have moved more towards Xbox offerings recently (Halo/GoW/Forza particularly), so im stoked with my 360.

if blu-ray wins out in the end il probably buy a PS3 mostly for that, and im sure there will be some kickass exclusive PS3 titles to play by then (i've always wanted to play God of War and PS3 would be quite the way to start). we'll see.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Brien
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 11:49 PM

Totally true; you buy the system for the games, not specs. And I just happen to *love* Oblivion, Halo, and Crackdown. Not to mention the upcoming games (Mass Effect anyone) so for the time, I've got a 360. Sure, when FF XIII is out, I'll probably grab a PS3, but for the near future, I don't see a point.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2007, 11:53 PM

Does a $10 Wi-Fi bridge not work with the Xbox?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2007, 12:03 AM

I haven't seen them for $10, but a wi-fi to ethernet bridge will work. Actually, I use something similar with my 360 and PS3 (since I have a 20GB model). But it is an extra layer of complexity that a lot of people don't want to deal with.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 10:30 AM

List of (future?) exclusive PS3 titles:
Originally Posted by PS3Forums
Playstation 3 Exclusive Titles:

-Afrika (Confirmed)
-Angel Rings (Published by Sony)
-Eight days (SCE)
-EyeDentify (Published by Sony)
-Fifth Phantom Saga (Confirmation)
-Final Fantasy XIII (Confirmed)
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Confirmed)
-Folks Soul
-Formula One (Published by Sony)
-Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Confirmation)
-Genji: Days of the Blade (Confirmation)
-God of War 3
-Gradius (Confirmation)
-Grand Turismo 5 (Published by Sony)
-Grand Turismo HD (Published by Sony)
-Gretzky NHL (Published by Sony)
-Heavenly Sword (Published by Sony)
-Hot Shots Golf 5 (Published by Sony)
-Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (Published by Sony)
-Killzone 3 (SCE)
-Lair (Confirmation)
-Little Big Planet
-Metal Gear Solid 4 (Confirmation)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam World (Confirmed)
-Monster Hunter 3 (Confirmation)
-Motor Storm (Published by Sony)
-My Singstar (Published by Sony)
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma
-Ni-Oh (Information)
-Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Published by Sony)
-Redwood Falls (Information)
-Resistance: Fall of Man (Confirmation)
-Resistance: Rise of Man
-Ridge Racer 7 (Confirmation)
-Shin Megami Tensei (Confirmation)
-Tekken 6 (Confirmed)
-The Eye of Judgment (SCE)
-The Getaway (SCE)
-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(SCE)
-Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SCE)
-WarDevil Enigma (Confirmation)
-Warhawk (Published by Sony)
-White Knight Story
-Wipeout (Confirmation)
Singstar and FFXIII are about the only titles that tickles my fancy. And Singstar only because it's a proven party-starter. But then again, the zillion versions of that already works fine for the PS2, so the PS3 version better bring something amazing to the table (which I don't really see happening). I know some people love God of War and Ratchet and Clank too, so that might bring some people over.

Must be a kick in the face that GTA is no longer an exclusive though.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 11:07 AM

GTA had been a time exclusive since Vice City, which was on the XBox and Windows. Kick in the face?... oh please. Stop reaching.

I'm personally wanting to check out Drake's Fortune, Lair and Heavenly Sword, and after seeing a view video reviews Warhawk. I'm more curious to see the new possible franchise games right now. I was on the fence about the changes they made, as they are pretty drastic from what the original was, but it does look like a turn for the better and might be fun with a big group.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
GTA had been a time exclusive since Vice City, which was on the XBox and Windows. Kick in the face?... oh please. Stop reaching.
8 million+ exclusive copies is a reach?

Xbox only got it after a lengthy delay.
PC -- who cares, this is about console gaming.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 11:19 AM

The point is it was NOT exclusive. Thank you. I didn't ask about numbers.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 11:20 AM

It was exclusive. Your welcome. The exclusivity was only for a limited amount of time.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 11:38 AM

Whatever floats your boat. It'll be on both, probably all three... like it has been for the last 3 versions.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 11:41 AM

Whatever floats your boat.
I win!

It'll be on both, probably all three... like it has been for the last 3 versions.
I didn't say it wouldn't be. Difference is, they'll be released simultaneously this time round, which is a huge disadvantage for Sony after last generation.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 8, 2007, 12:01 PM

I agree with that. I'm thinking about buying an Xbox360 just to play GTA, then selling it since I hate the system and microsoft.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I win!

I didn't say it wouldn't be. Difference is, they'll be released simultaneously this time round, which is a huge disadvantage for Sony after last generation.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Don't drool on the pillow.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; May 8, 2007 at 12:35 PM. )

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 12:30 PM

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Don't drool on the pillow. ;-)
I'll sleep fine knowing this is the best counter-argument you can offer: none.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 12:38 PM

I'll sleep fine knowing this is the best counter-argument you can offer: none.
I don't have to offer you a counter argument. I stand by what I said 100%. There is no proof either way, it's our respective OPINIONS. So in my book the arguement is over and we can move this thread on to bigger and better things.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 12:40 PM

It's an opinion that Sony had an exclusivity contract with Rockstar? Suuuuuure

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I agree with that. I'm thinking about buying an Xbox360 just to play GTA, then selling it since I hate the system and microsoft.
You don't think just getting a PS3 would be better than buying a 360 for one game and selling it?

Whatever floats your boat. It'll be on both, probably all three... like it has been for the last 3 versions.
All three what? Consoles? GTA has never been on a Nintendo console (unless you count the Game Boy).

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
All three what? Consoles? GTA has never been on a Nintendo console (unless you count the Game Boy).
Windows, Playstation, Xbox... 1, 2, 3

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2007, 03:41 PM

Gotcha.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
May 9, 2007, 01:07 AM

Grand Theft Auto III:
PS2: October 22, 2001
Xbox: November 4, 2003 (Only released in the GTA Double Pack)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
PS2: October 29, 2002
Xbox: November 4, 2003 (Only released in the GTA Double Pack)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

PS2: October 25, 2004
Xbox: June 6, 2005

I don't know about you, but having timed exclusivity of a year for one of the biggest franchises out there being thrown out the window is a kick in the face. Not to mention, when Joe Gamer wants to play GTA4 but doesn't have a console to do so, he's going to spend $400 for a 360 instead of $600 for a PS3. Before, if you wanted to play GTA on something other than a PlayStation, you'd have to wait a ridiculous amount of time to do so, or else you'd have to buy a PS2. Now, that's not the case.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 01:15 AM

Come off it. Time-limited exclusivity is also exclusivity. Seriously. The reason I got the PS2 was for the GTA-series.

And it will also be the reason I'll pick up a 360.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 9, 2007, 01:15 AM

Hence why I'll probably get an Xbox 360, then sell it. I'd rather have a PS3, but I can't justify a $600 gaming system. Especially when there are so many good games that I haven't played yet for the PS2. Hell, I probably won't even get a 360. I like my PS2, thugh I haven't used it in 4 months since I can't hook it up to my iMac.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Come off it. Time-limited exclusivity is also exclusivity. Seriously. The reason I got the PS2 was for the GTA-series.

And it will also be the reason I'll pick up a 360.
Big f*ckin deal. I wouldn't buy either system just for this game alone. To each their own. I got a PS2 for various games I wanted not just one game.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 02:34 AM

You forget that you are just one person. Extrapolating data from your own anecdotal experience isn't wise when discussing the future of a market as a whole.

Franchises are a BIG DEAL when it comes to choosing a console. More to the point - franchises that are exclusive to a platform drive sales. See Halo and the X-box for instance.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 08:27 AM

Let's not forget that as of right now, the 360 is the only one planning on having downloadable content.

P
May 9, 2007, 12:05 PM

Really? Virtual Console on the Wii and extra songs for Singstar on the PS3 don't count?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 12:52 PM

He's talking about Grand Theft Auto IV, not the consoles in general.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 06:18 PM

Let's not forget that as of right now, the 360 is the only one planning on having downloadable content.
Which is an exclusivity all on it's own.

If the PS3 version would have had better graphics, that would also count as an exclusivity (albeit a small one). But alas, no multi-platform game has really shown improved graphics on the PS3. Heck, some games even have WORSE graphics on the PS3 (Marvel Ultimate Alliance).

Rumor
May 9, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Which is an exclusivity all on it's own.

If the PS3 version would have had better graphics, that would also count as an exclusivity (albeit a small one). But alas, no multi-platform game has really shown improved graphics on the PS3. Heck, some games even have WORSE graphics on the PS3 (Marvel Ultimate Alliance).
I like the color on the 360 much better from those examples.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 06:51 PM

Screenshots of the 360 always look darker and more saturated than the PS3 for whatever reason. I don't think the graphics per se are any different, although the frame rate on the PS3 version is supposedly be a bit worse. I had both versions of this game briefly and I can't say that I actually noticed any major differences.

Forum Links
Forum Rules