Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Saft and Hao Li

Saft and Hao Li
Boise Ed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2011, 04:28 PM

For several years, Saft has been a valuable addition to Safari. Its developer, Hao Li, has nearly always been right on top of Safari updates, having the corresponding Saft update ready very quickly. Now, however, it has been months since Safari 5.1 for Snow Leopard came out, and the latest Saft continues to be Saft 13.1.5 for Safari 5.0.5 -- which does not work with Safari 5.1. Does anyone here have any way to find out if Hao Li has been hit by a bus, or died, or retired from Saft development?

Thorzdad
Aug 25, 2011, 04:49 PM

Have you asked Hao Li directly?

Boise Ed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2011, 05:26 PM

Yes, through his Web site (http://haoli.dnsalias.com/contact), a couple of weeks ago, and I've had no reply.

Boise Ed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2011, 12:41 AM

Now it appears that Hao Li's site has disappeared. At least, Safari gives the "can't open the page" message.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2011, 01:27 AM

I can still pull up the page.

However, since the last version is for Leopard, it seems like Saft is now abandonware.

-t

Boise Ed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2011, 07:58 PM

Yes, the page opens again; that hitch was apparently a temporary one. I had hoped that either someone here knows Hao Li or had nonpublic contact with him, so we could find out if he has been hit by a bus, or died, or retired from Saft development. I guess that will forever remain a mystery.

W8kwses
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2011, 06:49 PM

For several days/weeks haoli.dnsalias.com has been off-line leading me to think Saft is history.

Glims does much of the same although there are rough edges one of which I have contacted them about, which is downloads' folder naming and selection being integrated with Safaris own download folder selection scheme, such that pre-naming a folder according to what Glims would do results in Glims using the prenamed folder instead of creating a duplicate-named folder within the Safari one.

Boise Ed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2011, 02:55 PM

Such pity! I wish that, at the least, he could sell Saft to Apple for them to incorporate into Safari. It made Safari SO much better!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by W8kwses View Post
For several days/weeks haoli.dnsalias.com has been off-line leading me to think Saft is history.

Glims does much of the same although there are rough edges one of which I have contacted them about, which is downloads' folder naming and selection being integrated with Safaris own download folder selection scheme, such that pre-naming a folder according to what Glims would do results in Glims using the prenamed folder instead of creating a duplicate-named folder within the Safari one.

I don't understand. You can change Safari's download folder to be whatever you want.

What did Saft do that can no longer be done?

jhfrontz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't understand. You can change Safari's download folder to be whatever you want.

What did Saft do that can no longer be done?

Saft automatically created and changed the download folder (e.g., to match the current date/time). It was invaluable for organizing things automatically.

Forum Links
Forum Rules