Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Interesting.... (big image)

Interesting.... (big image) (Page 3)
raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2012, 08:29 PM

Wow, I'm glad you guys are getting it. Bad maps are one of my pet peeves: it's an insult to my profession. Bad maps that are used for propaganda are an insult to my humanity.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
"all the Germans"? All, like, six of them?
Subtle way to make my point about maps being deceiving.
Am I misreading the colors?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 02:52 AM

You're falling for the same trap as the rob:

The areas with overwhelmingly German descent are areas where hardly anybody lives at all.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 02:59 AM

You're assuming I'm making an absolute statement (question) instead of a relative one.

If I'm in the middle of Nebraska, where there's only three people, if two of them are Germans, I still ask "what's with all the Germans?"

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2012, 04:24 AM

Historically speaking, that's always a prudent question.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 05:46 AM

^ tread softly there, raleur.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You're assuming I'm making an absolute statement (question) instead of a relative one.

If I'm in the middle of Nebraska, where there's only three people, if two of them are Germans, I still ask "what's with all the Germans?"
And "most of America" voted Republican.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 06:18 AM

I'm having trouble connecting your statement to mine.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 28, 2012, 06:22 AM

So.... I guess I hate black people. Weird. I never knew I was racist... but according to my maps, I am.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 07:10 AM

I'm having trouble connecting your statement to mine.
The map shows that large stretches of land are populated primarily by people of German descent.

Other maps show that nobody lives there. So looking at one map, you wonder about "all those Germans", but in fact, there's really not that many of them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
So.... I guess I hate black people. Weird. I never knew I was racist... but according to my maps, I am.
According to the logic you've been using in this thread, you probably should be.

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2012, 08:23 AM

The map shows that large stretches of land are populated primarily by people of German descent.
Other maps show that nobody lives there. So looking at one map, you wonder about "all those Germans", but in fact, there's really not that many of them.
Stop dissing Wisconsin.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 28, 2012, 08:29 AM

Wisconsin is pretty sparse, save for the two counties I live in. I hate it here. It's not so much my state that's bad, it's the surrounding states. Flat nothingness. To get anywhere interesting you have to drive over 10 hours. That sucks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 08:31 AM

I'm not talking about all those Germans in the entire country, I'm talking about all those Germans in Nebraska.

To put it another way, of the people who live in those empty areas, why are they German?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 28, 2012, 09:19 AM

To put it another way, of the people who live in those empty areas, why are they German?
The land was cheap in the late 40s?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 09:25 AM

Racist.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2012, 11:13 AM

Well, although I may get in trouble with Harlot for saying so, most of the "German-ness" of those areas is rooted in historical circumstance.

Look up "Forty-Eighters" and you'll see that the largest wave of German immigration came after 1848. Their arrival coincided with another cycle of westward expansion, which this time took place in the Great Plains and the newly-annexed Texas.

So, short answer: they are there because when their ancestors arrived, that's where the cheap land was.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2012, 11:24 AM

Wisconsin is pretty sparse, save for the two counties I live in. I hate it here. It's not so much my state that's bad, it's the surrounding states. Flat nothingness. To get anywhere interesting you have to drive over 10 hours. That sucks.
Move
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 11:39 AM

What about the cheese?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2012, 11:51 AM

I've heard buttermilk is awesome there as well.....you can buy it in 512ml drink cartons? Wild

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 12:05 PM

Wisconsin has the world's most complete museum devoted to torture devices and the world's largest six-pack. Those seem interesting.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 28, 2012, 12:27 PM

Been to both places already. Not really that fun.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2012, 12:50 PM

You hear on american TV shows that Wisconsin is the best place (in America) for cheese. Do you get much imported cheese over there? Do americans make any good blue cheeses?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 PM

Vermont! Cabot Cheese FTW!

That said, I have been on the Heileman Brewery tour. I was however underage and not allowed to tastetest at the end of the tour.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 01:36 PM

Most good Wisconsin cheese is exported out of state.

You can get good (internationally) imported cheese in cities.

Blue cheese is gross.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2012, 02:30 PM

Blue cheese is gross.
No, the blue cheese that you have tasted is gross. You now need to taste good blue cheese.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2012, 04:31 PM

Mmmm. Stilton or Roquefort?

There is also a nice blue made with buffalo milk.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by raleur View Post
Well, although I may get in trouble with Harlot for saying so, most of the "German-ness" of those areas is rooted in historical circumstance.

Look up "Forty-Eighters" and you'll see that the largest wave of German immigration came after 1848. Their arrival coincided with another cycle of westward expansion, which this time took place in the Great Plains and the newly-annexed Texas.

So, short answer: they are there because when their ancestors arrived, that's where the cheap land was.
Bingo.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2012, 07:18 PM

Just for the sake of comparison, I downloaded the same census information that the original mapmaker used and re-colored the map using standard increments of 10%.

I didn't have time to do the entire country, but chose Mississippi, one of the poorest states, as an example. Here's what I came up with:

6938/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I tried to keep the same color scheme, although there are problems with that as well.

In any case, you should notice that there's a lot fewer dramatic red spots: obviously, whoever drew the map deliberately chose a method that exaggerated the extent of poverty.

And there's something else I discovered that shows that the map is intended to mislead:

First, some background: When it comes to estimations, the Census bureau never gives exact figures. rather, it supplies a range of three numbers called a confidence interval. These intervals represent the high and low boundaries of the estimate (because not everyone responds to census data, the figures cannot be exact). So, for example, DeSoto county, the only county with less than 10% poverty, has a confidence interval of 7.4, 9.0, 10.6. This means that 9% is the best estimate, but recognizes that it could be as low as 7.4% or as high as 10.6%.

So, when I started populating the map, I noticed some discrepancies where the colors should be the same, but weren't. But then, when I plugged in the high boundary instead of the best estimate, they fell into place. In other words, the original map maker chose the worst-case numbers, not the numbers with the highest confidence.

In short, there's only one reason you'd make such a map: to mislead.

Oh, and real Roquefort is the best cheese ever to exist.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 11:36 PM

A map geek!

We found a map geek!

Awesome work, raleur. Thanks for the effort.

You should post that to snopes.com, along with the original piece of shit that Rob posted.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 11:46 PM

That is awesome, I'm impressed.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2012, 05:05 AM

Nate Silver is that you?

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2012, 05:33 AM

Thanks guys!

I'm glad you liked it, but it's just a quick redraw, far from being snopes-worthy. There is still a lot of potential for misleading people with the new map.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 05:40 AM

It's a perfect medium to pull a fast one since Americans seem to lack interest in geography.

Never really understood that lack of interest.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2012, 06:14 AM

It's a perfect medium to pull a fast one since Americans seem to lack interest in geography.
Never really understood that lack of interest.
Yeah, that's a sad fact, especially since geography has a lot more influence over us than most people think.

The other point, one which I should have made more clearly in my discussion with Besson, is that data is never "just data": no complex information ever stands by itself. There's a whole realm of non-verbal rhetoric that takes place when we present images like this, and more often than not, that non-verbal rhetoric is much more persuasive than anything we might say or write about it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Mmmm. Stilton or Roquefort?
There is also a nice blue made with buffalo milk.
Oh, and real Roquefort is the best cheese ever to exist.
My fav blue cheese is Fourme d'Ambert, from the middle of France. Not as sharp as Stilton, its creamy yet you get that blue cheese 'kick'. I like St. Agur as well but cheese snobs wouldn't approve.

I find Roquefort too strong.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
My fav blue cheese is Fourme d'Ambert, from the middle of France. Not as sharp as Stilton, its creamy yet you get that blue cheese 'kick'. I like St. Agur as well but cheese snobs wouldn't approve.
I find Roquefort too strong.
Yes, those are also good- Fourme de Montbrison is similar, I can't tell the difference between it and d'Ambert.

It's been a long time since I lived in France, so I haven't heard anything regarding St. Agur, and I've never tried it. Why won't cheese snobs approve of it? Because it's not one of the historical cheeses?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2012, 09:40 AM

The guy in france and the new poster with a french sounding name talking cheese. Be still my beating heart.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2012, 10:05 AM

I like a fine American Cheese on a Ritz cracker.

Classy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2012, 10:09 AM

Velveeta on a saltine.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2012, 10:10 AM

Cheez whiz on Spam

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2012, 10:12 AM

Spray Cheeze on hand

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2012, 10:16 AM

why get your hands dirty?

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 29, 2012, 11:02 AM

Raluer: color me impressed. However.... even if the person adjusted the scale as to what percentage changes to what color, as long as it was consistently applied to the ENTIRE NATION, how is it misleading? If anything, the values were adjusted to highlight the differences, instead of a simple scale/value change that ends up with a fairly bland map that doesn't tell you much. Isn't adjusting the scale HELPFUL, as it helps show you the data?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2012, 11:06 AM

Yes, those are also good- Fourme de Montbrison is similar, I can't tell the difference between it and d'Ambert.
It's been a long time since I lived in France, so I haven't heard anything regarding St. Agur, and I've never tried it. Why won't cheese snobs approve of it? Because it's not one of the historical cheeses?
Its a big brand found in most supermarkets in the UK and presumably France too.

I've not tried either of those two you mention. For me a Stilton from Paxton & Whitfield is really tough to beat, especially for creaminess. I've never found another Stilton to match it. Which reminds me its been ages since I had any...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2012, 11:09 AM

I bet

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 AM

Wake me up when we get to Dutch Gouda.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 11:40 AM

Raluer: color me impressed. However.... even if the person adjusted the scale as to what percentage changes to what color, as long as it was consistently applied to the ENTIRE NATION, how is it misleading? If anything, the values were adjusted to highlight the differences, instead of a simple scale/value change that ends up with a fairly bland map that doesn't tell you much. Isn't adjusting the scale HELPFUL, as it helps show you the data?
No, like he said, they're changing the data too, using the worst possible results for the South and the best for other states. The entire thing is hinky.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 01:12 PM

Okay.

Try this:

Look at your map of poverty. Now imagine adjusting the scale to three categories:

0-5%
6-12%
12-89%

All of a sudden, THE WHOLE COUNTRY except for a very few elite pockets looks like a poverty-stricken shithole.

And also: Look! They're all in the category up to 89% poverty! Holy shit, that's not even just a few pockets being "elite", that's the rest being REALLY REALLY BAD.

Notice that raleur's map scaled to 49%. Yours went to 69%.

There's also the outright selective FALSIFICATION of data, by not using the same criteria across the nation. It is exactly NOT what you are suggesting — consistently applied.

There's a number of other ways you are being manipulated by misleading data that could probably be sussed out, depending upon which maps you're looking at.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 29, 2012, 01:29 PM

Okay.
Try this:
Look at your map of poverty. Now imagine adjusting the scale to three categories:
0-5%
6-12%
12-89%
All of a sudden, THE WHOLE COUNTRY except for a very few elite pockets looks like a poverty-stricken shithole.
And also: Look! They're all in the category up to 89% poverty! Holy shit, that's not even just a few pockets being "elite", that's the rest being REALLY REALLY BAD.
Notice that raleur's map scaled to 49%. Yours went to 69%.
There's also the outright selective FALSIFICATION of data, by not using the same criteria across the nation. It is exactly NOT what you are suggesting — consistently applied.
There's a number of other ways you are being manipulated by misleading data that could probably be sussed out, depending upon which maps you're looking at.
Okay.. but like I said.... if you adjust the data you way you suggested, the whole country looks poor. Right? Right. So it isn't a good way to do so, because it makes the entire country look fairly homogeneous.

Now... . on the flip side, if you do what Raleur did, he changed the scales so that the entire state looks pretty decent. Right?

So what the maps I posted did was... use the data that shows the DIFFERENCE most drastically. Isn't that the entire point of an infographical map? To adjust the scales so that some usable information can be extracted?

What you just suggested makes the entire nation look poor. What he did was adjust things so the entire nation looks pretty decent. Neither is very good at teaching us anything, because the whole point of a map like this is to show what changes.

The map I posted adjusted the scales to show the largest difference areas....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rob
if you adjust the data you way you suggested, the whole country looks poor. Right? Right. So it isn't a good way to do so, because it makes the entire country look fairly homogeneous.

Now... . on the flip side, if you do what Raleur did, he changed the scales so that the entire state looks pretty decent. Right?
No, what raleur did was that he EVENED OUT the scales, to that each category gets equal weight.
THAT is why everything looks decent: BECAUSE IT IS.

If you create a statistic that measures a class in the categories "A+ to A", "A- to B-", and "C+ and below", the whole class looks like shit, except for a few positive outliers.
If you use the categories "A+ to A-", "B+ to B-", "C+ to C-", "D+ to D-", and "F", you will get a decent result, with an average around C.

Which of those two systems gives you realistic picture?

Look at the categories used by your lying sack o' shit mapmaker.

List them.

Take a goooood look at them and think them over.

raleur didn't "change the scales so that the entire state looks pretty decent". He equally weighted the scales to get a more accurate picture of reality. It is REALITY that looks pretty decent.

A wholly separate issue is that the numbers themselves were falsified, by assuming the statistically possible worst-case for all states to be pigeon-holed, and the statistically possible BEST-case for all others. That's not even "adjusting the scales"; that's just using completely different data depending upon location.

To get back to the grading example above, that would be like graphing the test grades for an English exam across two classes, but only using grade results from the non-native speakers in one class, and only using data from the native speakers in the other.

Forum Links
Forum Rules