Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > need more help with my dog, ugh!!!

need more help with my dog, ugh!!!
macfantn
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 08:58 PM

Okay so I took my boston terrier to the vet, she had been peeing daily in her crate which she hadn't done since I first got her. She had a bladder infection, i gave her antibiotics, didn't cure anything. They gave me another round of antibiotics, different stuff. ran through those. she is still peeing in her crate everday. The vet told me if these didn't work it might be psychological.

I am getting very tired of coming home everyday to a nasty pee covered crate. I have no idea what to do. I have cut back on her water, I don't give her water after 9 pm, and take her out 3 times in the morning once when and i get up and twice before I leave to work. She pees most every time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Jeremy F.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 01:50 AM

How old is she? I had the same problem with my boston; she would have accidents all the time in her crate when I'd leave home. She still has an accident every now and then, and she's almost two years. It's frustrating, but she should eventually outgrow it.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 09:50 AM

she is 1.5 yrs old, i've had her for 3 months first 3 weeks she had to adjust got her from a rescue then she was fine. now for the last 3 weeks she pees daily in the crate. I don't how to make her stop.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2006, 12:19 PM

a small cork?

seriously; they do make small doggie diapers. maybe you need to go that route for awhile.
( Last edited by residentEvil; Nov 3, 2006 at 12:39 PM. )

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 05:19 PM

Reduce the size of your crate. She shouldn't be able to urinate on one side and lay down on the other. A Boston Terrier is a small breed, she should have enough room to lay down but not much more. Generally, dogs will not want to sleep or lay in their waste.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 12:38 AM

Good point on crate size.

My Cairn Terrier was just a marker. Crate or no crate. I found my un-neutered female dog was the problem.

Honestly, before I discovered that, I just gave up on the crate with him. I sectioned him a larger area, he still peed regardless of walks. But it was easier to wipe a mark than clean the crate.

But if she had a bladder infection, it leads me else where. Can you get a second opinion? Female dogs do not like like peeing in there area. Something isn't right here.

Nov 4, 2006, 02:21 PM

I bet your dog thinks that going to the bathroom in her crate means that you will come home.

On the other hand, maybe your dog just can't hold it as long as you want her to? How many hours are you gone in a day? Dogs should not have to wait to go to the bathroom for more than 8 hours. After all, humans have to go more frequently than every 8 hours also.

Maybe you should schedule your lunch hour so that you run home to let her out so that she can relieve herself.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 02:57 PM

Make sure that you clean the crate with a good, enzyme-based cleaner, every time. Dogs have a better sense of smell than we do, and even if we can't smell the pee residue anymore, the dog can.

Crate size is another issue. Dogs in the wild make dens that are not much bigger than they are. You shouldn't feel guilty about putting a dog in a crate that's just big enough to lie down in, it's what they're comfortable with!

Forum Links
Forum Rules