Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > New responsive design I'm creating doesn't work right on iPad - need some input!

New responsive design I'm creating doesn't work right on iPad - need some input!
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2013, 11:23 AM

I'm updating the WP template of a site I own to use the whole responsive thing, so that it looks good on tablets and phones.

What I've come up with works GREAT on Android and desktop browsers. However, it's completely broken in iOS, and I can't figure out why. I tested it last night on an iPad running iOS 6, and it's definitely broken - confirmed with a friend, too.

If anyone here (a) has an iPad and (b) has some experience with responsive web design, please PM me or IM me (shifuimam at gmail dot com on Google talk, or shifuimam on AIM). The site is under my real name, so I don't want to post a link here.

Thanks!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 01:36 PM

Are you using a grid layout, or doing this by hand? I would strongly suggest using something like the Bootstrap responsive grid layout.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2013, 03:14 PM

I'm not using someone else's code. I learn nothing by just going the copypasta route.

It looks like my problems have to do with how the iPad's browser rendering engine handles the :hover psuedoclass. I may just have to use javascript instead.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm not using someone else's code. I learn nothing by just going the copypasta route.

It looks like my problems have to do with how the iPad's browser rendering engine handles the :hover psuedoclass. I may just have to use javascript instead.

Suit yourself, but I think you're just reinventing the wheel. By using an existing responsive grid system you aren't skipping on learning something, you are just saying yourself the headaches of figuring out how big each grid width should be on all the different viewport sizes supported by the grid. The grids are not complicated at all, you'll pick up on the concepts of them in a few minutes. You could recreate them yourself if you knew the dimensions to plug in.

Besides, couldn't you say that if you use jQuery, YUI or the like you are "learning nothing" by using these Javascript abstractions?

andi*pandi
Sep 19, 2013, 05:39 PM

If she's got the time and the energy, more power to her. I definitely sometimes frustrated/mystified by other people's code. Hell is other people's code.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If she's got the time and the energy, more power to her. I definitely sometimes frustrated/mystified by other people's code. Hell is other people's code.

I understand that, but in this case we're not even talking about code, just CSS rules.

Forum Links
Forum Rules