Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 (with OSX on a diff partition) troubles

OS9 (with OSX on a diff partition) troubles
chel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 08:26 AM

I've got a g4 dual-500 with 384 megs of Apple ram.

Before I installed OSX, I initialized my drive into two partitions, and installed OS9 (from the disk that came with OSX) onto both partitions (one a scaled back version for Classic mode, one a full version), and installed OSX onto one partition (the one with the scaled back OS9). Because I depend on SCSI devices (need my scanner and cd writer all day), and OSX doesn't support them, I needed to revert back to using OS9 full time. So I am using the fuller version.

Here's the deal:
- constant crashes. We are talking about 5 a day. I checked the extensions manager and disabled everything I could, but it's just not helping. Does anyone have any inside info on what to disable and what not to disable to make OS9 with the OSX components stop crashing?!?!

- the General Controls control panel keeps resetting itself every time I shut down my machine. It reverts back to "folder set by document" for opening/saving prefs and not checking the computer when it starts up after a crash. I trashed the prefs on this guy, no solution.

- refuses to recognize my USB devices half the time. Every time I start up, it decides it doesn't recognize two of my USB devices, even though they are properly installed. I have to spend a couple of minutes telling it not to search for drivers already installed! And yes, I checked the manufacturers website for updates and reinstalled everything fresh from disk. No help!

I did a clean install, wiped out half my apps and their extensions and prefs- nothing is helping. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just reinstall from my original OS9 disk and forget OSX until I can use it? Arghhh!
email:
[email protected]
m remove the NOSPAM part

Meteo
May 23, 2001, 09:32 AM

zap PRAm, rebuild desktop, install the new statup disk panel(http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n12078), and the new disk first aid (http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n12187), run disk first aid
what else?
make a fsck when you boot on os X: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n106214
be careful both startup disk and DFA require os 9.1
but are you running os 9.1?? it is the only fully compatible with X, I hope you remember...
"It's not a bug, it's a feature..."
I do love these guys....

chel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 11:03 AM

Yeah, as I said in my original post, I installed OS9 off the disk that came with OSX, so it's 9.1.

Did all that stuff already, nothing helped.
email:
[email protected]
m remove the NOSPAM part

Forum Links
Forum Rules