Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > which do i buy?

which do i buy?
fr33daddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 10:26 PM

ok, now ive got about 1300-1400 dollars to spend and i need to find a laptop that will run really well, not give me a lot of trouble, fulfill all of my student needs, but still let me do some cool stuff as well. i cant afford a powerbook, and ive had friends tell me that if i cant get the powerbook, id be much better off spending the money on a nice PC laptop instead of an ibook because "ibooks have terrible buses, so that no matter how good your processor and RAM is, it'll still lag". i know this is the ibook forum, but, i thought considering my situation you might be able to give me some insight.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 10:40 PM

Your friends are lying. There have been logic board issues with iBook G3s, but nothing matching their vague description.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 10:47 PM

Go for the iBook. Great machine. I'm trying to convince my sister to get one, but all her windows friends are convincing her to get a p.c. (and I think they might win). I don't know how to convince her to get a mac, but since you seem like you want to, DEFINETLEY go for it!

rastatero
Aug 10, 2004, 10:58 PM

The current iBook lineup are all equiped with a 133Mhz bus, while the current powerbooks are at 166Mhz. The iBook's current bus speed is equivalent to the bus speed of the previous generation G4 powerbooks. The minute difference in bus speed will hardly be noticed in performing many of the daily tasks and functions of academia. I am currently running a 12" 1Ghz iBook with 768MB ram and photoshop and office products run quickly and smoothly. Not to mention all of the iLife software. I would recommend it for someone looking to purchase a machine in your given price range. -- Tony

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 11:38 PM

iBook G4, definetely.

$1300 doesn't get you an iBook. It gets you a 12" iBook, AirPort Card, Bluetooth, and an extra 512MB of RAM. Unless you are a hard drive hog there isn't anything else a student needs.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 10:49 AM

wow, thanks, i'll definitely go for the ibook then!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 03:05 AM

Definitely go for a machine with airport and possibly bluetooth if you think you'll want/need it in the future. I would never recomend buying one without airport, but some people don't need bluetooth. Also get a stick of 512mb or 1gb of ram ASAP. 512mb should be more than adaquate for a student's uses. I'm going to be going into my sophomore year this year and I just purchased a new 15" PowerBook. Trust me when I say you'll love the Mac. They are great machines!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 07:20 AM

Just to clarify it for the original poster, iBook G4's come with 256mb ram soldered onto the logic board. So if you buy an additional 512mb you will have a total of 768mb which is quite a good amount for a Mac.

Also keep in mind it is always far cheaper to buy the ram somewhere else and install it your self. It is really easy. All you need is a really small screw driver to open up the cover it goes under.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

artaxerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 12:04 PM

As a long term PC user - I even had a windows laptop - before the joy of owning the new 1GHz iBook. Ultraportable, light with a long battery life. Holds everything you need - though I would recommend a larger hard drive for the inevitable mp3/mpeg collections - especially if there is networking at your Uni.

Enjoy.
MacBook C2D 1.83GHz 1Gig 120GB Shuffle 512MB

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 12:30 PM

wow, thanks, i really appreciate all the input

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by artaxerxes:
Ultraportable, light with a long battery life. Holds everything you need - though I would recommend a larger hard drive for the inevitable mp3/mpeg collections.
Agreed, get the largest hard drive size you can afford without skimping on ram. And you can always get an external.

Right now, I'm using a G4 1Ghz iBook 14" with 1.12GB of ram. The hard drive is 60GB, but I also have a 120GB and 160GB external hard drive along with an external Pioneer DVD burner and a bunch of other stuff.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by fr33daddy:
ive got about 1300-1400 dollars to spend...
$1399 (after edu discount) gets you the lowest level powerbook. an ibook is fine, however you will quickly find it limits and may always lust after the powerbook. remember, this is an investment and the powerbook is the better machine. and you can afford it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2004, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by teknopimp:
$1399 (after edu discount) gets you the lowest level powerbook. an ibook is fine, however you will quickly find it limits and may always lust after the powerbook. remember, this is an investment and the powerbook is the better machine. and you can afford it.
The differences between PowerBook and iBook are small enough these days that it's worth considering a maxed-out iBook G4 vs a bare-bones PowerBook G4, especially for a student.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
The differences between PowerBook and iBook are small enough these days that it's worth considering a maxed-out iBook G4 vs a bare-bones PowerBook G4, especially for a student.
what IS maxed out? if you add up pricing for 60G HD, BT, and AP your total is $1132 (again, edu price). the difference is only $267. still no DVI, no audio, stuck with 32mb vram, slower bus/ram, etc. and what IS bare-bones for a powerbook: stock ram, that's it, you can't dumb it down. the powerbook already comes with a lot of things a pro might need. the ibook is a fine student computer but the powerbook is better. i had a tibook as a student. the point of the poster is that he has $1400 and is concerned about 'lag'. the powerbook is the solution. check the benchmarks, there's really no comparison. so why would someone who can afford a powerbook buy an ibook?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2004, 03:49 PM

so why would someone who can afford a powerbook buy an ibook?

1. iBook is sturdier if s/he travels a lot

2. iBook is reported to have marginally better AirPort range and battery life

3. If s/he has $1400 to spend, that'll buy an iBook plus a 512 RAM stick and AppleCare and an AirPort card. (The Powerbook, however, comes with the AirPort card bundled free. But then, so did my iBook, thanks to a sale at the store I bought it at.) So you wind up with a possibly superior package for the same amount of money.

As always, what you should buy depends on what you do with it. If you plan on adding an Apple monitor or need the extra hard drive space (double the capacity) or do a lot of graphics, then the PB is a better choice.
I really lusted after the 12" Powerbook, which has got to be the coolest looking maching around, but since I don't really use my Mac for anything that demanded higher performance (just word processing, web surfing, email, a little website building), the iBook seemed like a better value for my intended uses.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 04:18 PM

I wouldn't get the 60 gig drive.

I would upgrade to the 40 gig internal and then get an external firewire drive. You don't need to carry all your media files and other nonessential files with you all the time. The iBook drive is slow anyway. I have been able to stick a 120gig 7200RPM drive in a firewire case and I store all the files I don't need on a regular basis on that. Plus I used it to back up my data and installed a copy of panther on it. The 7200RPMs make for a speedier machine when I am at my desk and it seems like a sounder investment then the bigger internal drive.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 12:00 PM

wait, how does having an external firewire drive make the machine run faster? and how much do those usually cost?

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Aug 16, 2004, 05:55 PM

In the last 2 years, I've owned and used every Apple laptop out except for the 17 inch, starting from a 700 mhz ibook, up to a 1.25 15 powerbook. I also run a large Windows and Linux network, and a citrix server farm. In the last 6 years I've probalby bought and personally setup up close to 1000 laptops. so what am I using now? A 1ghz ibook.

I found that the ibook does just about everything I want, and i wasn't paying a premium for stuff I didn't use, like DVI. Alot of people seem to think that the ibook is a lowend computer, when it has better specs then last years 12 inch powerbook that everyone was drooling over.

Benchmarks are all finding and dandy for measuring your genital size, but real world, unless your doing heavy duty video editing, or super uber photoshop work, you won't noticed a difference, especially for a college student. Hell, my sister just graduated from college and she's still using a 6 year old 266 Micron laptop.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 08:53 PM

Apple Certified PowerBook G4 12-inch TFT

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/256MB/60GB/Combo/AP Extreme Card/E/12-inch/Aluminum - Apple Certified
Learn More
� Save 16% off the original price
� Qualifies for FREE shipping

Original price: $1,599.00
Your price: $1,349.00

you can so get a powerbook.

apple certified (refurbed)

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Forum Links
Forum Rules