Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do the ibook G4's have fan's in them?

Do the ibook G4's have fan's in them?
jjdgap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 11:53 PM

I have an ibook G4 800 and there is no fan in it. I know this because I also have a powerbook 12'' and the fan goes on all the time. The reason I am posting this question is because I have seen several disassembled ibook G4's on the web with fans inside them! Please someone let me know if they have ever heard a fan go on in their ibook G4 Thanks.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 01:02 AM

Yes, there is a fan but it only goes on when it needs to be on. And an iBook is not a Powerbook so do not expect them to always have the same heat threshold. Your powerbook has different heat venting processes and the materials of the laptops also factor in. Run your iBook hard with something that is processor intensive for a while and that fan will kick in.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jjdgap  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 01:15 AM

Yes I am aware of all these factors. And we have had our ibook running for hours in poor ventilation, sitting on a pillow in 30 degree weather and still no fan! I just wanted to know if there actually is one in there.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 01:59 AM

there is a fan but it rarely comes on. sitting on a pillow will not do much because the ibooks vent out the keyboard. 30 degree weather will not matter much because the ibooks are designed for external tempurater's of up to 35 degree's and if its just sitting there then the computer is not generating much heat.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 09:30 AM

Do all iBooks vent out the keyboard? I've never heard of this before. But it sounds cool. My experience with the new powerbooks is that the fan runs frequently enough to notice.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

adamjaskie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 10:14 AM

I've had the fan in my 1ghz running. Do something processor intensive and keep it running for a while with the laptop plugged in. It should come on after a while.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by AleroLeanne:
Do all iBooks vent out the keyboard? I've never heard of this before. But it sounds cool. My experience with the new powerbooks is that the fan runs frequently enough to notice.
actually they vent from just above the keyboard right near the display. I was referring to the general area and how it wouldn't mattter much if it was on a pillow.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 12:57 PM

That's all I wondered...I always thought the pillow was bad so it's good to know it doesn't make a difference with the iBook's. I'd be holding mine up in the air for nothing - haha!

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:26 PM

apple warns against it but I think it would be fine if the fan was off if the fan happens to come on you should lift it. and their is a vent on the opposite side as the battery for intake so if the fan come's on you know its getting to the point where you should consider keeping it in a cooler place, so it doesn't overheat. If the fan is off the ibook is cool though.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2004, 04:11 AM

My iBook G4 1Ghz 12" gets hot very quickly. It used to take playing a game or using the iTunes vizualiser to get it going. Now all I have to do is play a quicktime movie or run a few programs and the fans come on and stay on for about 20 minutes. It is sitting on a desk, plugged in and the room temperature is usually 19-22 degrees C. I always have an external display plugged in, and it has 512mb of ram.

I take it this isn't normal? The area under the keyboard gets too hot to touch.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

rastatero
Oct 1, 2004, 11:36 AM

I have had my powerbook for nearly two months and the fans have only kicked on once. At my desk, the rear is propped up on a box of staples and I run all kinds of programs including watching iTunes visualizations hours on end. I frequently use the iBook on my bed and lap with no heat problem. I love my iBook. I also keep my iBook running hours on end with no sleep without any problem. I love my iBook!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by nJm:
My iBook G4 1Ghz 12" gets hot very quickly. It used to take playing a game or using the iTunes vizualiser to get it going. Now all I have to do is play a quicktime movie or run a few programs and the fans come on and stay on for about 20 minutes. It is sitting on a desk, plugged in and the room temperature is usually 19-22 degrees C. I always have an external display plugged in, and it has 512mb of ram.

I take it this isn't normal? The area under the keyboard gets too hot to touch.
I suspect its because you have the external display connected making the gpu hot(the gpu can get hotter than the cpu).

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2004, 12:39 AM

The reason I'm concerned is because I have a friend with an identical setup, and his never gets hot enough to run the fan unless he is doing something with 3D (games, itunes visualizer). Mine seems to get hotter much faster and more often.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Forum Links
Forum Rules