Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PROBLEM With installing 10.5 from a DMG.

PROBLEM With installing 10.5 from a DMG.
infamous78903
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2008, 01:25 PM

PROBLEM With Finding one of my startup disks

To start off i have a PowerBook G4

I have a Mac OS x 10.5 dmg file and I'm restoring my external hard-drive (320 GB) in order to use this hard-drive as a start up disk to install Mac OS x 10.5 on my computer (i do not want to boot every time from my external harddrive but what im trying to do, instead of wasting a DVD, is I'm using my external hard-drive as a DVD and installing Mac OS x 10.5 from there). First i erase everything on the external hard-drive using Disk Utility. Once everything is erased from the external hard-drive I restore all the data from the Mac OS x 10.5 dmg file to my external hard-drive successfully using disk utility again. Now the next step should be go to system preferences then to startup disk. However once it loads all the possible startup disks (I run Mac OS x 10.4.11) Tiger and Network Startup show up but no Mac OS x 10.5 shows up!! This is my problem

If you guys can help me and pin point what I'm doing wrong that would be awesome!

Help me please!!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2008, 01:27 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, your post is in the wrong subforum, I'll move it in a second.

Can I ask why you chose to use a DMG file rather than the installer disc?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 02:05 PM

Start with your blank HDD. Open the dmg on your Macs own hard drive. Open terminal and type:

open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"

find the file OSinstall mpkg and double click on it. This opens the OS X installer from the dmg. Install on your extrnal drive as normal. It runs much much faster than from a DVD.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Start with your blank HDD. Open the dmg on your Macs own hard drive. Open terminal and type:

open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"

find the file OSinstall mpkg and double click on it. This opens the OS X installer from the dmg. Install on your extrnal drive as normal. It runs much much faster than from a DVD.
You're going the wrong way (He DOESN'T want to install on the external). He wants to load up the DMG on the external so he can install Leopard on the internal. I must ask, is your external bootable, and formatted in APM? (It has to be Firewire on the old macs I believe).

Forum Links
Forum Rules