Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod to car stereo w/o FM transmitter

iPod to car stereo w/o FM transmitter
MacsGalor
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 01:25 AM

I have a iTrip and it works but I would like better sound than what it gives. If I would buy the Apple kit that converts to RCA's can I plug it into my cars deck? I would think that the deck wold require RCA inputs for that to work, or am I mistaken? FYI my deck is a Pioneer DEH-P6400. The only RCA's that I have open are the front output. It doesn't sound like I can do this, but the website listed this.. "Auxiliary Input (CD-RB10 or CD-RB20 required)" what is it and can I make that work? Thanks for any help..

Also if this is already posted sorry I didn't search for it but I am in a hotel and with my crappy connection it would have taken 4ever

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
I have a iTrip and it works but I would like better sound than what it gives. If I would buy the Apple kit that converts to RCA's can I plug it into my cars deck? I would think that the deck wold require RCA inputs for that to work, or am I mistaken? FYI my deck is a Pioneer DEH-P6400. The only RCA's that I have open are the front output. It doesn't sound like I can do this, but the website listed this.. "Auxiliary Input (CD-RB10 or CD-RB20 required)" what is it and can I make that work? Thanks for any help..
You have a front "output"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd need a front "input" for an auxiliary device. I'm pretty sure you'd need a line-in on your unit somewhere. There are sometimes free line-in ports on the back of CD decks. Whether yours has one or not, I'm not sure.

I have a Pioneer DEH-5600 I think, and I'm trying to investigate my options for iPod connectivity that don't involve radio transmit.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

supernature
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 11:34 PM

Auxiliary inputs are on the rampage for iPod users. Basically, go to any car audio specialty place and they should have some limited selection of cables. If not, they can order one for you. Basically most or if not all of the major car audio brands have (either by them or by third party) an aux adapter. Basically, instead of hooking up a CD changer to your deck, you hook up the aux cable to your deck (if you didn't realize it already, you lose CD changer capability obviously).

I have an Alpine with one of those aux adapters plugged into what would normally be the input of an Alpine CD changer. And of course the opposite ends of the adapter are two female RCA inputs for your lovely iPod.

Of course, if you want the ultimate control for a dock iPod, wait and get the new Alpine iPod receiver coming out later this year. Of course that means you'll have to switch to an Alpine radio.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 10:57 AM

Look at your power amp. it may have spare inputs. I bypassed my car CD/Reciever entirely and plugged my iPod directly into the 2 spare channels on my amp with a 6 dollar cord from radioshack. The only prob. is no EQ but that hasn't really bothered me much.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 01:20 PM

If you don't have an Aux. Input on the front of your car stereo you can use a cassette adapter which will give you better sound than an iTrip, or if you don't have a cassette or just don't want to deal with all the extra wires you can install an Aux. Input Converter. This is a device that plugs into the back of your car stereo where a CD changer would go, and provides standard RCA input jacks. You can then get a cable that plugs into your iPod headphone jacks and ends in two RCA output jacks and hook the whole thing up. The Blitzsafe product is the one I see recommended most often and is the one I got. Installation was really easy and the sound is fantastic.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules