Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > If MacNN Decided the Next U.S. President Today

View Poll Results: cast yo vote, sucka.
Poll Options:
Bush 48 votes (33.10%)
Kerry 76 votes (52.41%)
Kucinich 4 votes (2.76%)
LaRouche 5 votes (3.45%)
Nader 12 votes (8.28%)
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll
If MacNN Decided the Next U.S. President Today (Page 2)
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
I agree with the sentiment 100%.

The only problem is that that kind of thinking will probably result in another Bush win via the Nader effect (even if it's not Nader this time). I think it's better to push a specific alternative to Bush than to say "anyone but Bush." The anti-Bush squad needs to be united to score a win.
LOL.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 12:59 AM

I agree with the sentiment 100%.

The only problem is that that kind of thinking will probably result in another Bush win via the Nader effect (even if it's not Nader this time). I think it's better to push a specific alternative to Bush than to say "anyone but Bush." The anti-Bush squad needs to be united to score a win.
I've got the small block of cheese ahead of Kerry by a narrow margin (the cheese is slightly more exciting).

Wouldn't it be funny if everyone voted Nader?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
LOL.
How witty and insightful.

You might be the next addition to my ignore list.

MacsGalor
Senior User
May 29, 2004, 01:07 AM

Realistically if MacNN could choose the next Pres. then Steven P. Jobs would have an excellent shot

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 01:07 AM

How witty and insightful.

You might be the next addition to my ignore list.
Promise?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 01:10 AM

Promise?
I didn't say for sure that I would, but since you asked so nicely... It is done.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 01:10 AM

I didn't say that I would, but since you asked so nicely... It is done.
Thank Gawd. One down.

quandarry
May 29, 2004, 01:16 AM

Kerry is sounding great now. I guess Kerry is THE man...
fixed...

your turn.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 01:36 AM

voted nader, like i did in 2000. as far as you, florida, i think it is now glaringly apparent what a vote for Nader in florida will do for the entire country.

bush for lawn ornament!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 01:44 AM

I almost chose Nader. I would like to see someone like Nader in there, but I can't bring myself to vote for him. It's boiled to me feeling like me voting with my conscience won't do anything. So ... almost anyone but Bush.

Bush for lawn ornament indeed! Lying war mongers and the cronies in their administrations have to go.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 01:45 AM

Then why is Kerry sounding more and more like him?
Well that's an interesting take on what's happening. I hear Kerry telling people that the Bush administration's foreign policy is arrogant and reckless. He said that Bush needed to get the UN back into the equation. Bush starts to slip in the polls and begins scrambling to patch the holes in his sinking presidency by announcing that he's going to bring the UN into the equation.

I'd say Bush is sounding more like Kerry.

zachs
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
At the moment a small block of cheese would give Bush a run for his money.

Actually, a small block of cheese might make better decisions.
I dunno. I think we already have a block of cheese making decisions. Certainly seems that way.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 02:20 AM

As much as I love cheese, I won't let you try and convince me to change my vote.

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
May 29, 2004, 02:35 AM

i voted nader, simply because i think kerry wouldn't be a good choice in terms of his (lack of) personality (and politics).

bush isn't even a choice. i'm pretty sure he'll come out second best in november.

yet, to me it's far mor important that the conservatives lose every election in europe. especially in germany, france and england. spain set a good example. i think england is going to follow.

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 05:31 AM

If Kerry wins the election, I'm leaving the country. Bush is the only person that can successfully be our President today.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
If Kerry wins the election, I'm leaving the country. Bush is the only person that can successfully be our President today.
He's doing a shîtty job of it. And I call BS on your little ultimatum there.

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 05:40 AM

He's doing a shîtty job of it. And I call BS on your little ultimatum there.
That's just my opinion. As you know, we're all biased in here.

However, I do know Democrats that would vote Bush over Kerry.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

paully dub
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 06:08 AM

Just what we need, another political thread...

It would be nice if people could talk about their fave's positives as opposed to the other's negatives.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2004, 10:08 AM

I don't...

I do know more than a few die-hard Republicans who are refusing to vote for Bush, but have never voted for a non-Republican candidate and have no intention of it, so they're not voting at all.

Bush sure knows how to bring them in doesn't he...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I don't...

I do know more than a few Republicans who are refusing to vote for Bush, but have never voted Democrat and have no intention of it, so they're not voting at all.

Bush sure knows how to bring them in doesn't he...
... Kerry's message is what now? ... I forgot what Ted / Hillary / Bill told him to say...

Kerry has an identity crisis which Al Gore seems to have found for the moment... but will lose very soon. Who is John Effing Kerry? Someone explain it to me. What does he stand for?

All his life in the Senate he cut, cut, cut military spending...

"Kerry has voted for at least seven major reductions in Defense and Military spending, necessary for our national security:

1) In 1996 - Introduced Bill to slash Defense Department Funding by $6.5 Billion.

2) In 1995 - Voted to freeze Defense spending for 7 years, slashing over $34 billion from Defense.
_

3) Fiscal 1996 Budget Resolution - Defense Freeze. "Harkin, D-Iowa, amendment to freeze defense spending for the next seven years and transfer the $34.8 billion in savings to education and job training."

4) In 1993 - Introduced plan to cut numerous Defense programs, including:

Cut the number of Navy submarines and their crews

Reduce the number of light infantry units in the Army down to one

Reduce tactical fighter wings in the Air Force

Terminate the Navy's coastal mine-hunting ship program

Force the retirement of no less than 60,000 members of the Armed Forces in one year.

_

5) Has voted repeatedly to cut Defense spending, including:

In 1993, voted against increased Defense spending for Military Pay Raise. Kerry voted to kill an increase in military pay over five years.
_

In 1992, voted to cut $6 billion from Defense.
_

In 1991, voted to slash over $3 Billion from Defense. Shift money to social programs.
_

In 1991, voted to cut defense spending by 2%
_

Voted repeatedly to cut or eliminate funding for B-2 Stealth Bomber
_

Voted repeatedly against Missile Defense - Weapons Kerry sought to phase out were VITAL in Iraq. "[K]erry supported cancellation of a host of weapons systems that have become the basis of US military might-the high-tech munitions and delivery systems on display to the world as they leveled the Iraqi regime of Saddam Hussein in a matter of weeks." (Brian C. Mooney, "Taking One Prize, Then A Bigger One," The Boston Globe, 6/19/03)

_

Military hardware he felt we no longer need since the "cold war" is past. The money would be better spent on "social" programs. These weapons are now the core of our military might.
_

F-16 Fighting Falcons.

B-1Bs B-2As F-15 And F-16s

M1 Abrams

Patriot Missile

AH-64 Apache Helicopter

Tomahawk Cruise Missile

Aegis Air-Defense Cruiser

6) During 1980s Kerry And Michael Dukakis joined forces with liberal group dedicated to slashing Defense. Kerry sat on the board of "Jobs With Peace Campaign," which sought to "develop public support for cutting the defense budget..."("Pentagon Demonstrators Call For Home-Building, Not Bombs," The Associated Press, 6/3/88)

7) While running for Congress in 1972, Kerry promised to cut Defense Spending. "On what he'll do if he's elected to Congress," Kerry said he would 'bring a different kind of message to the president." He said he would, "Vote against military appropriations." ("Candidate's For Congress Capture Campus In Andover," Lawrence [MA] Eagle-Tribune, 4/21/72)

"So you can look at all the potential threats of the world, and when you add the expenditures of all of our allies to the United States of America, you have to stop and say to yourself, 'What is it that we are really preparing for in a post-cold-war world?'"
(Sen. John Kerry, Congressional Record, 5/15/96, p. S5061)"

Safe to say he has never supported our troops. Ever. Only his own political desires.
What G.I. took his own camera to Nam just to photograph himself.

Don't bring up his purple hearts... one of which was proven self-inflicted by "accident"...

11 of the 19 men who were on his boat in Vietnam want him to stop saying they support him. Why is that?

zachs
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 10:22 AM

... Kerry's message is what now? ... I forgot what Ted / Hillary / Bill told him to say...

Kerry has an identity crisis which Al Gore seems to have found for the moment... but will lose very soon. Who is John Effing Kerry? Someone explain it to me. What does he stand for?

All his life in the Senate he cut, cut, cut military spending...
Read this:

Looking at the weapons that the RNC says Kerry voted to cut, a good case could be made, certainly at the time, that some of them (the B-2 bomber and President Reagan's "Star Wars" missile-defense program) should have been cut. As for the others (the M-1 tank and the F-14, F-15, and F-16 fighter planes, among others), Kerry didn't really vote to cut them.

The claim about these votes was made in the Republican National Committee "Research Briefing" of Feb. 22. The report lists 13 weapons systems that Kerry voted to cut�the ones cited above, as well as Patriot air-defense missiles, Tomahawk cruise missiles, and AH64 Apache helicopters, among others.

It is instructive, however, to look at the footnotes. Almost all of them cite Kerry's vote on Senate bill S. 3189 (CQ Vote No. 273) on Oct. 15, 1990. Do a Google search, and you will learn that S. 3189 was the Fiscal Year 1991 Defense Appropriations Act, and CQ Vote No. 273 was a vote on the entire bill. There was no vote on those weapons systems specifically.

On a couple of the weapons, the RNC report cites H.R. 5803 and H.R. 2126. Look those up. They turn out to be votes on the House-Senate conference committee reports for the defense appropriations bills in October 1990 (the same year as S. 3189) and September 1995.

In other words, Kerry was one of 16 senators (including five Republicans) to vote against a defense appropriations bill 14 years ago. He was also one of an unspecified number of senators to vote against a conference report on a defense bill nine years ago. The RNC takes these facts and extrapolates from them that he voted against a dozen weapons systems that were in those bills. The Republicans could have claimed, with equal logic, that Kerry voted to abolish the entire U.S. armed forces, but that might have raised suspicions. Claiming that he opposed a list of specific weapons systems has an air of plausibility. On close examination, though, it reeks of rank dishonesty.
Maybe you could provide a link to your source?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2004, 10:23 AM

So, you're saying that he wanted to cut the defense budget of the country after the fall of the Soviet Union? And...? That is kinda how it works, you know.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2004, 10:24 AM

I doubt he has links. He is a true believer in the Bush campaign TV ads.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 10:26 AM

Where is my token "Mickey Mouse"?

Considering we really don't have a great option, it's rather pointless.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I doubt he has links. He is a true believer in the Bush campaign TV ads.
Why should I provide links? Go and find it yourself... you'll only attack my sources.

His record is on the net.

Type: "Kerry's voting record in the senate" on Google...

Edit:

Here are a few links for you:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...maries/2369868
(Now Dean is *for* Kerry?) Funny.

http://www.csgv.org/issues/elections/kerry_voting.cfm
Here is a voting record link.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...le.asp?ID=5468
War record...

http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.o...s&code=04-F_02
Another voting lnk.

Enjoy.
( Last edited by ghost_flash; May 29, 2004 at 10:36 AM. )

zachs
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 10:34 AM

Why should I provide links? Go and find it yourself... you'll only attack my sources.

His record is on the net.

Type: "Kerry's voting record in the senate" on Google...
Why? Because without links, your "information" has zero credibility. I'm not going to do your fact-checking for you.

BTW, if you think I'm going to attack your sources, they must not be very good sources.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 10:37 AM

Look UP ^

It is a matter of public record. http://www.congressmerge.com/
( Last edited by ghost_flash; May 29, 2004 at 10:43 AM. )

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 10:43 AM

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 10:44 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a special place to post all this (Bush vs. Kerry) crap...

Oh yah, we already do!!!

zachs
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 10:46 AM

Look UP ^

It is a matter of public record.
Here are some links for you:

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=177
http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=153
http://politicalmonitor.us/kerryvotes.html

Take a look.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 10:57 AM

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 11:15 AM

The thing is, none of this will change my vote, and it won't change yours. I don't like John Kerry. I think he is a scumbag, which you cannot show in a link or a voting record. Just look at how he carries himself, how he treats those "beneath" him, and his "War" record.

He is at the very least, less worthy than Bush to hold any office.

Just my .02

zachs
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 11:21 AM

The thing is, none of this will change my vote, and it won't change yours. I don't like John Kerry. I think he is a scumbag, which you cannot show in a link or a voting record. Just look at how he carries himself, how he treats those "beneath" him, and his "War" record.

He is at the very least, less worthy than Bush to hold any office.

Just my .02
I wouldn't really be bringing up war records when comparing Bush and Kerry. Just my suggestion.

Anyway, we'll just leave it at that. You can support pResident Bush; I'll support Kerry.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 11:24 AM

jeez. All it takes is one of these political threads in the regular lounge and ghost_flash is every other poster in the thread. I say we move it to the political lounge.

Oh yeah:
Kerry
Bush:

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
I wouldn't really be bringing up war records when comparing Bush and Kerry. Just my suggestion.

Anyway, we'll just leave it at that. You can support pResident Bush; I'll support Kerry.
This is a double reply so that I don't take up too many posts. I didn't know there was a quota. I'm only responding to posts that quote me. Is that ok?

I'd rather have a president that didn't go to war (Clinton / Bush) than one who went and proved he was a war criminal and committed admitted atrocities.

Anyway, I'll just support the better man President George W. Bush, and you can support sKerry.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 11:27 AM

So do I. But they aren't your "liberal" form of Democrats. Ones that would vote Hitler in over Bush if he was running in the Dem party.

zachs
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 11:32 AM

This is a double reply so that I don't take up too many posts. I didn't know there was a quota. I'm only responding to posts that quote me. Is that ok?

I'd rather have a president that didn't go to war (Clinton / Bush) than one who went and proved he was a war criminal and committed admitted atrocities.

Anyway, I'll just support the better man President George W. Bush, and you can support sKerry.
Psssssst: Preznit Bush commited atrocities. (See "Abu Gharib", "Guantanamo").

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Psssssst: Preznit Bush commited atrocities. (See "Abu Gharib", "Guantanamo").
Psssst. No *he* didn't. 7-11 people did. They are being punished. What about Kerry? He admitted to committing them. Hmmm?

zachs
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 11:55 AM

Psssst. No *he* didn't. 7-11 people did. They are being punished. What about Kerry? He admitted to committing them. Hmmm?
Then what do you have to say about Bush's signing of an order which "opened the door" for the torture?

In yet another startling revelation, a leading news magazine has said US President George W Bush, along with Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Attorney General John Ashcroft, had signed off a memo on a secret system of detention and interrogation that opened the door for abuses of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 11:56 AM

7-11 people did.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 11:59 AM

Damn, child. You drank the �uckin kool-aid and went back for seconds.

At this point there is no reasonable doubt that the tortures were a calculated move that went up the chain of command just like everything else that happens in the military. When you're in charge everything is your fault.

Take a moment to think about what would be happening right now if those tortures had taken place under Clinton. Oh right, you're too drugged up to think...

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 12:02 PM

First, before I answer any questions:

Why was my A&E non-political thread moved to the political lounge, yet this stupid thread is in the lounge?

---

To answer your question:

Kerry killed innocent women and children first hand... He ADMITTED TO IT.
By your own rules, he should be in a prison, and not running for president...

Now move this POS thread, or lock it. It's just bait.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Damn, child. You drank the �uckin kool-aid and went back for seconds.
This thread is now about drinking cool-aid.

BTW, that was a clever way of interjecting that cussword in there.

You must be proud.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 12:13 PM

First, before I answer any questions:

Why was my A&E non-political thread moved to the political lounge, yet this stupid thread is in the lounge?

Now move this POS thread, or lock it. It's just bait.
Hey, why don't you cry about it.

Looks like you were the one who started the baiting, ya whiney turd, so why don't you piss off from the thread instead.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 12:15 PM

My vote is for Bush. Socialism would be the wrong road for America.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
My vote is for Bush. Socialism would be the wrong road for America.
Corporate socialism, on the other hand, is a terrific idea.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Hey, why don't you cry about it.

Looks like you were the one who started the baiting, ya whiney turd, so why don't you piss off from the thread instead.
Such hate. <reported>.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 12:29 PM

Yeah, don't ya feel victimized?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 12:31 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules