Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cat

Cat
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 07:58 AM

I am moving in 2 weeks and have to part with my Cat. If anyone is interested drop me a private message or post here. I live in Turnersville NJ so of course you would need to live in the area. He is an excellant cat, super affectionate. My girlfriend is deathly allergic and when we move in our house on June 1st he can't come along....

Thanks

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 08:03 AM

Shouldn't this go in the "Marketplace"?

Ω
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 08:10 AM

Hope you find a good home, and you get visiting rights.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 10:19 AM

Dump the girl. A good pet is simply too hard to find.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Dump the girl. A good pet is simply too hard to find.

Maybe he found a lady, not a ho...

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777

Maybe he found a lady, not a ho...

-t
I was making a joke. Please explain your comment.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 10:42 AM

^^^ I suspected a joke, with a serious note between the lines.
My comment means: it all depends on what sort gf he has...

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 10:54 AM

On a more serious note. If I had to choose between my cat (Tigger, 9 y/o, super loveable tabby) and a gf, I'd probably choose the cat. I love the cat and despise ultimatums.
- Thomas Paine

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 11:03 AM

From one puss...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 11:13 AM

I love the cat and despise ultimatums.
Well, I understand.

But in his gf's case (deathly allergic reactions), I would hardly call it an ultimatum.
And if you would choose a cat over a gf, well, that's just telling how comparitively unimportant that gf is for you.

But in your case, losing one gf out of ? maybe isn't as much of a deal as if it's the ONLY one...

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 11:46 AM

Cat-apult?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 12:50 PM

Tell your girlfriend to take Zyrtec and get over it. Tell it's both of you or neither of you.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:45 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you have to part with the cat. They do become part of the family. Hope that you will find a good home for your cat. Congratulations on the girlfriend and new house.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:41 PM

my wife says she is allergic to cats too but she can get used to them??? we have been together for 4 years and she hasnt died yet. tell your gf to walk it off or something

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Footy
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 03:15 PM

She's "faking" it!!!

Ω
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 04:06 PM

I too am allergic to cats, and I have to say that after awhile you do tend to build up a tolerance after a couple of weeks.

If you also make sure the cat is kept out of the bedroom ( ) your gf will have a safe haven.

It will also depend on your cat. Short-hair?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ω
I too am allergic to cats, and I have to say that after awhile you do tend to build up a tolerance after a couple of weeks.

If you also make sure the cat is kept out of the bedroom ( ) your gf will have a safe haven.

It will also depend on your cat. Short-hair?
yes....short hair - see my sig

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
yes....short hair - see my sig
Oh, that's NOT your wife ?

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 04:44 PM

Well, I understand.

But in his gf's case (deathly allergic reactions), I would hardly call it an ultimatum.
And if you would choose a cat over a gf, well, that's just telling how comparitively unimportant that gf is for you.

But in your case, losing one gf out of ? maybe isn't as much of a deal as if it's the ONLY one...

-t
True, I've had GFs that I wouldn't trade my cat for, what of it?

As for your cheap shot regarding my living arrangments. Your problem with my wives is just that, your problem, not mine.

Hmmm, I thought you were "liberal"?
- Thomas Paine

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 05:16 PM

Oh, that's NOT your wife ?

-t

so funny i forgot to laugh

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 05:26 PM

As for your cheap shot regarding my living arrangments. Your problem with my wives is just that, your problem, not mine.
Wasn't trying to make a judgement with my post, although I have a different opinion than you.

Hmmm, I thought you were "liberal"?
Well, probably only as much as you are a conservative...

-t

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 05:41 PM

The fact is she has asthma as well has being allergic to everything. It does stink to part with the cat but what am I to do? Give up on a loving relationship for my pet? She used to come over when we first started dating (to my place) but it got too much for her to handle. He has long hair......he leaves traces of black hair all over....

Of course if we didn't work out I would really be pissed.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 08:28 PM

Dude, if you give up your pet because of a girl, you're totally whipped beyond any capacity for reintegration with manliness. The pet was first, plain and simple, so it's got dibs on you.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 10:39 PM

Reminds me of this little story:

A note from the author:

If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly owned pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal shelters.

Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious.

How Could You?

Copyright Jim Willis 2001, all rights reserved

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.
************************************************** ****************************************
For more of Jim Willis' writings visit his website: http://jimwillis0.tripod.com/tiergarten/id21.html

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 17, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Dude, if you give up your pet because of a girl, you're totally whipped beyond any capacity for reintegration with manliness. The pet was first, plain and simple, so it's got dibs on you.
Of course, a bad asthmatic can die from having a cat around...

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 01:25 AM

Why don't you put your cat up here:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/pet/

It's free and easy and you'll find a good home.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 12:28 AM

I would shave the cat, if it doesn't work out the hair will grow back.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
I would shave the cat, if it doesn't work out the hair will grow back.
Might find the cat is not quite as affectionate after that!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 01:27 AM

beats a homeless shelter.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Of course, a bad asthmatic can die from having a cat around...
Not if the asthmatic takes medication.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Not if the asthmatic takes medication.
My father-in-law has always had asthma, and couldn't visit my house when my wife and I got married, due to my cat. Now he takes Nasacort (nasal spray), and a cortisone-based inhaler, and the result is he can visit anytime he wants.

Last month he was at our house for two and a half weeks, and NEVER had one problem, even when our cat was running around the same room he was in. Now, would he have had problems if the cat slept on the same bed as him? Maybe, but obviously we weren't going to allow that. But that proved to me that an asthmatic and a cat can co-habitate.

The original poster should look into such treatments. It could save heartbreak for both you and your pet, who has no idea how much his life is about to change (and likely for the worse).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 11:48 AM

Not only what XI said, but if she's allergic to cats, then she's allergic to other things, too -- and medication will cover all bases.

Personally, I think she's just a nutjob and he ought to drop her like a hot brick.

Maury

Forum Links
Forum Rules