Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Addictions: Got One?

Addictions: Got One?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 09:29 AM

Everyone has an addiction it seems. My spouse hired a young man who was absolutely perfect in the way of his credentials and experience to run the office and location of one our stores and office.

However, one month after he was with us he had to go in for standard drug testing. He failed. He swore it was a mistake. We believed him. He was so adamant that it was a mistake, he has a baby on the way and wouldn't risk his family's future, etc., that we believed him.

One month later he went in to take another drug test.

Again, positive, only this time they noted on the test, "Diluted sample, possible flushing," meaning that he was drinking a lot of fluids within 6 hours of testing, perhaps in the hope that the test would not be positive.

We were really bummed out because we really liked him. But, we had to let him go for legal liability reasons. After he got his final paycheck he came clean and said, "Yeah, I've got an addiction to smoking pot. I can't help it anymore."

So, I'm wondering, is it possible to have an addiction to smoking pot? I didn't think it was addictive?

Is it even possible to have an addiction to something that is not supposedly, addicting?

I don't know. My spouse says I'm addicted to working. Maybe that's true. I love to work. I still have a part-time day job, but the demands of that job can be met at home and I have an office here. However, I also do some freelance technical writing and I take every single job that is passed my way. So, maybe I am addicted to working. I worked all day on my birthday, a Sunday, a couple of weeks ago, which upset my spouse, so maybe it's true.

Are any of you addicted to smoking pot - at the risk of losing your job? What about the cost of it? Or are there other "addictions?"

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 09:41 AM

Diet Coke.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 09:46 AM

World of Warcraft =/

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 09:51 AM

Happy belated birthday!

Oh, and pot is addictive, but it's not a physical addiction like heroine or some hardcore drug like that. I'm not addicted to pot, but some of my friends think I'm addicted to tummies . I don't think I am, but if so, a healthy addiction if there ever was one

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 09:56 AM

I am addicted to Beirut. I even play with water sometimes when I don't feel like drinking. Oh, and this girl...
AXP
ΔΣΦ

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
My spouse says I'm addicted to working. Maybe that's true. I love to work.
I'm with you Cody.

I work a full-time job from Monday to Fridays. I also run my own business which I do 7 days a week. After work on weekdays, and the whole day on Saturday and Sundays. Every single day of the year. I operate on public holidays. I work through birthdays and the like. And I LOVE it. I can't imagine not working. One of my colleagues recently pointed out to me that I had 7 days of annual leave left, and she told me to go for a short break. Maybe take a vacation. But the thing is I would rather work than go on vacation.

Perhaps I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an addiction, but I would say it's pretty darn close.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
I'm with you Cody.

I work a full-time job from Monday to Fridays. I also run my own business which I do 7 days a week. After work on weekdays, and the whole day on Saturday and Sundays. Every single day of the year. I operate on public holidays. I work through birthdays and the like. And I LOVE it. I can't imagine not working. One of my colleagues recently pointed out to me that I had 7 days of annual leave left, and she told me to go for a short break. Maybe take a vacation. But the thing is I would rather work than go on vacation.

Perhaps I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an addiction, but I would say it's pretty darn close.
It must be great having a job you love.

Personally, my addiction is hating my job. I keep talking about going into 'rehab' but I never follow through.

Recreational Poster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 10:10 AM

peanut M&Ms

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 10:16 AM

So, I'm wondering, is it possible to have an addiction to smoking pot? I didn't think it was addictive?

Is it even possible to have an addiction to something that is not supposedly, addicting?
Are you serious ? You should come out to the real world more often.
OF COURSE it is addictive.

Btw, there are PHYSICALLY addicting substances, and there are things that make you MENTALLY addicted. You can get mentally addicted to ANYTHING.

-t

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 10:22 AM

Coffee.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:26 AM

Are any of you addicted to smoking pot?
I am defenitely addicted to cigarettes ( ) and I used to smoke a joint/day for years but stopped it without a serious problem some moths ago - I'd say it really doesn't make you addicted unless you're unable to change your daily routine...

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 10:37 AM

Instant noodles.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:47 AM

12 posts here and no one said it, so I will......

MacNN!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 10:55 AM

Sex, tattoos, and there is a whole bunch in remission if you know what i mean...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:59 AM

Coffee. Never thought I'd get withdrawal, but if I stop drinking for a couple days, I get the worst headaches imaginable.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 11:02 AM

Round objects.
I, ASIMO.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 11:05 AM

I'm not addicted to Pot or any other illegal drugs. Also don't smoke. Like others I'm addicted to coffee, more of a habit than anything else.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 11:10 AM

WDLove:

I'm addicted to your posts.

Seriously, there are some great answers here.

I'm not addicted to coffee, per se. I love it, but I don't have to have it and I don't drink it every morning.

Here's a weird one: I'm addicted to my children.

Seriously!

If I'm away and I don't see them for a few hours or a day then I get bummed out.

When I come back and give them a hug or pick up my baby I get a huge rush and I feel boundless joy. I can't get enough of that feeling.

Oh, and I'm addicted to shopping on eBay for books and antique things and I sell things on eBay for a group that I belong to. We use the money for some great non-profit local organizations like FaithFarm.org and SafeHarborAnimalRescue.com

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 11:11 AM

Why on earth would anybody fire anybody for smoking pot?
I never understood that, especially if it's a perfect employee. You'd start this nonsense in the UK, half the population would be out of work.

Personally I am hooked on life

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 11:14 AM

I'm not addicted to coffee, per se. I love it, but I don't have to have it and I don't drink it every morning.
Then avoid my path, I think the 4–8 shots of espresso each day has done me in!

Kids are great, a healthy-enough addiction to have

Except, that is, if you're Jacko

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Why on earth would anybody fire anybody for smoking pot?
I never understood that, especially if it's a perfect employee. You'd start this nonsense in the UK, half the population would be out of work.

Personally I am hooked on life
Because it's difficult to determine, via testing, whether or not this person is smoking pot on the job. Drinking on the job is much easier to confirm, with immediate blood testing.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 11:15 AM

Kids are great, a healthy-enough addiction to have

Except, that is, if you're Jacko

Verrrrry Funny!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 11:17 AM

Well, the people working at our locations are working with car motors.

If a person is WUI (working under influence - and yes, I coined that phrase) then they might lose a hand. We're kind...of...like...Pep Boys.

hotani
Senior User
Jun 17, 2005, 11:21 AM

1) F*%king discussion boards!!! And here i am again!! I can't stop it!!

2) I'm addicted to nailbiting - er, not really fingernails but all the little snagglies around the fingernail - drives me crazy. I've been doing that for as long as I remember, picked it up from my dad (Thanks!) and hoping my son doesn't start with it.

3) Coffee, but once or twice a week i'll skip it and its not a big deal so its not THAT bad. I'm more addicted to the taste and flavor than the caffeine which actually makes me a bit sick if I have too much, but decaf just doesn't taste right!

4) Tequila. But its not what you think! - I'm not even close to being an alcoholic (i'm in denial! I'm wasted RIGHT NOW!! not really...), I'll spend hours online researching brands and reviews... Its more of an obsession than anything. My actual consumption is about 2 shots in the course of a WEEK! Its expensive so I don't get to drink it much - much like fine scotch or wine...

Personally I think intoxication is an annoying side-effect of drinking fine alcoholic beverages.
( Last edited by hotani; Jun 17, 2005 at 11:33 AM. )
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani
Senior User
Jun 17, 2005, 11:24 AM

I have this one as well.... another to add to the list.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 11:28 AM

Cipher13
Jun 17, 2005, 11:42 AM

Can't you just say "husband" or "wife"?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 17, 2005, 11:49 AM

MacNN. Can't. Stay. Away.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ASIMO
Round objects.
Who is Round, and to what does he object?
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Don't know if I should laugh or cry

-t

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 12:23 PM

The inter nets.

Oh, and probably chocolate.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Don't know if I should laugh or cry

-t
Eh finally had an excuse to use it.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 12:48 PM

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 12:57 PM

I have 30 in my fridge. I swear to God, I need something stronger now. The caffeine pill thing had a horrendous outcome, so I gotta find something *safe* and stronger, since I can fall asleep after drinking 2.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 01:02 PM

You can be totally addicted to pot. I was for a long time. I would spend about $500 a month on my habit.

It's not so much that it's physically addictive, you just enjoy it so much that you want to constantly do it. I could have gone a week without pot and been fine, no withdrawal or anything like that, but I didn't want to. Why do it when you can get high and play Nintendo every night?

I know plenty of people whose lives have been pretty much ruined by excessive pot smoking. It kills all desire to get ahead in life and makes you complacent. I gave it up cold turkey and have been completely pot free for about 5 years now. I had to stop hanging out with all of my old friends because all they want to do is sit around and smoke pot. It's too tempting.

I don't have a problem with people smoking pot heavily or casually. I think that it's very possible to live a normal life and smoke at the same time. It just depends on the person. I just had to give it up. It was doing me no good.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 01:04 PM

Picking. I pick at everything. I pick at my face. I pick at my fingernails. I pick at my toenails. I pick at my...

...well, you get the point .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 01:06 PM

Yes
http://www.rcmp-fairmont.org/da/druginfo/Cannabis.htm

Anyone that says pot isn't addictive, either is lying, or don't know what they are talking about.

It's just not on the same level of addiction as stronger drugs.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by tavilach
Picking. I pick at everything. I pick at my face. I pick at my fingernails. I pick at my toenails. I pick at my...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 01:13 PM

Eh finally had an excuse to use it.
How long have you been waiting for this ?

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 01:14 PM

Anyone that says pot isn't addictive, either is lying, or don't know what they are talking about.

Not more so than alcohol or caffeine. I am not a user myself, but I do believe that it should be decriminalized. Responsible use hardly ever causes any problems.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 01:19 PM

Pepsi and oreocookies.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 01:21 PM

tavilach:

I'm a "picker" also.

There's a name for it: OCD.

Seriously, I had it really bad for a while. Everything I do I do it...strongly. When I diet I become anorexic. When I work I work 12 hours+ a day. When I was in college I had to get a 4.0 and was extremely upset when I got a B in one class and my GPA went to 3.96. When I clean my house it's spotless, etc.

Sound familiar? Think about it then get to the thread.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 01:29 PM

tavilach:

I'm a "picker" also.

There's a name for it: OCD.

Seriously, I had it really bad for a while. Everything I do I do it...strongly. When I diet I become anorexic. When I work I work 12 hours+ a day. When I was in college I had to get a 4.0 and was extremely upset when I got a B in one class and my GPA went to 3.96. When I clean my house it's spotless, etc.

Sound familiar? Think about it then get to the thread.

I know a lot about OCD, and no, that doesn't sound familiar. I just like to pick. It's a stress relief habit. Sure, it is one symptom of OCD, but everyone exhibits some form of obsessive-compulsive behavior, at some time or another .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 01:37 PM

Well, then, I'm wrong. I don't pick as much as you do though, either, it doesn't sound like.

How do you feel if you don't pick, though?

At least you pick. I mean, you could be doing other, more destructive, things.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jellytussle
Who is Round, and to what does he object?

To the foibles of the Queen's Engrish.

Or to the sad state of our poorly-funded education.
I, ASIMO.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 01:43 PM

Here's mine:

I'm in withdrawal!
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

skelotar
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 01:49 PM

No addictions, but I can lose myself for hours doing things.

I'm ridiculuously persistent @ times...
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 01:51 PM

eBay and Rickey Henderson baseball cards.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 02:07 PM

"Hehehehehehe! I'm addicted to boobies!"

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 02:07 PM

Well, then, I'm wrong. I don't pick as much as you do though, either, it doesn't sound like.

How do you feel if you don't pick, though?

At least you pick. I mean, you could be doing other, more destructive, things.
If I don't pick, I feel as though the world is crumbling to pieces . Trust me, I know all about OCD. My picking just makes me feel good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules