Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Agassi last Event

Agassi last Event
Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 09:54 AM

Has anyone been watching the U.S. Open the past two nights? As a former player myself (high school, college) this last professional event of his career has been thrilling watch.

Last night, Agassi dropped the first two sets of his match, then rallyed back to a 5th set tiebreaker for the match. The crowd in New York has been nothing short of amazing (I don't think the crowds matter all that much in Tennis, but it still must suck to be his opponent in this event).

I remember when Agassi was the brash long-haired punk elbowing his way to the top. Its nice to see someone to have matured so much and to have been embraced so well by world.

I just wanted to pay respects to his career. He certainly has left his mark.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 09:56 AM

who is Agassi? never heard of the man...

just kidding in my opionion he is one of the greatest of all the time, and he won the French something Sampras never could do. If Federer can win the french he may the best ever when it's all said and done.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I just wanted to pay respects to his career. He certainly has left his mark.
At least on Steffi Graf

-t

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 10:09 AM

And Brooke Shields.

Though I look forward to the Überbaby kicking ass on the pro tour in a little over a decade.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 10:11 AM

Though I look forward to the Überbaby kicking ass on the pro tour in a little over a decade.
Yeah, baby.

-t

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn
just kidding in my opionion he is one of the greatest of all the time,
Not sure I'd go that far, but he's probably one of the greatest competitors the tour has ever seen. His longevity is impressive.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2006, 11:48 AM

Is he still in the tournament?
ice

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 11:54 AM

his drop out of the top 100 and rise back shows the effort this guys put into tennis. i hate serve and smack players, and agassi is always the 'david' to their 'goliath' and i cant help but want to see him win...he's my favorite of all time and i have no problems agreeing with macfantn in saying that he's one of the greatest of all time.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 07:18 PM

Has anyone been watching the U.S. Open the past two nights? As a former player myself (high school, college) this last professional event of his career has been thrilling watch.

Last night, Agassi dropped the first two sets of his match, then rallyed back to a 5th set tiebreaker for the match. The crowd in New York has been nothing short of amazing (I don't think the crowds matter all that much in Tennis, but it still must suck to be his opponent in this event).
That was his quarterfinal match from last year against James Blake (now #5 in the world and the top American). They were only showing it because rain stopped play yesterday. Agassi plays his second-round match tomorrow night against Marcos Baghdatis. Odds are that will be his final pro match.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
That was his quarterfinal match from last year against James Blake (now #5 in the world and the top American). They were only showing it because rain stopped play yesterday. Agassi plays his second-round match tomorrow night against Marcos Baghdatis. Odds are that will be his final pro match.
Ahahaha. Oh god. I didn't see anything on the screen to say it was old.

I did think it was odd he played back to back nights, though.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 06:48 AM

That confused me, I know he won his 1st round match against Andrei Pavel in 4 sets last Monday. Agassi is not quite the same player he was in last year's 5-setter against Blake. He's only played a few matches this year and his back has been bothering him for most of the season.

Marcos Baghdatis is a very entertaining and talented player himself, and in good form at the moment. So chances are tonight will be Andre's last career match. It's the end of an era . I did enjoy watching his game and seeing him grow up in the last 20 years.

andi*pandi
Aug 31, 2006, 11:17 AM

I remember when he was the young upstart, but then I also remember Jimmy Connors playing his last heroic matches, struggling for every set against the young whippersnappers.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
I remember when he was the young upstart, but then I also remember Jimmy Connors playing his last heroic matches, struggling for every set against the young whippersnappers.
I do, too. Agassi and Connors have that workman-like, never-quit, emotionally expressive approach that makes their games memorable and them quite accessible.

Agassi has made over 250 million dollars as much off of his affability and competitiveness as anything else. Tennis won't be the same without him.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 08:50 PM

Not sure I'd go that far, but he's probably one of the greatest competitors the tour has ever seen. His longevity is impressive.
He has some achievements that put him on a very short list. You can argue back and forth about which achievements are better than other achievements, but he certainly has an impressive list of accomplishments.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 01:34 AM

Wow.. did anyone else watch the match against Baghdatis? Incredible match, with Andre winning in the fifth. Tennis can be boring to watch sometimes, but when it's exciting... I don't think there's any sport that can match it in entertainment.

If Andre wins his next match he could meet Andy Roddick. That'd be another classic.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2006, 03:51 AM

This morning I woke up once again expecting to hear about Andre's dramatic retirement but he's still around!! Pretty amazing considering he needed cortisone injections for his back just on Tuesday. I do hope he beats Benjamin Becker in the 3rd round, because despite his name he is pretty lowly ranked. And it would be more fitting to retire in the hands of Roddick.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2006, 10:09 AM

Very exciting games indeed! I really hope that he finishes his career winniing the US Open, let's just hope he gets there...

Best part of Agassi, he is half Iranian
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2006, 11:31 AM

Baghdatis showed a lot of grit in that match. The guy could barely walk.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2006, 06:20 PM

He sure did. Big kudos to him...he looked like a cripple in the fifth set but still kept right up with Agassi...and that's after hurting his wrist right off the start.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 12:14 AM

I was very disappointed to see Marcos lose. I have a lot of respect for Agassi, but Baghdatis is probably the most exciting player to watch not named Federer. He's been involved in a lot of the great matches this year.

As for Agassi, his farewell speech was very classy.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Forum Links
Forum Rules