Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The Cheap and Good LCD Monitor thread, add to it.

The Cheap and Good LCD Monitor thread, add to it.
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2006, 02:07 PM

This is the BenQ FP202W 20" Widescreen LCD, currently $285:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014105

There's other online retailers with it for a similar price as well. I've been eyeing this one think I'll snatch it up soon, hopefully there'll be another drop in price.

What monitor looks good to you and is easy on the wallet?
ice

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 02:50 PM

Most of Sceptre's line is pretty decent (available from newegg).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 02:52 PM

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 02:56 PM

edit: could also try a pricematch to officemax:

OfficeMax - Office Supplies, Furniture, Copy Paper, Computers and Electronics

CompUSA’s Retail Store Low Price Guarantee.
We'll match any local retail competitor's advertised price on every technology product we sell, either at the time of purchase or within the following 21 days. Our low price commitment covers all new, factory sealed products of the same brand and model number that are available, and in stock, at any local retail store. Our commitment does not apply to Internet offers or any one-of-a-kind or other limited-quantity offers, discontinued or close out items, refurbished products, trade-in sales, or special financing.

If you can get compusa to pricematch to officemax, and then use the rebates, you'd get the 20 inch for like $200

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2006, 03:20 PM

heh, weez, you sound like a FWer!
ice

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 09:35 AM

I'm fond of the Dell 2005/2007 20" monitors, but the lowest they ever get is 400 or so

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 10:52 AM

I'm getting of these (silver one). It's also HDCP (over DVI) compliant !

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2006, 05:03 PM

I just ordered the BenQ FP202W from Buy.com for $259 shipped. Did you get yours yet, Ice?

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2006, 05:22 AM

Ugh, no. As cheap as it is, I'm strapped right now : |

By the end of the month is the goal.

Let us know how you like it, and take some pics! : )

EDIT: How so cheap Steve? Do you have a Buy.com Visa card? I'm seeing $274
ice

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 5, 2006, 08:34 AM

I've had great luck with Dell flat panels. I have currently two different 17" models, and they have worked flawlessly with both my home-built PC and two different Macs (a G4 Mini and a G4 800MHz iBook).

Now the good part: you can get Dell monitors in a lot of different places. I got the one I personally use (brand spankin' new) through a discounter for about $120-when they were selling for about twice that direct from Dell. Overstocks are a wonderful thing!

I still don't have a "need" for anything larger than a 17" display, but if someone gave me a larger one, I might barely be able to fit a 19" screen on my desk. It's kind of cramped in a corner.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2006, 09:05 AM

I liked the previous 20" Dells, but I've heard different things about their current 20" widescreen offering. I'm using a 17" Apple CRT now, and I need more space.
ice

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2006, 09:48 AM

Having two of them will be a great deal! and it's cheaper!!!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2006, 10:02 AM

cheaper than what?
ice

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
cheaper than what?
HP L2035 / 20" / 16ms / 500:1 / UXGA 1600 x 1200 / DVI-D · VGA · S-Video / Silver / LCD Monitor
The HP Flat Panel Monitor L2035 is a high-performance 20-inch flat panel monitor designed for high-performance business and workstation users.
$299.97
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 02:17 AM

rosewill r912e (19")

I have two of em, they work great, and are at or under $200 DVI and VGA cable...

I did have a weird problem with them going black once in a while, but it may have been my old mac... I donno, havent noticed it on my PC (dual monitor setup) could just be my crappy old mac though...

Zach

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 06:11 PM

The viewsonic VX2025wm. Just couldn't bring myself to buy a Dell. (call me petty). The VS will be here next week.

VX2025wm on Viewsonic.com

There is also a new 22" that goes for $349 at costco, but specs are not as robust.

T

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 10, 2006, 07:02 PM

Clarification: My two Dell monitors are an E173FP and an E171FP. Both are still great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 03:28 AM

I recently owned (or still do until the eBay auction ends) an iMac G5 / 20" and was spoiled by the screen. When I purchased my MacPro I needed a dual screen setup and would not settle for anything below a good 20" widescreen LCD. I've done many hours of research and forum reading and I've been through 3 monitors now. Here are my reports.

LG 204WT. Fairly new LCD. A friend has a 203WT and recommended this one. I picked it up for about $350 a month ago (currently about $310). Specs: 20.1" LCD. 1680 * 1050 resolution, 2000:1 contrast ratio (dynamic, obviously, but native unlisted), 5ms response time, 8 bit TN Panel.
Good: No dead pixels. Great response time (5ms is probably overrated but it was the fastest response I've seen on an LCD). Cheap for a 20" widescreen.
Bad: Does not come with a DVI cable. Has a really janky base that once is clicked on is pretty much permanently on. Most importantly, color replication was bad and the viewing angle was terrible.
Conclusion: Even though people claimed TN panels had evolved, I don't think I'll ever try one again. The color shift looking at the screen while slouched to normal posture was huge (poor vertical viewing angles). Even dead on and with hours of tweaking and calibration the colors were off and it really annoyed me. I ate a 15% restocking fee.

Viewsonic VX2025wm. Picked it up for about $360 3 weeks ago even though I've heard of DVI ports going out on some models and Viewsonic tech support being crap. Specs: 20.1" LCD. 1680 * 1050 resolution, 800:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m^2 brightness, 8ms response time, 8 bit MVA Panel.
Good: No dead pixels. Good viewing angle. Decent response time (I could only see slight afterblur when moving a Finder window against the default OS X backdrop quickly). Neat little cable cutout to keep cables in order.
Bad: Even though the response time is decent, ghosting (the after impression of an image) is visible with RGB(3, 3, 3) to RGB(0, 0, 0). The only time I could tell was with the Flurry screensaver (the afterimpression of the waves was RGB(3, 3, 3) while the background was RGB(0, 0, 0)). You can see an X-shaped backlight when viewing an entirely black image. Monitor base does not protect it much from nearby vibrations (my shaking foot under the desk, for example). Annoyingly blinks every 10 or so seconds with some stupid "Signal Not Found" warning when the comp is asleep. Color replication was close, but after giving it 3 weeks and many hours to grow on me I was still annoyed.
Conclusion: An otherwise decent LCD with some small flaws. I never realized how much I cared about accurate color. I ate a 15% restocking fee.

Dell 2007FPW. My most recent acquisition. It's kind of strange having a Dell logo stare back at me but this one has the same panel Apple uses in their Cinema displays. I read of some issues with color banding, but decided to give it a shot and picked it up for about $370 + shipping (~$400) a week ago. Specs: 20.1" LCD. 1680 * 1050 resolution, 800:1 contrast ratio, 16ms response time, 8 bit S-IPS Panel.
Good: No dead pixels. Accurate color reproduction (shows what I expect)! Great viewing angles (IPS hallmark). Height adjustable and easy to turn (big plus since I slouch for a while then sit normally when I tire of that). Attempt at cable management in the back (but it's not as nice as the Viewsonic cutout or even the simple Apple circle). 4 USB ports are surprisingly handy.
Bad: Response time worst of the 3 (but surprisingly no ghosting like the Viewsonic with Flurry and no blurring when I tested it with UT2004). Color banding when not using the default mode over a DVI link is noticeable. Sometimes it seems like I can notice a slight screendoor effect, but I believe I might just be seeing things.
Conclusion: I'm satisfied with the viewing angle and color reproduction (no adjustments needed). The built-in USB ports I'm finding convenient (although I need to test if it's a USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 hub) and the height and turn adjustment I'm finding essential in an LCD (tilt angle only just does not cut it). Dell's fix at the color banding issue was kind of cheap; they disabled image post-processing for the default mode, which leaves other modes affected (fortunately I think mode changing is too cumbersome and always use the default).

I'm picky about many things (dead pixels, color, and viewing angle, mostly) and need 2 monitors. I've done a lot of reading here and at various review sites. I've looked at just about every 20" I can in stores and purchased those I couldn't (at the expense of paying restocking fees later). My conclusion is that every LCD has flaws; it's just a matter of what matters most to you and what you are willing to live with.

Right now I'm kind of sick of playing the return game (and paying BS restocking fees when I return items in better than factory condition). It is looking highly likely I will be owning 2 Dell monitors in the near future and Apple should consider that a problem. For almost one 20" Cinema Display I can get 2 Dell 20" widescreen displays. Apple really needs to revise their displays with height adjustment and some other things or price them comparitively with what they offer (design aesthetic just does not justify the price). This is the "Cheap and Good LCD" thread, after all.

If I test anything else or any issues crop up I'll post here. Just sharing my experiences and hope they help someone.
To be determined later.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the in-depth reply!
ice

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2006, 10:37 PM

I love where I live, there is a Pc store down the block from me, once every year, the get a huge dumpster and fill it with obsolete stuff, most of it being sony 15"-17" monitors, flat-panel mind you. Hello ebay!
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

mikochu
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 03:44 AM

I have two Sceptres..they are great.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 06:12 AM

I am interested in anyone's take on the NEC 20WMGX2 or the Samsung SyncMaster 215TW, two monitors which might not meet the cheap requirement for this thread but are still cheaper than Apple's offerings.
To be determined later.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 01:06 PM

Nice ViewSonic 19 inch with DVI connector!

I picked this up at OfficeDepot for $225 with a rebate, and it's a great little monitor. Right now, it's hooked up to my G4 Mini, and it just works.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2006, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
Ugh, no. As cheap as it is, I'm strapped right now : |

By the end of the month is the goal.

Let us know how you like it, and take some pics! : )

EDIT: How so cheap Steve? Do you have a Buy.com Visa card? I'm seeing $274
I've been using the BenQ FP202W 20" for about a week now, and I'm loving (most) of it so far. It's hooked up to my desktop PC via DVI. Sorry, no way to take pics at this point!

The Good
- I've never had my own widescreen monitor, and man is it nice to work on a widescreen.
- It's very bright. I had to turn it down some to be tolerable. It is not, however, too bright, as some LCDs tend to be.
- Horizontal viewing angle is great, with almost no discoloration
- $260 is way cheaper than the other 20" Widescreen LCDs I was looking at

The Bad
- No height adjustment or rotation (while the stand doesn't move). It can be tilted up or down easily.
- I notice some color changing with the vertical viewing angle, but this doesn't really matter since I look at the monitor from the same position
- 2 dead pixels, but they are difficult to see (I actually never notice them) and not in an important location (upper left)
- No auxillary inputs/outputs. DVI and VGA only. It would be nice to have a USB port and whatever else, but I guess that's what you pay for with the Dell monitors.

The Ugly
- None at this point

Ice - I used a $15 off promo from Buy.com (84582624) for new customers to the Electronics department.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak
Viewsonic VX2025wm. Picked it up for about $360 3 weeks ago even though I've heard of DVI ports going out on some models and Viewsonic tech support being crap. Specs: 20.1" LCD. 1680 * 1050 resolution, 800:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m^2 brightness, 8ms response time, 8 bit MVA Panel.
Good: No dead pixels. Good viewing angle. Decent response time (I could only see slight afterblur when moving a Finder window against the default OS X backdrop quickly). Neat little cable cutout to keep cables in order.
Bad: Even though the response time is decent, ghosting (the after impression of an image) is visible with RGB(3, 3, 3) to RGB(0, 0, 0). The only time I could tell was with the Flurry screensaver (the afterimpression of the waves was RGB(3, 3, 3) while the background was RGB(0, 0, 0)). You can see an X-shaped backlight when viewing an entirely black image. Monitor base does not protect it much from nearby vibrations (my shaking foot under the desk, for example). Annoyingly blinks every 10 or so seconds with some stupid "Signal Not Found" warning when the comp is asleep. Color replication was close, but after giving it 3 weeks and many hours to grow on me I was still annoyed.
Conclusion: An otherwise decent LCD with some small flaws. I never realized how much I cared about accurate color. I ate a 15% restocking fee.
I have this monitor. My DVI port quit working last weekend and a quick call to ViewSonic tech support fixed the problem.

* Connect both the DVI and VGA cables to the monitor and computer, then shut your computer down.
* Disconnect the VGA connection.
* Disconnect the power to the monitor, wait 5 seconds and reconnect the power.
* Reboot the computer

Maybe there are other problems with the DVI port actually breaking, but mine was fixed very easily. Overall I am very happy with this monitor, except for a bit of backlight bleeding at the corners.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2006, 08:18 PM

Dell just released the E207WFP. 20" Widescreen, stripper model with no USB, no S-Video, TN panel, $289 release price. If you know Dell, you know this monitor will be hovering just above $200 with their typical discounts:

Dell E207WFP 20-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
ice

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
heh, weez, you sound like a FWer!
SD all the way!

I have the 1905fp from dell and with coupons and such it was a great deal. I have been happy with it and have ruled out buying a monitor from apple until they can at least meet the features, if not the price, of the dells.

I am thinking about getting either a 20" or 24" widescreen to go with the 19" I have but I am going to wait until I decide whether I want to use it for TV or not.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules