Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using Toast to transfer AVCHD to Bluray DVD

Using Toast to transfer AVCHD to Bluray DVD
cmillerdesign
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2008, 05:05 PM

I have a Canon HF100 AVCHD camera and a C2D MacBook Pro. Using Toast 9 can you transfer the AVCHD files directly from the SD card to a DVD-R DL for playing back on a PS3 or Bluray player without having to go through AIC transcoding? If so, do the clips play seamlessly or are there stop gaps between each? Secondly, can you take the edited iMovie and burn it in 1080i through Toast (if so, how)?
( Last edited by cmillerdesign; Sep 6, 2008 at 08:46 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2008, 06:43 PM

Yes, you can use Toast to transfer AVCHD files to a (data) DVD. But I don't think the PS3 or other BluRay players will play AVCHD; being able to play some H.264 files doesn't imply they know how to handle the AVCHD structure (or bitrates).

cmillerdesign  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2008, 07:57 PM

From their site: Import your AVCHD high-def camcorder footage then burn in HD to inexpensive standard DVDs for playback on any compatible Blu-ray or HD DVD set top box.

Not saying it works well and why I posted the question, but its what their site says. I searched online and found where people discussed using Toast to burn AVCHD for playing on their PS3s or BR players, but they didn't go into detail -- how to do it, does it work well, etc.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 12:13 AM

Sounds like 3X DVD.

cmillerdesign  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2008, 04:30 PM

Back to the question... with Toast 9 can you transfer the AVCHD files directly from the SD card to a DVD for playing back on a PS3 or Bluray player ?

wlake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 01:47 AM

My goal is: To burn the AVCHD video(in 1080p format) on DVD-R or DVD+R and play them back on a blu-ray player
Following is my configuration:
Toast 9.0.2 + HD/BD plug-in
Lastest MacBook with 2GB RAM
Sony BDP-S350 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player
AVCHD video taken by a Canon HF100 HD camcorder

By reading the menu, it seems that Toast9 + HD/BD plug-in will do what I want to. But I can not get it working. Any insight or advice will be welcomed.

Following are what I have tried:

1. Drag a BDMV folder from a SD card or a hard-disk to Toast 9's video area when the "BDMV Folder" is highlighted. Then, on the right-side-bottom, I select DVD as the media, and hit the RED button to record. Recording finished without any error message, but the DVD disc can not playback on my blu-ray player. I only see a blank screen.

2. Drag the .MTS files inside the BDMV folder from a SD card or a hard-disk to Toast 9's video area when the "Blu-ray Video" is highlighted. Then, on the right-side-bottom, I select DVD as the media, and hit the RED button to record. Recording finished without any error message, but the DVD disc can not playback on my blu-ray player. I only see a blank screen.

3. Convert the .MTS files to .MOV files first, because I want to de-couple the videos from my Canon camcorder's output first (just in case the .MTS files contain somethings that are non-standard). Drag the .MOV files to Toast 9's video area when the "Blu-ray Video" is highlighted. Then, on the right-side-bottom, I select DVD as the media, and hit the RED button to record. Recording finished without any error message, but the DVD disc can not playback on my blu-ray player. I only see a blank screen. (This procedure takes much more time than #1 and #2)

BTW; I can burn these AVCHD videos to a regular DVD (video) in Standard-Definition format, and play it back without problem; but they are not in HD resolution.

By reading some discussions here, it seems someone already got it working. Will my Sony-350 blu-ray be the problem.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2008, 10:26 PM

I've posted in other forums regarding this topic. Just like you, i would like to know how to get a movie i burned using iMovie onto a blu-ray disc.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Forum Links
Forum Rules