Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > World Cup

World Cup
P
Jul 3, 2018, 12:58 PM

We bring opposing team down to our level and beat them with experience.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2018, 02:09 PM

Belgium vs Japan game was wild!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
We bring opposing team down to our level and beat them with experience.
The Bikini Team plays football?
45/47

P  (op)
Jul 3, 2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Belgium vs Japan game was wild!
Watch England - Colombia, right now. They’re trying for some sort of yellow card record.

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The Bikini Team plays football?
We’re doing OK this year.

(We’re in the quarter final, and more or less expected to not qualify)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2018, 05:37 PM

Watch England - Colombia, right now. They’re trying for some sort of yellow card record.
Sadly, I'm missing most of the games because they're smack in the middle of the work day.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2018, 07:04 PM

W
We’re doing OK this year.

(We’re in the quarter final, and more or less expected to not qualify)
We have a terrible record against you guys but Toivonen isn't an Ibrahimovic (who is likely regretting his absence) or a Larsson. You'll be tough to beat but I feel like England are a little more potent going forward. Should be a fascinating game. So many of them are at this tournament.
France V Uruguay? Brazil V Belgium? Amazing. Croatia seem like safest bets to progress but the host nation are on a real roll. Gonna be a great weekend of this cup.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

LaVitaEBella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2018, 11:18 PM

I am so happy that England is back and I really hope that they will be able to make it to the semis and to the championship round.

P  (op)
Jul 4, 2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
We have a terrible record against you guys but Toivonen isn't an Ibrahimovic (who is likely regretting his absence) or a Larsson. You'll be tough to beat but I feel like England are a little more potent going forward. Should be a fascinating game. So many of them are at this tournament.
France V Uruguay? Brazil V Belgium? Amazing. Croatia seem like safest bets to progress but the host nation are on a real roll. Gonna be a great weekend of this cup.
Our strikers haven't exactly been great, that's true (except on defense, actually - Berg shoots like he's aiming for the moon, but he is aggressive at winning the ball the back) and we really shouldn't be anywhere near a quarter final, but somehow we're hard to score against and we get the ball in front of the goal often enough that it bounces in every so often. England will be a supremely interesting game.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2018, 11:29 AM

England’s goalie is earning his keep today!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2018, 12:03 PM

He's had a pretty good tournament so far. Our whole team are getting stronger as they progress, it hasn't felt like this in 20 years.

Commiserations to Sweden, but I expected them to run us closer than they did. #itscominghome
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2018, 04:01 PM

We might have won 2-0 but it was Pickford who got us to the semi's
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2018, 06:46 PM

I'm slightly torn. On the one hand it feels like a little luck and some practicing of set pieces has got us where we are and we could yet get found out. On the other we are doing really well without coming close to hitting top gear.

Kane has yet to play a blinder, likewise Alli, Vardy, Rashford and Sterling has been mostly dreadful. Any one of them is capable of something special, we haven't really needed it yet but the question is whether they can produce it when we do. I fancy our chances against Croatia but France or Belgium at full strength is a big ask. Lets hope they pick up a bunch of injuries and a few red cards in the process of winning an exhausting semi that goes to penalties.

P  (op)
Jul 8, 2018, 04:10 AM

Pickford was fantastic, but this was our worst game in the tournament. England scored on the first real chance they had, and we didn’t have a strong enough game today to come back from that. Instead, England got better and deserved that goal after the fact.

Good game guys, I wish you the best against Croatia, although I am not optimistic.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2018, 05:06 AM

I am. Croatia weren't great against Russia and they picked up a few little knocks and cramps. That game will have taken a toll on them. They will need to be better to beat England. They are capable of that, but they haven't shown it in their last two outings.

P  (op)
Jul 9, 2018, 04:39 AM

Sure, but almost the exact same thing could be said of England before this last game. The Colombia game went long and had to be decided on penalty, and you lost to Belgium.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 05:37 AM

We wanted to lose to Belgium. Southgate planned it, though he won't admit it unless we win the whole thing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 11:54 AM

I'm still trying to figure out if Russia were better than I imagined or if Croatia had their worst game of the tournament (or both).

Regardless, I'm hoping for an England/France final.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 02:42 PM

I think I'd prefer Belgium. We never beat France.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Blainovo View Post
It's probably the fact that Russians were on the home ground and the atmosphere carried them. Remember when South Korea reached semi-finals when the Cup was held in South Korea and Japan? Host countries always perform better than usual for whatever reason.
"For whatever reason."

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...c92262519b7bff

The referee in Italy vs. South Korea was as corrupt as we've ever seen. The Korean team was allowed to hack Italy to pieces.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2018, 03:40 PM

England looks gassed at the moment

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
England looks gassed at the moment
I think you mean petrol'd

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think you mean petrol'd
You cheeky plonker!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2018, 04:38 PM

Whatta game!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2018, 05:32 PM

England deserved to go out today. They were completely out of ideas in the midfield.

Also, Modric is a boss.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2018, 07:51 PM

We should have had the game sewn up by half time, but ultimately the better side won.
Its nice that we got so much further than anyone thought we would but its sad to go out with such a whimper. Lacked strength in depth, no creativity and many not really performing like we know they can.
Relying on set pieces isn't a terrible plan but you need to actually win corners and free kicks and Croatia just didn't give anything much away in the second half.

P  (op)
Jul 12, 2018, 06:25 AM

I think that England did the best it could with the material it had, which coincidentally is what Sweden also did. Your advantage is that your team is still young and will be a threat at the Euros in 2020, while ours is aging. You need something else, not just the set pieces, but there is clearly something to build on there.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2018, 09:47 AM

Thats the disappointing part. We have pace, a world class striker, our keeper came good but we lacked creativity despite having some creative players. Also I think you should select a 23 man squad to given you options, not just a starting 11 and backup. No adequate plan B or C.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2018, 11:30 AM

The final had everything except a truly exceptional goal. I thought Perisic's was the best in a final full of them.

I thought Croatia was going to win until the own goal. It seemed to insert an element of fear into a team that has played with little to lose.

Well done to France.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Thats the disappointing part. We have pace, a world class striker, our keeper came good but we lacked creativity despite having some creative players. Also I think you should select a 23 man squad to given you options, not just a starting 11 and backup. No adequate plan B or C.
England's midfield was atrocious. I don't want to pile on Jordan Henderson any further, but he's a far cry from what England needed in midfield. Alli was mostly absent. I do wonder if Lallana or Ox could have helped if injuries weren't a factor. Wilshere too — his link up play could have been what England were missing.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2018, 05:56 PM

We needed creativity and Jordan Henderson ended up trying to provide that as well as screening the back 3/5 and leading the press. He didn't create well at all but no-one else was even really trying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules