Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Men: Beards.

Men: Beards.
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 05:56 AM

I dont want a beard, I'd like the rough look of say, house.

any tips? is he simply not shaving? or is he using a beard trimmer?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2008, 06:05 AM

Trimmer. Why would a 21(?)-year-old want to look like House, though?

It’s kind of the look I sport most of the time, but only because my skin is too sensitive (sorry, I mean thenthitive) for me to shave more than once a week.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jul 23, 2008, 06:25 AM

^^ Yep, trimmer. Get one with Ti-coated (or similar) blades, saves you from having to oil them.

^ My skin is like that, too. Have you tried Clinique's shaving stuff? I use the shaving gel and their M-lotion, works wonders for me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 06:26 AM

The Miami Vice look.

Need to be consistent otherwise it looks ratty.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2008, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by effgee View Post
^ My skin is like that, too. Have you tried Clinique's shaving stuff? I use the shaving gel and their M-lotion, works wonders for me.
Nope, haven’t tried Clinique. Happened to find a Proraso gel (which comes highly recommended by certain people on this very forum) in Toronto, which is indeed pretty great; but even with that, shaving too soon will result in a very bloody and torn face.

Rumor
Jul 23, 2008, 06:39 AM

Depends on how fast your facial hair grows. Also, a beard trimmer will be your friend to keep it short.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Trimmer. Why would a 21(?)-year-old want to look like House, though?

It’s kind of the look I sport most of the time, but only because my skin is too sensitive (sorry, I mean thenthitive) for me to shave more than once a week.
pics!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 07:22 AM

He looks more unshaven then trimmed.

I tend to avoid shaving if I can and I get a similar look by the middle of the week. I suppose a trimmer is then used to keep that look.

I can skip shaving because I have a job and I'm now married so I don't mind looking scruffy

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 08:32 AM

Nope, haven’t tried Clinique. Happened to find a Proraso gel (which comes highly recommended by certain people on this very forum) in Toronto, which is indeed pretty great; but even with that, shaving too soon will result in a very bloody and torn face.
That means that either your blades aren't sharp enough or the razor isn't properly adjusted. Sharp blades in a properly prepped razor will not cut you.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
That means that either your blades aren't sharp enough or the razor isn't properly adjusted. Sharp blades in a properly prepped razor will not cut you.
Well, I’ve tried every setting and adjustment I could and it didn’t help much. My skin is just very, very sensitive after the last shave, so it takes nothing to cut through it. Even a trimmer/shaver will give me cuts.

Originally Posted by Peter
pics!
Hmm, all right, if you want … From a couple of months ago (bit shorter and a lot redder than House’s up there, but more or less same principle), or February (about as emo as you’ll catch me, I think).

Tiresias
Jul 23, 2008, 09:14 AM

Anything more than a 5-o'clock shadow, and less than a beard, looks unpleasantly pubic up-close.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2008, 10:28 AM

House, like the guys with the "Miami Vice" look, uses a trimmer. In House, it's done to imply that Gregory shaves periodically. But the "rough" look is still just done with a trimmer. Here's the issue with that: you do as much work to keep up a consistent stubble as you would shaving. Sure, if there's a point to using that look, you'll probably go for it, but I hope that point is worthwhile.

I have had my current beard since late October, 2004; I last shaved my whole face on my last day of active duty. I have managed to keep myself looking fairly well groomed by shaving the parts I shave every other day or so, and since the hard parts (curves and angles) stay bearded, this isn't as much of a chore as regular shaving. But I don't think men look "groomed" if they have a stubble. Maybe it's the same issue I have with "bed head" hair (and I really have issues with people spending a significant amount of money to make themselves look like they don't take care of their hair), but in my field, a professional appearance is very important, so maybe that's the whole thing.

Oisín, your fair skin and light beard are one reason you're having problems. Fair skin is also generally more sensitive, and red hair, like blond hair, is finer and softer, even facial hair. And red or blond beards don't ever get particularly tough, so you're probably stuck with either shaved or a beard, nothing in between. There's another issue you'll eventually run into with this: reds turn a bit "pink" when they gray... (Look up Van Johnson and Arthur Godfrey sometime, then find pictures of them when they were older.) Sorry dude...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 11:11 AM

Hmm, all right, if you want … From a couple of months ago (bit shorter and a lot redder than House’s up there, but more or less same principle), or February (about as emo as you’ll catch me, I think).
Your french friend has a proper looking beard. Good coverage of the face with a smooth consistent trim to it.
Some people can do it and some can't. I can't do the short-but-trimmed look. I have had a full beard for the past
five years; When it is too short I look sickly and when it is too long I look maniacally, so I keep it trimmed to a
nice moderate length. The trimming I have to do twice a week, sometimes more in the Summer when it is warmer.

You know, we should get Ice to offer some feedback/suggestions. I believe he is/has been a wearer of the short-
but-trim, sleekly manicured look in facial hair.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Jul 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: wrong comma placement.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 11:20 AM

{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 11:22 AM

Oisín, Is it your whole face that gets torn up, or just your neck?

P.S. the way you look reminds me of Eddie Izzard and/or Michael C. Hall, and because you know so many languages, I assumed you were about 40 years older then you are.

Both of these are compliments.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 11:26 AM

Due to the fact that it makes my skin uber-sensitive if I shave on consecutive days, I almost always have some stubble on my face. I shave on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings.

I see more and more people with either stubble or beards in the business sector. The clean-shaven look used to seem to indicate a motivation for wealth, success, etc. With the workplace becoming more casual, facial hair concerns seem to be floating away (thank God).

I'd grow a beard again, but my wife would kill me. She said it would feel like kissing a dog.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 11:31 AM

If I guys beard is thick and well trimmed I find it super hot. If it is thin and growing right down the throat it is gross.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 11:48 AM

That's a problem with the stubble look too, to pull it off 100% you really need to clean-shave your neck, which sort of obviates the point.

However, if you don't do this, I'm in total disagreement with Glenn about how much time and effort is involved. I could do the whole deal in under two minutes... dry.

Tiresias
Jul 23, 2008, 11:50 AM

At what age does a man's facial hair mature? I'm 28. I need to shave every second day to avoid stubble; but if I go without shaving, it's just a patchy, ratty mess. However, I also notice that my growth thickens year by year.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 11:55 AM

You need the right kind of facial hair to pull off that look. My facial hair is a lot finer then that, so my 5 o'clock shadow looks completely different from his. I achieve the look by using clippers with no guard.

Then again, I normally have a full beard. The 5 o'clock shadow look is what I look like when I decide to shave it all off, which happens about once ever month or two.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Tiresias
Jul 23, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
At what age does a man's facial hair mature? I'm 28. I need to shave every second day to avoid stubble; but if I go without shaving, it's just a patchy, ratty mess. However, I also notice that my growth thickens year by year.
Again, Wikipedia knows all.

Many men develop facial hair in the later years of puberty, approximately between 15-18 years old although some men don't finish developing a fully adult beard until their early 20s or even later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_hair#cite_note-0
Facial hair is generally one of the last characteristics of physical maturity to develop during adolescence. Many physically mature guys don't finish developing a fully adult beard until their early 20s or even later. If you're still young, remember that your beard may continue to get thicker as you get older. Many guys notice their beards growing thicker, denser and faster when they enter their 30s and 40s.

http://beardcommunity.com/faq.php#1

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 12:37 PM

Damn it. I as gonna post a picture of Beavis and Butthead when they glued hair on their faces so they'd have beards and get chicks... but Google failed me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
It depends on the person. My ex had a full thick beard at 21 but others I know have a patchy one for their whole lives.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 01:45 PM

I've had a beard since 1989, mustache since 1965. I've kept the head shaved for the last couple of years. I use a Schick Quattro with off the shelf shaving cream, although my daughter's partner recently gave me a tube of Jack Black beard cream, and it was noticeably smoother when shaving the noggin. (She doesn't like my beard, and I think she thought I would shave it off, but I used the stuff on top). I trim the beard once a month, with a Wahl electric clipper, with a #2 trimmer attached, and shave the head daily.

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 01:47 PM

Could you please post a larger picture? There's still a little bit of MacNN showing up on my screen.

vexborg
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 01:58 PM

This is me and my beard (normally my hair is shorter than this - and yes, I've got bloody dry skin at the moment)...

The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Could you please post a larger picture? There's still a little bit of MacNN showing up on my screen.
Shows up okay on my screen, unless I click on it. Besides, I couldn't find a larger one.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 04:25 PM

This is what my scruff looks like on the last day before the shave. Unprofessional? Yes/no?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 04:26 PM

Unprofessional? Not in this day and age.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 05:38 PM

This is mine. As you can see, i keep it neatly trimmed, as the babes really hate the sloppy look. I use a Remington 500 Weed Wacker.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 07:28 PM

Unprofessional? Not in this day and age.
I really, really don't know when you're being sarcastic or not. I don't know whether or not to give you a or a so I'll just give you a

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2008, 09:14 PM

Stubble not unprofessional (unless you work in a very corporate place), but I would go a bit lighter on the mascara.

Oisín, Is it your whole face that gets torn up, or just your neck?
Neck is worst, but the rest of the face gets torn too, if I shave too soon.

P.S. the way you look reminds me of Eddie Izzard and/or Michael C. Hall, and because you know so many languages, I assumed you were about 40 years older then you are.
Damn, I know people tend to think I’m older than I am online (mostly due to my somewhat, ah, fanciful mannerisms and choice of words), but 40 years?! That would make me 65. Ouch.

Also, I don’t know who Michael C. Hall is and I’m purposefully going to not Google him so that I can at least give you the benefit of the doubt there; but looking like Eddie Izzard is not really something I would normally consider much of a compliment.

(And before certain people begin: no, I do NOT look like NPH!)

Oisín, your fair skin and light beard are one reason you're having problems. Fair skin is also generally more sensitive, and red hair, like blond hair, is finer and softer, even facial hair.
Softer? Hm? Well, still feels like sand paper (my ex used to complain about that—impossible to kiss me for a day or two, ’cause it would hurt).

And red or blond beards don't ever get particularly tough, so you're probably stuck with either shaved or a beard, nothing in between.
I’m very, very unfond of beards. I’m usually at ‘in between’, since clean-shaven, while very nice, takes a lot of effort and time and is only possible about once a week anyway.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
I use a Schick Quattro with off the shelf shaving cream, although my daughter's partner recently gave me a tube of Jack Black beard cream, and it was noticeably smoother when shaving the noggin. (She doesn't like my beard, and I think she thought I would shave it off, but I used the stuff on top).
Thus proving that men with beards are inherently untrustworthy.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 11:11 PM

Stubble not unprofessional (unless you work in a very corporate place), but I would go a bit lighter on the mascara.

I swear I just have really thick and long eyelashes. Look at the eyebrows for a point of reference.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2008, 02:33 AM

Neck is worst, but the rest of the face gets torn too, if I shave too soon.

Are you shaving with the grain on your neck?

On me at least, the face and upper part of the neck have the grain going down, while the lower part of my neck has the grain going up, and the **** goes sideways where the two meet. Even so, I'll usually just go straight down the neck, and that's where I get the most shreddage.

Damn, I know people tend to think I’m older than I am online (mostly due to my somewhat, ah, fanciful mannerisms and choice of words), but 40 years?! That would make me 65. Ouch.

It's purely a combination of wisdom and calm. You don't seem old so much as not a snot.

Also, I don’t know who Michael C. Hall is and I’m purposefully going to not Google him so that I can at least give you the benefit of the doubt there; but looking like Eddie Izzard is not really something I would normally consider much of a compliment.

Both good looking dudes in my book. Perhaps both a bit boyish, but looking young is something you'll never regret. Hall is making his smile intentionally goofy BTW, to contrast with the blood splattered on his face.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2008, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Are you shaving with the grain on your neck?

On me at least, the face and upper part of the neck have the grain going down, while the lower part of my neck has the grain going up, and the **** goes sideways where the two meet. Even so, I'll usually just go straight down the neck, and that's where I get the most shreddage.
Yup, I have the same issue there, too. I have lots and lots of stupid little cowlicks everywhere, including facial hair, so the hairs on my neck has the grain in fourteen different ways till Sunday. That is where I get cut the worst, too; but even my (even-grained) cheeks get cut somewhat if I try too soon.

It's purely a combination of wisdom and calm. You don't seem old so much as not a snot.
Oh, well, that I guess I can live with.

Both good looking dudes in my book. Perhaps both a bit boyish, but looking young is something you'll never regret. Hall is making his smile intentionally goofy BTW, to contrast with the blood splattered on his face.
Oh, David from Six Feet Under. The guy with the odd face, I’ve always thought him. But I’ll take it as a compliment, since you did intend it as one. Boyish-looking is at least something I’d always consider a compliment.

Edit: Hey, how did this thread end up becoming all about me-me-me?! Apologies for stealing your thread, Peter; I didn’t mean to.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I really, really don't know when you're being sarcastic or not. I don't know whether or not to give you a or a so I'll just give you a
I was being serious.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2008, 09:21 AM

In the healthcare professions, stubble is generally NOT considered a "professional" image. Lots of other professions look for really fastidious grooming too, because there's an impression of attention to detail that goes with that. Would you hire an attorney who didn't shave? A physician? An accountant? Any creative profession would probably be fine with having people present and "edgy" appearance, but I can't see many other situations where the clientele would appreciate that edge.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 09:32 AM

astronaut?

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 24, 2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In the healthcare professions, stubble is generally NOT considered a "professional" image. Lots of other professions look for really fastidious grooming too, because there's an impression of attention to detail that goes with that. Would you hire an attorney who didn't shave? A physician? An accountant? Any creative profession would probably be fine with having people present and "edgy" appearance, but I can't see many other situations where the clientele would appreciate that edge.
Heh. I like my rock stars to look like they can't hold down a day job at a bank. And I like my Swiss bankers to look like they shave five times a day.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 09:39 AM

I think we can safely assume that it doesn't apply to any profession still bound by the suit & tie. (Or in your case where a "sanitary" look is required)

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2008, 10:53 AM

I think we can safely assume that it doesn't apply to any profession still bound by the suit & tie. (Or in your case where a "sanitary" look is required)
So wouldn't that sort of line up with "creative" types getting away with stubble and just about everyone else not? (Except hair dressers-would they be "creative" or just "expected to be odd"?)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2008, 11:07 AM

I was being serious.
Then you get a , my friend.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 11:08 AM

So wouldn't that sort of line up with "creative" types getting away with stubble and just about everyone else not? (Except hair dressers-would they be "creative" or just "expected to be odd"?)
Not really, I think you've left out the range from GAP staffers to white collar business casual types.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Then you get a , my friend.
Keep that deformed thing away from me.

Tiresias
Jul 24, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post

This is mine. As you can see, i keep it neatly trimmed, as the babes really hate the sloppy look. I use a Remington 500 Weed Wacker.
Is that real?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2008, 11:19 AM

Is it strange that the progressive Christian movement is totally fine with stubble of all sorts and lengths?

Creative types are definitely given a lot more leeway as far as facial hair goes. My graphic design and photographer friends all look quite "out there," and have no problems maintaining a constant flow of business. One of the coders has a mohawk, a large pointy goatee, two massive earrings, a tattoo that covers his entire right arm (which is always exposed because all he wears is t-shirts), and every single client absolutely loves him and his work. He's on a business trip right now.

I've always hated the extremely well-groomed and starchy look. It feels like people who portray that image are maintaining their perfectly-slicked hair, stubble-free face, starchy suits and ties, and expensive shoes simply to impress others who associate that look with success. Don't get me wrong: there's nothing wrong with ambition (if it's not out of control), but the whole suit-every-day world is not appealing at all to me for a variety of reasons.

And before the grain discussion disappears completely, my facial hair grows to the sides in the 'stache area, down on the cheeks, slightly inward/down on the top/sides of the throat, and away from the middle (to the sides) on on the throat. Shaving my face feels like making my way through a maze, except I have to weed-eat 5-foot tall shrubs along the way.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 09:08 AM

Yup, I have the same issue there, too. I have lots and lots of stupid little cowlicks everywhere, including facial hair, so the hairs on my neck has the grain in fourteen different ways till Sunday. That is where I get cut the worst, too; but even my (even-grained) cheeks get cut somewhat if I try too soon.
I used to have the same problem and would only shave at most twice a week or as the ocassion required. I now have a job that pretty much requires shaving every day, and I don't know if is a result of my aging and skin getting tougher (i'm 37) or simply the act of shaving, but I no longer have problems. The only time I get irritation anymore is if a go for 3-4 days without shaving.

Cold Warrior
Jul 28, 2008, 09:54 AM

I use a trimmer without a guard on the sides, then the guard on the lowest setting for the chin and upper lip. I do this usually on Sunday and again a few days later. It's both to avoid shaving (I've had to shave since 13) and to maintain a rough-yet-controlled look for work. Thankfully I don't work in the health or business fields. It sort of does give me the House look.

I use this one:
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Jul 28, 2008 at 10:09 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I use this one:
That thing looks dangerous. Do not want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules