Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which external HD to buy?

Which external HD to buy?
rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2010, 10:42 PM

I'm looking to replace four 250GB hard drives with a single drive, ideally a 2TB drive. I'd like the enclosure to have both USB 2.0 and FireWire too. In the past I've bought separate drives and enclosures, and I'm not opposed to doing that again, but I've found a number of enclosures with FireWire problems. Can anyone recommend either a branded drive and enclosure, or a good, reliable enclosure for a drive?

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2010, 11:12 AM

Could you remove one of the 250s you have from its enclosure you're happy with and put a 1 or 2 TB drive in there? You already have the enclosure. You'd just need a drive.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2010, 12:23 PM

Get an Oxford chipset based enclosure if you care about Firewire.

rjenkinson  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by tomrock View Post
Could you remove one of the 250s you have from its enclosure you're happy with and put a 1 or 2 TB drive in there? You already have the enclosure. You'd just need a drive.
I could, but the enclosure is IDE-based and I'm trying to get rid of older hardware. It's also easier for me to sell the enclosure and drive together on Craigslist, defraying the cost of a new drive. FireWire is also not absolutely essential, but I'd like to have it to free up USB ports. At the moment, I'm leaning towards something like the WD My Book. Does anyone have experience with the drive or something similar?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2010, 06:44 PM

$150 2TB Hitachi + $55 FW800 enclosure (Oxford 934DSB) beats a MyBook with a mystery chipset any day.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2010, 05:27 AM

I can't speak for others, but I've always been very happy with all the Acomdata enclosures I've bought. I just bought this one (got a USB-only 1TB WD MyBook for Christmas, but needed FireWire, so bought a new case to put the drive in). Use it with FireWire 100% of the time (it's my Time Machine backup drive) and I'm 100% satisfied.

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
$150 2TB Hitachi + $55 FW800 enclosure (Oxford 934DSB) beats a MyBook with a mystery chipset any day.
Just to clarify, the enclosure linked above is for 2.5" drives - Rosewill however is a solid brand in my experience - I have a 3.5" USB/FW (IDE) enclosure that I have been using with various backup drives for the past 5 years.

The OWC enclosures and drive kits are also of very good quality but generally cost slightly more than the brands carried by NewEgg.

What type of IDE enclosures are you going to be selling? I might be interested...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2010, 08:23 AM

No, actually it won't. Because contrary to the MyBook your suggestion won't even work. 3.5" HDDs don't fit in 2.5" cases.

What would work with that disk is this USB/FW400/FW800/eSATA enclosure with Oxford 934DSB chipset. It's $69 plus shipping.

They also have it in black.

Edit: oops, looks like Tee beat me.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 11:59 AM

I have the 2.5" Rosewill enclosure referred to above, which works great. I'm assuming the quality carries thru to the 3.5" enclosure. Nice not have an internal fan.

The main comment on the 3.5" enclosure is that the internal HD is hard to swap because of the number of small screws and requiring 2 different sized screw drivers. Small price to pay for a quality enclosure, and a good price.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2010, 05:41 PM

D'oh. Look to save a buck and ignore the size.

rjenkinson  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 05:44 PM

The Rosewill enclosure certainly looks good and has been reviewed positively. My main concern with it is cost. Is it worth the CDN$86 plus shipping when I can get a generic case downtown for $30. And should I have any problems with the case, I'd be looking at shipping the enclosure back to Newegg, rather than just returning the generic case to a store myself. Basically, is the Rosewill enclosure worth paying nearly triple the price of a generic enclosure?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2010, 07:14 PM

Do reliable and performant Firewire support matter to you?

rjenkinson  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 07:46 PM

Do reliable and performant Firewire support matter to you?
Yes, but the question is: is this particular enclosure so much more reliable than a generic case that it can command triple the price? In my experience, any failures with enclosures has been immediate. I've never had an enclosure fail on me during use. Given that, and the price difference between the Rosewill and the generic case, I'm leaning towards the generic case. After all, I can simply return a DOA enclosure to the store.

rjenkinson  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2010, 08:52 PM

I ended up buying the generic case and it's worked flawlessly. Saved myself $60 plus the cost of shipping from Newegg.

Forum Links
Forum Rules