Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to Install Classic on OSX 10.3.3

How to Install Classic on OSX 10.3.3
Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 07:54 AM

Hi all,

Hoping that someone can assist me - I want to install classic on 10.3 but can't figure it out. I've got a copy of OS 9.2.1 and tried to simply copy the System folder across to a Classic folder. Classic Preferences picked this up, and started to launch, but then informed me that you can't run Classic from a folder that has been copied off the original media. So obviously a straight copy won't work. And I can't boot from the CD either (running a Powerbook 17, BTW).

Can anyone provide basic instructions on what to do to get this running? The OSX help is next to useless.

Many thanks,

WJ.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 17, 2004, 11:54 AM

have you got another machine you can install it on? if so, you can drag it from there, once installed. failing that, i think you're pretty much looking at a wipe/reinstall operation. it's a pain, for sure, but that's the only way i know of.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

lenox
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 01:59 PM

The system restore disc(s) that came with your computer have an OS 9 installer package on them, for classic support. From what I can remember, you can just run the software restore app and tell it you want classic. Otherwise, the .pkg is in a hidden dir, afaik.

Wet Jimmy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the assistance! Not the answers I was HOPING for, but at least I can stop mucking about. I suppose this weekend is as good a time as any for a rebuild

Cheers!

WJ.

lenox
Senior User
Apr 16, 2004, 12:23 PM

You don't need to rebuild anything...it's a simple package install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules