Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > burning an OS X bootable cd

burning an OS X bootable cd
acadian
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 06:16 PM

I've got an OS X installer image which I have managed to burn into a bootable cd using toast 5, but when i boot from the CD and try to launch the installer it keeps asking me to reslect the startup disk. I've tried selecting the OSX boot system folder in the install cd as the start up folder but this has not helped. Any suggestions?
people ruin everything....

thrillhouse
Apr 25, 2001, 10:23 PM

yeah, i've got some advice: buy a retail copy.

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2001, 11:24 PM

ditto: buy a copy.

acadian  (op)
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 11:36 PM

What makes you think I already haven't bought a retail copy? The 2nd copy I am trying to make is a backup for the G3 Tower my wife and I keep at our cottage. Rather than having to ship one copy back and forth over the three hour drive into the city, it seems only rational that I would want to make a backup of software that I ALREADY OWN! Last time I checked, THAT was still legal.

Intelligable, non critical responses appreciated.

Thank You

JLannoo
Apr 25, 2001, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by King Chung Huang:
ditto: buy a copy.
While I agree one should buy a Copy. It would be nice to know that I will be able to make a working backup CD.

So is the problem his image? Has anyone successfully made a working backup copy?

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot

G4 Cube 450 448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon 800 256MB GeForce 2 GTS

[This message has been edited by JLannoo (edited 04-25-2001).]
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

not a lawyer
Apr 26, 2001, 12:18 AM

you bought one copy that you intend to install on more than one computer. that is an infringement of the software license agreement and still merits the response "buy a copy."

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2001, 12:20 AM

Insert original into CD or DVD drive.
Launch Toast 5.
Select "Copy" in the main window.
File -> Save as Disc Image.
When it's done, drag the image into the Toast window. DO NOT open or mount the disc image.
Burn away.

HTH, Reg.

------------------
"A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a danish."
- Ty Webb, "Caddyshack"
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

I'm not a lawyer either..
Apr 26, 2001, 02:57 AM

Last time I checked the user agreement, it reads that one may have it installed on two different machines as long as they are not ever used at the same time. And as far as copying one of the said CDs: If you have an additional CD-ROM or DVD drive, you can simply put the original into the drive and select "Disk Copy." Be sure to click on the "data..." button and make sure ALL of the bytes are selected to be copied. This will make an exact replica of the original disk.

bommai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2001, 07:17 AM

Talking about bootable copies of OS X cd. I have a PM 7500 w/ 400MHz G3. I followed the instructions of Ryan Rempel on how to make a bootable CD for this machine. However, when I use System Disk to select the boot volume, the CD is not listed. Anyone got this to work!!

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2001, 07:36 AM

Bommai, Hold down the C key on startup, this almost always works for me. Or if Startup Disk doesn't work, ususally I'd hold down the option key at startup, then select the CD.

[This message has been edited by mr100percent (edited 04-26-2001).]

European Macaddict
Apr 26, 2001, 08:21 AM

I own the original CDs.
I tried to make a bootable copy of OSX for backup, but it usually failed (CD-to-CD copy, disk image with Toast, DiskCopy, ...) until ...
Until I use CD-Copy 2.0.3 from Astarte (discontinued) to make the image.
Then double-click, Toast (4.2 here) starts, click "write session", don't look for "bootable" option, there isn't, of course, with image.

And I got a bootable copy.

Easy trick from European Macaddict.

SaarK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2001, 11:54 AM

-insert an original working CD in the a CD reader.
-Open toast.
-select Disc copy, or SCSI copy, depending on your version of toast.
-hit the data button, and choose the name of the drive containing the original CD. It wil lbe listed by actualy brand of the drive. My Apple 24x reader is listed at a Matshita 8024 something or another...
-hit Ok, and then on the next window, change the blocks pop up to MB, and type in 650, leave the starting block at 0.
-hit Ok.
-then hit write CD.

THis information is for educational purposes only... yadda yadda yadda...

Sebastien
Apr 26, 2001, 07:32 PM

you bought one copy that you intend to install on more than one computer. that is an infringement of the software license agreement and still merits the response "buy a copy."
Perhaps if you actually knew what you were talking about you'd know that running a copy on one computer at a time is legal and not infringement.

acadian - I would suggest that you post why you need to burn copies of sw in the future to avoid the usual jackass responses.

Seb
(still remembers the good old days when people would actually post helpful responses on MacNN forums)

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 04-26-2001).]

not a lawyer
Apr 27, 2001, 12:22 AM

Sebastian,
I'm usually not one to care about software licensing but when someone uses language like this:
"Perhaps if you actually knew what you were talking about you'd know that running a copy on one computer at a time is legal and not infringement." then I feel a little hurt.

Especially if you look on the first page of the "Software License Agreement for Mac OS X Single Use License" booklet (kind of telling that the title says "single use license") under item 2 "permitted license uses and restrictions" where the second sentence says "This license does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time." It does go on to say you can make a back-up copy and that you can transfer the license to another party but it explicitly states that you cannot use the software on more than one computer.

Next time you feel like being rude, perhaps you should check to see if you actually know anything about what you are talking about.

acadian  (op)
Senior User
Apr 27, 2001, 12:48 AM

I dont know how this post turned into a debate regarding software licensing. The question was simple, can anyone offer a solution to burning a bootable OS disk. YES, the licensing agreement states explicitly that the OS cannot "exist" on more than one computer at a time. That said, after speaking with an Apple rep on the phone and explaining the situation, he responded that it would be highly unlikely Apple would take offence to someone using the software in this fashion, ie. installed on 2 separate computers within the same private users home. Not allowing the software to "exist" on more than one computer at a time is a clause designed to target individual's engaged in routine piracy. Discretion must be used when considering issues such as this. I think Sebastien was most likely miffed with the nature of the "holier than thou" reply's to my initial post in that they were cynical and smart assed. I can only assume that individual's who post reply's such as that have themselves NEVER made a copy of a freind's audio cd, downloaded an MP3, not paid for a shareware app and routinely feed parking meter's on a timely basis.

walter
Apr 29, 2001, 01:34 AM

Well said Sebastien & acadian.

I've stopped reading posts from "unregistered"'s long ago for this exact reason.

not a lawyer
Apr 30, 2001, 10:02 PM

I would agree with you walter that acadian (sorry, If I mispell but this forum doesn't allow to see previous posts as you write - that's why I misspelled sebastien's name before) spoke well. Perhaps I was a little emotional and this forum was not the best place to bring up complex licensing issues. But I'm perplexed as to why you say sebastien was well spoken - considering that I brought up evidence that showed he was incorrect and acadian agreed, what is it that you agree with. You only seem to believe that "unregisterds" are not worth reading (I suppose you won't read this). Sebastien is registered and has a bunch of little stars next to his name (whatever that means) yet what he/she states is patently false. Is it less false because he's registered? Is what I state less true because I'm not? Maybe you should think about what you meant by that, I certainly hope that you don't apply that same thinking to the real world.

acadian, this horse is long dead but let me just say that Apple is by no mean OK with you infringing the software license agreement (you'll just have to take my word for it that I know) despite whatever the "apple rep" told you, the software license agreement applies to you in principle and in actuality.

-
May 1, 2001, 04:23 AM

First you agree with him, but you disagree with what he says; which one is it??

Oh who cares anymore! this isn't even close to the point of the original question.

Who the hell are you anyways? The RIAA? MPAA? Apple's legal firm?

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 01:11 AM

Hi
I have the same problem, want to burn a copy of my OS X for my powerbook and then install OS X on my G4 desktop. The original is a DVD, which I then made a copy onto CD (as my desktop only has a CD drive) but It won't work, so does anyone know what I need to do (I'm not getting into the legal argument, I'm just hoping someone can tell me if it is physically possible) I don't have Toast, I just have the burning software that came with the powerbook(but I don't know what it is called)

Originally posted by acadian:
I've got an OS X installer image which I have managed to burn into a bootable cd using toast 5, but when i boot from the CD and try to launch the installer it keeps asking me to reslect the startup disk. I've tried selecting the OSX boot system folder in the install cd as the start up folder but this has not helped. Any suggestions?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by not a lawyer:
He could have bought the Apple 5 license pack for $199 that lets you install on up to 5 computers in your posession.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by bommai:
Talking about bootable copies of OS X cd. I have a PM 7500 w/ 400MHz G3. I followed the instructions of Ryan Rempel on how to make a bootable CD for this machine. However, when I use System Disk to select the boot volume, the CD is not listed. Anyone got this to work!!
I think you'll need a third party utility like XPostFacto to install OS X on unsupported machines like your 7500.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I think you'll need a third party utility like XPostFacto to install OS X on unsupported machines like your 7500.
Props for the linkage, but I'm guessing that he already found an answer in the 29 or so months since he asked the question

This thread be old.

--Josh

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
Props for the linkage, but I'm guessing that he already found an answer in the 29 or so months since he asked the question

This thread be old.

--Josh
So it is. Again, let's just blame this on n00bs who dig up old threads.

Hans M Aus
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 09:24 AM

Is possible to create a bootable OSX Panther distribution CD?

The 5 cpu family license pack and the multiple user (cpu) education license pack come with only one set of CDs.

It would be useful to burn bootable CDs for the routine tasks of installing, re-installing, repairing the hard disks, and repairing permissions.

BootCD installs Disk Utility on a bootable CD, which works fine but, unfortunately, the CD boot startup time is slooow.

Is possible to create a bootable OSX CD?
( Last edited by Hans M Aus; Jun 25, 2004 at 03:53 AM. )
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Würzburg,

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Hans M Aus:
Is possible to create a bootable OSX Panther distribution CD?
Yes, just make an exact copy of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules