Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Wife having problems with boss over Macs

Wife having problems with boss over Macs
doyal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 08:41 PM

I hope someone here can help us soon. My wife has bought a 12" Powerbook for her mobile computer which she uses alot. Her boss wanted her to buy a PC but relented after her assurances over compatabilty issues etc. All has been good except one thing. One thing that I just can't figure out and which is making my wife's boss extremely p*ssed off.

My wife and her boss send word documents back and forth to each other many times a day. Whenever my wife sends a doc to her boss she gets a verbal lashing because certain mistakes that HIS PC version of word has picked up slipped by her computer.

For example, a simple example. In a Word document opened on a PC "the their" is underlined as it should be for being incorrect grammer, but on her 12"Powerbook as well as her eMac "the their" is not underlined or otherwise pointed out by Word as being incorrect.

I've done just about all that I can think of to fix this issue. I've checkmarked all settings that should affect grammer so basically if one were to cough a grammer error window would pop up but I CANNOT get WORD X or WORD 04 for her macs to underline a simple error such as "the their".

I've messed with it for hours and cannot make it happen. Any help WILL be appreciated.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 08:54 PM

Preferences -> Spelling and Grammar. Put checks next to "Check Grammar as you Type", "Check grammar with spelling", and "Show readability statistics." And make sure the Writing Style is set to Technical.

That should work for you.
Chris
( Last edited by chabig; Jun 21, 2004 at 09:00 PM. )

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 09:16 PM

I just had to ask. I am assuming this is a computer that the company bought for her? If not, even if it was a portion, but not all of it. I'd tell "him" to stuff it. Of course if the company paid for it, then good for her staying on the Mac platform. I really sounds like a setting thing with the grammar. Good luck to your wife.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2004, 10:14 PM

It shows incorrect grammar when I typed in "the their" on my Word X. Don't know what the problem is?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2004, 10:36 PM

I just did some testing with 'the their' and grammar only caught it in certain circumstances.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 11:28 PM

Doesn't your wife proof read the documents she sends to her boss? Basically, he's picking up grammar errors that your wife didn't? Or am I not understanding your problem right?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 05:58 AM

How might you use "the their" in a sentence? I can't work out what it's supposed to mean.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 06:12 AM

Glad to see that people caught on that it's grammAr and not grammEr.

I got the underlines fine using Word 2004. Just a matter of settings. And she should use the compatibility report if she's using Word 2004.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 06:35 AM

It's a laptop right?
She should take it into his office and they should pop up word on both computers and go thorough all the settings together. Sync the settings up. Take less than 5 minutes.

Or, as the secret society of mac users, we could all get together and make him... disappear.

memento
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Doesn't your wife proof read the documents she sends to her boss? Basically, he's picking up grammar errors that your wife didn't? Or am I not understanding your problem right?

I don't think this is a computer platform issue...
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 22, 2004, 04:25 PM

She needs to proof her documents. Relying on the grammar checker isn't reliable--a lot of stuff slips through.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Forum Links
Forum Rules