Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook and Cell Phone (help!)

New iBook and Cell Phone (help!)
cole2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 05:58 PM

Hey folks -

I convinced my computer-fearing friend to go ahead and buy a new 12" combo drive iBook (all of her friends kept pushing her to go PC... but she's never had a computer in her life, and from my experience of Windows... ugh!!!).

The folks at the Apple Store tried to convince her to go Ti, but I assured her that the iBook is perfect for her mobile lifestyle (the Ti just doesn't have that case strength I thought was necessary).

Problem is now - she wants to use a cell phone to connect to the web and get email. Obivously on the Ti it would have been *much* easier, but it would have cost her $800 more. I need some help on either alternative ways to get email on the go or easy simple set-up to get her phone to connect to the iBook.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!! I don't wanna spoil her first venture into the world of Apple.

Thanks![/LIST]

darksnoopy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 06:25 PM

here, read this forum http://dealmac.com/forums/read.html?...74182&t=673422 , i hope this helps. also if you don't have a staples near you, i also know amazon.com carries the keyspan.

good luck,
darksnoopy

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: darksnoopy ]

Nawus
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2002, 07:31 PM

Most GPRS cell phones can be connected via a cable to the USB port.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2002, 02:27 AM

If she needs an ir port heres one from Lindy.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2002, 02:22 AM

Which model phone is it dude?

Find out and go to their website.

For example, my ericsson T20e (not a particularly fancy phone) now has an accessory which is a bluetooth phone adaptor.

This means it can connect to an airport network just like an airport enabled ibook.

But of course, if she doesnt have airport, there should be a usb device available that will let you transfer data between the phone and the mac.

You have to watch this though, because a lot of them arent mac compatible.

The cable for my ericsson plugs into my mac, but the software for transferring tunes, pics entries etc is windows only - which sux ass.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

XGumption
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2002, 03:13 AM

Does her phone have Bluetooth ??

Looks like that will be a sweeeeeet solution in April

Apple's Bluetooth Page

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2002, 12:37 PM

If it's not a bluetooth phone, does it have an infra-red port?

I posted this only a couple of weeks ago with links to connect irda phone to work with the ibook:

http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=13&t=003220

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Chimpmaster:
<STRONG>
This means it can connect to an airport network just like an airport enabled ibook.
.</STRONG>
Could you tell me more? I've got the Ericson T86 with blutooth build in - does that mean I can access my iBook via airport?

Cheers

Thippy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 04:17 PM

Hmm...I wonder. I have the Keyspan Infared Remote Control for iTunes/Dvd Player and quicktime. I wonder If there is a way to also make it be able to use with my cellphone? Anyone know?

omarv
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2002, 04:31 PM

if it's kyocera, they have a cable that connects to the phone via USB, you can check their website for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules