Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Proxim Skyline 802.11b USB Adpapter

Proxim Skyline 802.11b USB Adpapter
John Strung
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 01:05 PM

I am trying to set up wireless networking with my Performa 6400. I have a Proxim Skyline 802.11b USB adapter. I know it works because I can connect my G4 wirelessly to my SMC base station by plugging the adapter into the G4's USB port.

However I can't get the Performa (which has a MacAlly PCI USB card) to recognize the adapter. I have done a clean install of OS 9 and have the right drivers for both devices.

I phoned tech support for both Proxim and Macally and naturally they blame each other. I suspect if this is going to work at all I am going to have to get a different PCI USB card.

Has anyone had any experience trying to use a Proxim Skyline Wireless USB Adapter with a third party PCI USB card?

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by John Strung:
Has anyone had any experience trying to use a Proxim Skyline Wireless USB Adapter with a third party PCI USB card?
Yes, I use it on my beige G3/266 with a Belkin USB PCI card. I remember having a little trouble setting it up, but that was mostly to do with WEP. It works fine, now.

John Strung  (op)
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Macola:

Yes, I use it on my beige G3/266 with a Belkin USB PCI card. I remember having a little trouble setting it up, but that was mostly to do with WEP. It works fine, now.
Thanks. I will give that a try.

John Strung  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2002, 08:36 AM

No luck with the Belkin either. Both the Belkin and Macally cards seem to be working in that I can use a USB mouse with them.

In both cases, sometimes the Skyline Wireless adapter will show up in ASP and sometimes not. It seems more likely to appear after a warm reboot.

If the Skyline adapter does not appear in ASP, when I try to open the Skyline Wireless control panel I get a message saying that the Skyline can't be found.

If the Skyline adapter does show up in ASP, then the control panel will open, but the Skyline is unable to find the wireless base station either by searching generally or when I specify the SSID. WEP is off on both the base station and on the Skyline.

This happens with both the Macally and the Belkin cards.

I have tried both OS 9.0.4 and 9.1.

The Skyline will work when plugged into the USB port of my G4.

I wonder if there is some incompatibility with my 6400.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 12:31 PM

John--I'm not sure what's causing the problem (as you said, it could be a compatibility issue with the Performa). However, on my G3, I'm running OS 9.2.2. Also, you could try disabling WEP and see if that helps.

John Strung  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2002, 06:39 PM

Oddly enough, I came home tonight, booted the computer and it connected! I have no idea why. Still seems to work after several reboots. Strange...
( Last edited by John Strung; Aug 29, 2002 at 06:45 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules