Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Multiple Base Stations?

Multiple Base Stations?
John Strung
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 10:04 AM

I have just installed a DLink DL614+ wireless router to use as a bridge to our wired network at my office. (To my surprise, it even bridged our Novell network which runs IPX). However, our office is too big for the one base station to cover, and I am thinking of putting one base station in each corner of the office, all connected to our wired network.

If I do this, should all four base stations have the same SSID and channel or different SSIDs and/or channels? (SSID broadcast is turned off for security reasons, by the way.)

Has anyone done this?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2003, 10:39 AM

Use the same SSID and different channels. This establishes your wireless network to allow the clients to roam. Clients will see one network with several channels, and will select the channel with the best signal, expanding the range and reliability of your wireless network.

Make sure that all of the access points are on different channels, preferably at least two or three channels apart. Do something like this:
Northwest corner office access point on channel 1
Northeast corner office access point on channel 4
Southeast corner office access point on channel 7
Southwest corner office access point on channel 10

Good luck!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

John Strung  (op)
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 05:36 PM

Great. Thanks, GH. Will try it. It may be a few weeks before I can get around to it, thouhg.

Forum Links
Forum Rules