Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook won't boot

iBook won't boot
John Strung
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 10:07 AM

My daughter's 933 iBook will not boot. It gets as far as the Apple and spinning wheel, but never gets farther. She is running 10.3.x. Not sure how far she updated it. She has two bootable partitions, but booting holding down the option key only shows the first partition and it will not boot.

It will also not boot from the AppleCare TechTool Deluze CD that came with it, or from my Panther CD, either by holding down the c key, or by holding down the option key, or by holding down command-shift-option-delete.

I have tried zapping the PRAM. Still no luck.

I can get her drive to mount on my G4 using target disk mode, and running Disk Utility's Disk First Aid gives the drive a clean bill of health.

She does in fact have a fairly recent (non-bootable) backup of her essential files on an external USB drive, and I was able to get the more recent stuff off using target disk mode.

It is still under warranty. She took it into dealer and left it overnight, but they said there was no hardware problem and she should re-install the system. I would do that if I could boot it from a CD.

To be fair, she forgot to leave me her install CD, so I will have to get her to bring that, but since it won't boot from the TechToolDeluxe CD that came with it or from my retail Panther install CD, I am not optimistic.

When I boot in verbose mode, I get the following error message, if they mean anything to anyone:

dyld: /usr/libexec/register_mach_bootstrap_servers malformed library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (not a Mach-0 file, bad magic number)

and

Starting Virtual Memory
dyld: SystemStarter malformed library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (mot a Mach -0 file, bad magic number)
/etc/rc: line 282: 118 Trace/BPT trap SystemStarter -gr ${VerboseFlag} ${SafeBoot}

By the way, I have had to reformt her drive twice already and the computer is less than a year old.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 06:44 PM

The fact that you can't boot to CD does imply that you are having hardware problems. Considering your other boot issues, the signs point to the hard drive. However, I haven't actually seen your machine--that's just a preliminary first guess.

Not all certified apple technicians are created equal. Them saying that your hardware is good does not mean that your hardware is good. After all, they didn't install the OS for you (not covered under warranty, BTW). They didn't see the thing work.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules