Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SLOW scrolling

SLOW scrolling
nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 04:19 AM

One thing I've really noticed since switching (from an old PIII to an iBook G4) is that scolling in Mac OS is really slow. Why is this? It feels laggy. Big thing I just noticed today was that if I try scrolling in Safari while iTunes is displaying the vizualiser on the other screen (using screen spanning) the vizualise almost completely stops until you stop scrolling.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 04:27 AM

How much ram do you have?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 04:35 AM

This has always been a problem since OS X was introduced. It improved greatly with Jaguar, but it's nowhere near the scrolling performance of OS 9. That being said, it's best in Safari (when it comes to browsers), and it's certainly acceptable (on slower machines, anyway; I have a dual 800 Power Mac). On G5s it's not a problem at all really. Though I think this is a perk of Webkit. I do have a problem with my machine where Safari scrolling will degrade over time. Eventually it gets so bad I have to log out and back in for it to return to normal. This problem seemed to show up two versions ago only. The problem doesn't exist in the Tiger preview, which I tried.

Meh. I can live with it, though. Maybe Apple will do even more with Tiger to improve scrolling.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 08:18 AM

I've found scrolling to be much faster in Camino than Safari. Also, nJm, you might want to try messing around with the 'use smooth scrolling' option in the Appearance Systtem Preference Panel. And yeah, more ram will certainly help, actually it'll help everything - so get loads!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:17 AM

You didn't mention how you were scrolling. When using the arrow keys, the keyboard repeat rate has a lot to do with how fast the window will scroll.

You will get the fastest scrolling with the Key repeat rate at Fast and the delay at Short.

I don't have a G5 and smooth scrolling sucks and I never use it.

nJm  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 02:00 AM

I've got 512mb ram in a 1.07ghz G4 iBook. I scroll with the arrows on the scroll bar or arrow keys. Both seem to have slow results. It seems to be really system intensive. Any form of video running in the background will stutter or stop until I stop scrolling. Doens't affect iTunes songs, but as I mentioned it makes the vizualiser slow down to a stand still
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
You didn't mention how you were scrolling. When using the arrow keys, the keyboard repeat rate has a lot to do with how fast the window will scroll.

You will get the fastest scrolling with the Key repeat rate at Fast and the delay at Short.

I don't have a G5 and smooth scrolling sucks and I never use it.
Bingo. I thought there was something wrong with my G5 when I first got it because arrow key scrolling was super slow. I figured out that the default key repeat rate was the problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by nJm:
I've got 512mb ram in a 1.07ghz G4 iBook. I scroll with the arrows on the scroll bar or arrow keys. Both seem to have slow results. It seems to be really system intensive. Any form of video running in the background will stutter or stop until I stop scrolling. Doens't affect iTunes songs, but as I mentioned it makes the vizualiser slow down to a stand still
Also, make sure that "Smooth scrolling" is off. Set key repeat rate to fastest and give it a try.

Dr.Michael
Nov 3, 2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by nJm:
One thing I've really noticed since switching (from an old PIII to an iBook G4) is that scolling in Mac OS is really slow. Why is this? It feels laggy. Big thing I just noticed today was that if I try scrolling in Safari while iTunes is displaying the vizualiser on the other screen (using screen spanning) the vizualise almost completely stops until you stop scrolling.
Scrolling is indeed slow on Mac OSX like the whole Aqua scene reacts sluggish compared to windows. One reason is surely the antialiasing that is all around and can only be switched off with hacks (try Tinker Tool).

But scrolling is also slow on Linux. Try for example mozilla on a comparable Pentium machine.
So, as far as I have heard, windows uses maximum optimization to achieve a reactive gui environment. Windows guis run in the kernel adress space which makes them reactive but also introduces bad security holes.

I also hope OSX will become more responsive for user input. The whole aqua cosmetics is only nice if speed is ok.

Forum Links
Forum Rules