Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > to go for a mac, or not to go for a mac, that is my dilema =[

to go for a mac, or not to go for a mac, that is my dilema =[
JONNYMAC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 07:11 PM

Heya all! new to this forum and been reading up quite intently on the macbook pro!

Im going to be in France for a year as part of my degree, and am looking for a good solid laptop to take with me. Im a long time user of Windows and am obviously hesitant, but do indeed want to make the move as i am a bit fed up to say the least ;]

I want a laptop that can play games (i only play counter strike and battlefield 2), watch movies, and do my work on, so the need for something like an alienware isnt really there, however it does have to be able to handle 'some gaming', and above all secure... hence why Im looking at mac.

Im told you can use Windows software in OSX with independant mac software, is this reliable? does it slow down at all? Can you play games within it? like the ones mentioned above? If i can do all this, il order it right now (as they look damn sexy too ;D).

Jonny

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 07:59 PM

You're right to look at the MacBook Pro and not the Macboot since you'll be wanting a better graphics card with gaming and running multiple operating systems.

Yes, you can run Windows in a variety of ways. Do some research on Boot Camp and Parallels to find out what is the best option for you. Both ways are reliable, but obviously they still have the same bugs and security problems that Windows does, because you're running the actual Windows OS.

OreoCookie
Aug 8, 2007, 08:30 PM

You can safely go ahead and buy a MacBook Pro. If you don't like OS X, you can simply use it as a very sleek Windows laptop.

That said, you may want to boot into Windows (dual boot, just like a PC with Linux and Windows on it) when you want to play games. Movies and all that other stuff are handled just fine on OS X itself.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

JONNYMAC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 09:42 PM

thanx for the help guys, it sounds really cool, does anyone know what the performance is like on games on a windows boot with a mac? Im looking at the mid one, with the 256mb card. It looks kick ass.

Rumor
Aug 8, 2007, 09:54 PM

I have the 2.4ghz 15" and it's solid. I play mostly Neverwinter Nights 2 and it runs great. I use Boot Camp and dual boot, since Boot Camp is free.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 12:04 AM

With the new Intel Macs you can get the best of both worlds since some software aren't made for Macs yet. You never have to buy a PC again with this option. PC users now have less of a reason not to try Macs because if they for some reason don't like OS X then they can still use their Macs as a Windows machine.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by JONNYMAC View Post
thanx for the help guys, it sounds really cool, does anyone know what the performance is like on games on a windows boot with a mac? Im looking at the mid one, with the 256mb card. It looks kick ass.
Well, here's someone who thought the older version of the MBP did okay in BattleField 2. The newer GeForce 8600 ones are substantially faster for games.

squeeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 04:44 PM

mine playes the mac version of UT2k4 pretty good
SR MBP 2.4ghz - 4gig Ram - 250gb HD

JONNYMAC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 04:49 PM

thanx so much guys im sold, i was in a mac store today playing on one, so damn sexy, and with leopard coming out, theres no way i cant do it ;D

ur all looking at a mac rookie

love to all!

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2007, 02:54 PM

I am picking up my new 15" 2.4GHZ MBP on 14.8.07 & can,t wait.
I have been using a 15" 133ghz for the last 3 years & it has been great, in fact I purchased my first mac in 1998 iMac Bondi G3/233 (I still have it & it runs)
I remember when I purchased the Bondi, Windows users used to comment on how fast it was compared to windows.
Macs have always rocked.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

JONNYMAC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 06:48 PM

cudnt be arsed to wait the 3 weeks to order it online, so went into a mac store today and purchased ;D another 150 quid with out the university discount they offer online but oh well

Forum Links
Forum Rules