Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Getting online in China... huh?

Getting online in China... huh?
Sealobo
Feb 4, 2003, 03:11 PM

Last week I went to China for a few days to spend my short holiday.

My remote cousin brought me to this "internet cafe". It's basically a room wiht an array of fcuked up PC. There were no other services involved. For 50 cents US, you own a chair & a PC for for 60 mins.

So I paid and sat down, since i had nothing much to do before the sun goes down. And then i found out that i couldn't get into MANY foreign sites, such as CNN or MacNN... many news sites and discussion forums are intentionally blocked by the PRC goverment and there is no way for the internet users in China to get to the information as such.

That SUCKS.

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2003, 03:17 PM

How about the speed?

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 4, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by MacMonster:
How about the speed?
It's VERY fast when i tried to log into servers in Hong Kong... such as Apple Daily. But when i tried to reach anything in north america, it's slow. Maybe all the info coming in have to go through a scanning procedure... to see if the IP of the loading site is in the black-list.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 03:59 PM

That's cheap.. yea..you can stuf any "???" (Fa Lun Gong) info too.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 05:29 PM

I had no problems with some sites in North America when I was there. What p!ssed me off was the fact that all of the internet cafes were infested with chain smokers. Even the kids.

My guess is not scanning, but simply slow access. I have similar issues sometimes accessing Asian sites from Canada. Hopefully, my Prime Minister isn't blocking my access to Japanese Mac sites...

Forum Links
Forum Rules