Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac-On-Linux: Equivalent for OS X?

Mac-On-Linux: Equivalent for OS X?
asmodeus
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 03:51 AM

I've seen that there's a program called Mac-On-Linux, allowing you to run OS 9 and X on top of Linux on a Mac. However, is there an equivalent for OS X (a Linux-On-Mac) allowing me to install & run a Linux PPC install in a window on OS X? I don't really need it, since all the Unixy utilities I use run fine on OS X, I'd just like to have access to a Linux install on my Mac without dual-booting.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 03:20 PM

Mac-on-Linux is an opensource project. It requires X11 to run. I'd think you could try installing Apple's X11 package and the developer tools (available for download when you give them your email address and register as a 'web access only' developer).

That would still run into the abstracted hardware ability that Mac-on-Linux currently has with Linux. The OS or any application has to talk through the APIs so any app that required direct access to a SCSI card or other hardware wouldn't work. The booting process for linux may require such an access. BootX is likely the bootloader you'd need to get the emulator to boot into Linux.

Worth a shot! I'm not sure how it would react to then trying to boot linux. Let us know if you could get this to work!

Their FAQ states the following:
http://www.maconlinux.com/faq.html
Q: Does MOL run on non-Apple hardware?
_
A: It does. MOL runs for instance on the Pegasos board, the Teron board and on AmigaOne hardware. In short, MOL should run on any PowerPC hardware (with the except of 601-based systems). However, the EULA of MacOS prohibits its usage on non-Apple hardware (it is of course perfectly legal to use MOL to boot a second Linux though).
( Last edited by bluedog; Oct 21, 2003 at 03:29 PM. )

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 04:33 PM

Its an interesting idea. not sure it will work, though.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 09:25 PM

the requirements on maconlinux.com say:
� Linux/ppc
� A 2.2 or 2.4 kernel
which is discouraging, but I tried anyway with OSX. i could ./configure, but not make it. i get this error: unicode.c:61: `mbstate' undeclared (first use in this function)

building and running requires kernel modules, which OSX can't use. unless someone 'ports' these to functionally equivalent kernel extensions, it looks like we're out of luck.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 10:40 PM

I emailed the main developer about this a couple weeks ago. He told me its being worked on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules