Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > why do a clean install

why do a clean install
vharris528
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 08:16 AM

Okay, this os is based on unix and unix is supposed to take care in not causing disk fragmentation. So why do I keep reading on this forum that a clean install will improve system performance???

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 09:05 AM

because an update install might not clean up all the stuff it should (like 3rd-party additions) and that could mess up operations in the future. also it'll give you a clean set of preferences - bad preference files can be a really big problem, and if anyone here is having problems specific to certain apps i'd recommend trashing/backing up their preferences for that app and trying again.
~/Library/Preferences/
and
~/Library/Application Support/

suthercd
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 10:14 PM

I second what superlarry said. I have done both many times and a clean install is always better...faster...the System always performs better. I make all all kinds of promises that I have learned to keep about not installing a lot of third party apps. I now have a mouse driver, and that's it for thrird party pref panes. A package for loading mysql, FrontBase for WEbObjects and in /Library/StartupItems. Bells and whistle are interesting, but they all take some cycles and affect performance.

I have a good back-up/archive strategy that I've devloped over time because I get developer seeds and have to re-install frequently. Clean install start to finish with 95% of apps and functions restores takes about 3 hours.

Craig

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 10:58 PM

I did an Archive and Install and have had ZERO problems. If you keep up with maintenance on your computer (DiskWarrior and Cocktail), you shouldn't have any problems with an A and I

Forum Links
Forum Rules