Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > panther: solutions for delete-key problems in terminal

panther: solutions for delete-key problems in terminal
superlarry
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 03:51 PM

so far i've only had this happen while connecting to my linux box via ssh, but here goes:
when i'm running nano (text editor, copy of pico really), the delete key deletes the character to the *right* of the cursor, instead of the previous character (to the left). i found the problem: the OSX terminal now identifies itself as xterm-color. i like the color (i.e. in mutt), but i don't like my delete key not working right, so this can be fixed by setting the TERM variable to "xterm" - the only hitch is that this gets rid of the color.
to maintain color AND get the delete-key fix, you can try setting the TERM variable as "xterm-debian" which worked for me. but my linux box is a debian box, so i don't know if this will work for everyone.

here's how: in tcsh:
setenv TERM xterm
(or xterm-debian)
in bash (like if you've already connected to the remote server):
export TERM=xterm
(or xterm-debian)

if you want this to be permanent:
in tcsh: add the setenv command to ~/.login

in bash: add the export command to ~/.bash_profile
i use this second case so that it only affects my connection to my linux box.
hope this'll help some of you :c)

Forum Links
Forum Rules