Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X11 and Expos�

X11 and Expos�
lars-man
Oct 30, 2003, 04:31 PM

Hi all,

ok, Gimp is running fine now (see: http://larsi.macbay.de/gimp.jpg ). But now I have a question concerning X11 apps and Expos�. Because of requiring a running X11 server I have to launch the X11.app under 10.3 Now I can launch Gimp (and of course other X11 apps). But if I use the F10 now (in order to use Expos� feature to hide all windows from other apps) all X11 windows remain active (see http://larsi.macbay.de/gimp2.jpg ) But that can't be the intention of Expos�. I only want the Gimp windows to be selectable.

Another problem: I open a new xterm window (again using the X11 app) and type "/sw/bin/gimp &". But if I close the xterm window now, Gimp quits, too. Actually it should stay alive or am I wrong?

Kind regards,

Lars from Germany

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 12:43 AM

unfortunately, that's the behavior of X11 with expos�. it's all one "app" as far as OSX can tell.
closing the xterm window kills the program you ran from that window because it's in charge of cleaning up that process. if you close that window, it cleans up (by quitting the program).
to avoid this, you can use OSX's built-in terminal app (in /Applications/Utilities). this will allow you to get rid of an X11 window, and you can just minimize it or hide it and keep your programs running.

lars-man  (op)
Oct 31, 2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by superlarry:
unfortunately, that's the behavior of X11 with expos�. it's all one "app" as far as OSX can tell.
closing the xterm window kills the program you ran from that window because it's in charge of cleaning up that process. if you close that window, it cleans up (by quitting the program).
to avoid this, you can use OSX's built-in terminal app (in /Applications/Utilities). this will allow you to get rid of an X11 window, and you can just minimize it or hide it and keep your programs running.
Thanks for your help but I already found another way to avoid this strange behaviour: just customize your applications menu in your x11.app and add the app you want (Gimp for example). If you use this menu to launch an app, no xterm window or something like this is needed anymore.

Lars

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 09:06 AM

You must be popular. Look at the Mail icon
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Johnny_B:
I'm sure 90% of it is spam!

lars-man  (op)
Oct 31, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Johnny_B:
No not really . I subscribed to some mailing lists and I configured mail to store the mails on the server so that I can access them wherever I want. I already read most of them with Mail under Jaguar but Mail under Panther can't know that I already read them...

Kind regards
Lars

lars-man  (op)
Oct 31, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by bluedog:
I'm sure 90% of it is spam!
Fortunately not. But I hope you won't bomb me now with spam

Kind regards
Lars

Forum Links
Forum Rules