Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my modem crash's and i have too restart the machine why wont any one talk about this

my modem crash's and i have too restart the machine why wont any one talk about this
sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2004, 04:37 AM

i can't be the only one whoi is affected by this dirty secert talk dam all of you!!!!

some one must know how too fix this.....

sk

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2004, 08:41 AM

Would you care to describe your problem?

modems don't crash.

Computers do.

When?

How?

What?

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by sugarkane:
i can't be the only one whoi is affected by this dirty secert talk dam all of you!!!!

sk
Hi, I have little experience with macs, but as a Windows user I know which problems usually occur with modems and other HW. Your information is not to much, but try to reinstall your modem driver. Is usually works in Windows. If not reinstall the OS, which is necessary every 6 month with windows. (The register rottens!)

good luck!
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 6, 2004, 11:11 AM

Is it just me, or are others a little disturbed at the grammar used by some posters? Very scary.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2004, 12:09 PM

--can't get no help if you don't describe your problem.

--if there were a modem problem, it would be talked about and complained about all over the place. Since there's no buzz around this non-issue, then the problem is with your setup. Which brings us back to your setup, about which you don't say nothing.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Is it just me, or are others a little disturbed at the grammar used by some posters? Very scary.
Are you talking about me again? Well, as I allready have written: My mother language is not english. If this is so scary I do recommend you to 1) Accept that there are other languages and not everybody talks english or american perfectly 2 ) Try to travel outside the US. and experience the world :-)

regards
runejoha

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 6, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by runejoha:
Are you talking about me again? Well, as I allready have written: My mother language is not english. If this is so scary I do recommend you to 1) Accept that there are other languages and not everybody talks english or american perfectly 2 ) Try to travel outside the US. and experience the world :-)

regards
runejoha
Hi runejoha,

I was not speaking of your post. I was referring to the original poster. I do travel quite a bit out of the US and most people I encounter in other countries have better grammar, spelling and speaking capabilities then I. You included.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

sugarkane  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 05:00 AM

ok well....

sometimes when the line is hung up buy the serivce provider or interupted by an incoming call the modem crashe's on the disconnection script!!!
the only fix i can find is too reboot the machine!

sk

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 07:26 AM

So you are having a problem with a "hanging" disconnect???

If you look on Versiontracker, I think there are a few utils that are available to resolve this situation.

For those who are commenting on the language, we have to make allowances for our Oztralian friends - being from NZ I can say this

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 09:09 AM

Check the static ram disconnect switch (behind the modem).

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by sugarkane:

sk

Still I don't know which ac or problem you have but try:
(Google )

http://amath.colorado.edu/computing/...ubleshoot.html

if Modem USB clash: (old macs i think)

If you get a modem port in use by other application message and are unable to use your modem (iMac) check Palm Pilot USB quick sync extensions. Turn off all 3 extensions that pinch the modem port. Your modem should now work okay.....

runejoha

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 01:11 PM

Apple has had several issues with OSX compatibility with their newest modem hardware found in TiPBs, AlPBs, and other machines. They've fixed all I am aware of, however.

I discovered an issue with using my TiPB and AlPB modem in OSX and our university modem pool. One of the issues was a lack of a graceful disconnect. If you unplugged the modem cable from the mac, it would trigger a functional reset that allowed you to now gracefully exit the modem app. Try unplugging before you restart your mac, wait a minute to see if it helps.

A second problem was with uploading medium-sized attachments, which was a bigger problem but was more complicated to fix (and perhaps not relevant to this topic).

I worked with Apple to identify these problems and beta test the revised script, which was eventually released as a part of the 10.3.1 or 10.3.2 update. Apple did not list this change in the update text, however.

So I'd recommend also trying the latest OS to see if it solves your problem.

Also, none of these problems were present running the same hardware in OS 9 (if you could). So you can also separate a software from hardware issue this way, if your machine allows booting in OS9.

Finally, I did indeed have a modem fail on me in my PB17 -- the modem went intermittant over a 3 day period, dropping connections, etc., before completely failing. So if you suspect hardware and know someone else with a similar generation machine, you can ask them to compare connecting to the same modem pool using the same connection and hopefully the same OS.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
So you are having a problem with a "hanging" disconnect???

If you look on Versiontracker, I think there are a few utils that are available to resolve this situation.

For those who are commenting on the language, we have to make allowances for our Oztralian friends - being from NZ I can say this
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

google works wonders, too.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 10:10 PM

thanks for the info and link ! i've been having the same problem with my iBook G3 800 for a few months now, without knowing a solution.

superlarry
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
I do travel quite a bit out of the US and most people I encounter in other countries have better grammar, spelling and speaking capabilities then I.
*than

sugarkane  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 03:51 AM

thanks this is what i need i am running 10.3.2 on a rev a 12" pb and only started having this problem with 10.3 so apple haven't fixed the issue
is there a way to stop it from happening at all??

and mr peterKG if i want an english leason, my man i'll PM you ok....

mr spiky_dog i live in AU but i am a KIWI i would never become a citizen of australia, why would ya i have a NZ and an Irish passports i can't see an AU passport doing anything but making me a target for people not impressed with AU's part in the real axis of evil...

i choose to email/post and sms like i talk if you don't like it then tough!

sk

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 04:39 AM

I think your attack on spikey_dog a little of kilter. Given that he made zero comments about the quality of your posts and gave you another avenue for resolution of your problem, me thinks you might want to apologise to the dog.

On examination of the posts, I would then assume that your attack might have been directed at me, given that I was quoted inside his post. If that is the case, then I have one thing to say, "I apologise to all MacNN members for the level of schooling in NZ"

Forum Links
Forum Rules