Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Enable 8Mb buffer???

Enable 8Mb buffer???
DimeTech
Apr 22, 2004, 01:16 AM

I just put a new Seagate 120Gb hard drive in my cube. It's supposed to have a 8Mb buffer, but it's only set at 2Mb. How do I change it to 8Mb??

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 01:27 AM

I don't think it's something the user can even change. Where are you even seeing the buffer size listed?!?

tooki

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 01:36 AM

That's what I want to know (how you can view it). I bet you're looking at your L3 cache.

DimeTech  (op)
Apr 22, 2004, 02:15 AM

ah...that's it...it's the l3 cache....well thats wat I meant in the original question. can anyone asnwer that?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 02:17 AM

Huh?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Huh?
People above are speaking "geek". In time enlightenment will filter down to us "peasants" and a new utopia will emerge

I have a HD with an 8MB cache so any replies in "England" will be appreciated.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 03:29 AM

I doubt it's the geekspeak that was confusing, just that the question didn't make any sense. Using cache is a setting of the drive. If it's only using 2 MB (How can you tell?), that's all it has.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 09:58 AM

You don't have to "enable" it, it works whenever the drive does anything.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by DimeTech:
ah...that's it...it's the l3 cache....well thats wat I meant in the original question. can anyone asnwer that?
When the above posters mentioned your looking at the L3 cache size, they meant you're looking at the L3 cache size OF YOUR CPU not the buffer size of the HD. Ie. If this machine of yours is a G4 PowerMac each Processor could have an L3 cache of 1-2MB. L3 cache does not refer to drive buffer size. I think that's what the "HUH?" was about, you didn't understand the poster's reply.

The posters' question still stands, where are you viewing the size of your HD's buffer size?

I would think that GoGoReggieXPowars is correct in that you don't have to enable anything.

And let's not call it Geekspeak, it's perfectly correct technical terms.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 01:58 PM

There is no setting to set the CPU cache. There is no setting to set the HD cache. Both are fundamental features of the CPU module and hard drive, respectively, and can't just be set! Apple System Profiler reports the CPU cache values to you as a courtesy, to let you know the specs of the machine without disassembling it.

Just like you can't take your 4-cyclinder engine, flip a switch, and have it grow another 2 cylinders.

tooki

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Just like you can't take your 4-cyclinder engine, flip a switch, and have it grow another 2 cylinders.
Though you used to be able to take your 8 cylinder Caddy and have 2 or 4 of them go offline

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 02:59 PM

it's getting out of hand now..

BTW... check the label on the hard drive or in the Disk Utility... hope you didn't receive a remarked HD.

For the L3 cache.. did you upgrade your CUBE CPU? I don't think the stock config contains a 2MB L3 cache.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Though you used to be able to take your 8 cylinder Caddy and have 2 or 4 of them go offline
Actually, IIRC, that's a new feature of the V8 Northstar engine Cadillac introduced in the late 90's, but as an emergency feature. If the engine begins to overheat, it'll shut off 4 of the cylinders to reduce heat production. It can go up to 50 miles that way, far enough to make it to a service station to get looked at.

tooki

superlarry
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
There is no setting to set the CPU cache.
with apple's CHUD tool, you can turn it off. can't change the amount, though.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/performance/

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2004, 05:00 AM

As far as the old Cadillac engines go, they were called the 8-6-4, and they were a flaming disaster. However, GM is planning on using that technology on their trucks soon to help achieve the necessary fuel mileage regulations. However, it'll be a little more advanced than the old method, God I hope so.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Madison:
As far as the old Cadillac engines go, they were called the 8-6-4, and they were a flaming disaster. However, GM is planning on using that technology on their trucks soon to help achieve the necessary fuel mileage regulations. However, it'll be a little more advanced than the old method, God I hope so.
Several automakers are planning "variable displacement" engines. Since everything is computer-controlled now, the technology is a lot more feasible than it was fifteen years ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules