Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disable Classic

Disable Classic
xdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 08:40 PM

Is there any way/hack to disable the launching of Classic?

I'm growing weary of trying to open files (ie, text clipping) and having Classic launch and forcing it to quit.

Thanks.
xdude

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2001, 09:36 PM

I would like to have a duel-booting system but Apple seems to think that you WANT to have Mac OS 9 compatibilty for Mac OS X.

I would like to have them installed in totally separate partitions with no interaction between them.

Agent69
Agent69

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2001, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by xdude:
Is there any way/hack to disable the launching of Classic?

I'm growing weary of trying to open files (ie, text clipping) and having Classic launch and forcing it to quit.

Thanks.
xdude
Login as root (or su via command line) and remove Classic.app from the Core Services directory.

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 10:22 PM

You have to realize that your now using OS X, it's a brand new OS, so most of the stuff you have runs on OS 9, and If you know this then how do you expect to see an item that was built for OS 9 in OS X without launching Classic.But to tell you the truth there probably inst a way to do that to Classic, plus if there is a hack to do it, it's probably hard long and complicated, so everytime you do want to launch classic you will have to do the reverse hack to put it back! Unless you can live without Classic at all, and if this is so than I can truelly call you a Mac OS X man.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2001, 10:30 PM

Why not just move the system suitcase and finder from the OS 9 System Folder and then move them back when you want to use it again.

xdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2001, 12:34 AM

SkullMacPN:
Thanks for the tip. I removed it and all I get now is an error code 2. Not sure if that is a good thing or not but it did stop Classic from launching. Tally-ho!

ibr80:
I'm using X only on my laptop and not on main work machine. I personally don't like the mixture of the two but can see it's benefits for those on only one machine. If I do need to work on my laptop I'd prefer to boot up in 9.

Cheers!
xdude

Forum Links
Forum Rules