Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Permissions / not being able to run applicaitons

Permissions / not being able to run applicaitons
mrpunkin_2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 12:34 PM

Okay, heres the deal guys and gals. I go to a school that has tons of mac labs, G5 and G4. We run 10.3.9 on all the Macs and everything is great and dandy with that. The issue is that I use my iPod to bring my homework and work to school with me. The PC labs work fine and I have PortableFirefox and PortableThunderbird installed on my iPod for use on the PCs. When on the Macs though they have it restricted so that the student user can't run any applications they haven't already designated as okay.

Now, I'm not trying to run any malicious software, I just want to be able to run light apps like SubEthaEdit for coding while I'm at school (between classes or in class in some cases ) Im pretty sure the answer is "tough luck" without being able to log on as an admin or something, but was hoping maybe someone would know. Even if the app never leaves my ipod that would be fine, I just was hoping for a way to do this.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 12:36 PM

Uh, isn't that the whole point of whitelisting software? If there's a way around this, it's a security hole.

mrpunkin_2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 12:57 PM

Don't get me wrong. Im not completely stupid and understand that. I guess I was more wondering if there was a way to jail applications on the iPod so they can be run but can't do anything to the host-computer. That would require booting from the iPod though I assume.

Forum Links
Forum Rules