Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Problems with the Sims 2 in Parallels

Problems with the Sims 2 in Parallels
midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 12:04 AM

Hi all.

My wife just got a 20" iMac and I've been setting it up for her. Here's the deal:

She's an avid player of The Sims 2, and while I've gotten everything to install in XP running within Parallels, when I try to launch the application, it tells me that I don't have the DVD in the drive. Which, of course, I do.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Everything else is running perfectly.

Additionally, can anyone tell me how to share files between OS X and XP in Parallels? I looked in the help, but I couldn't find an explanation of how to set up a shared folder. I assume it's one of those things that so obvious I missed it.

Thanks in advance.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 04:56 AM

Did you update the game? Maybe the CD has a haxie of some sort you forgot to use?

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 24, 2006, 06:09 AM

I guess that the virtualization shares the drive with OSX, which probably causes this problem.

More importantly though, I'm not sure if you're going to get the Sims 2 to work in Parallels at all. AFAIK, it does not have any 3D acceleration, which I presume is required for the game. You may be better off using BootCamp.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
I guess that the virtualization shares the drive with OSX, which probably causes this problem.

More importantly though, I'm not sure if you're going to get the Sims 2 to work in Parallels at all. AFAIK, it does not have any 3D acceleration, which I presume is required for the game. You may be better off using BootCamp.

David
Yeah. That's what I've found out. I suppose I could do another install of XP and use both Parallels and Bootcamp....

F*ckDell
Banned
Sep 24, 2006, 05:03 PM

you cooooould do that... however, your going to find youself with a few problems. Due to Microsoft being complete ass holes, you can only install Win XP on one computer. By you using both bootcamp and parallels to run one version of windows, you'll have software update problems with one account.

p.s. I like your sig, if you don't mind, I may copy!

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
you cooooould do that... however, your going to find youself with a few problems. Due to Microsoft being complete ass holes, you can only install Win XP on one computer. By you using both bootcamp and parallels to run one version of windows, you'll have software update problems with one account.

p.s. I like your sig, if you don't mind, I may copy!
Yeah. I have noticed this. There doesn't seem to be an online way to de-activate an installation. I'll give MS call monday and see if they can fix it.

F*ckDell
Banned
Sep 24, 2006, 08:52 PM

Yeah, report back to tell us what they say. I'd like to know for my personally refrence.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 09:28 PM

Yeah, Sims 2 won't work in Parallels. Parallels doesn't work at all for 3D games. They really should warn people on the box or something.

Boot camp will work just fine though. If you REALLY want, you could buy Sims 2 for Mac, but Sims 2 for Windows should work fine in Boot Camp.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Yeah, Sims 2 won't work in Parallels. Parallels doesn't work at all for 3D games. They really should warn people on the box or something.

Boot camp will work just fine though. If you REALLY want, you could buy Sims 2 for Mac, but Sims 2 for Windows should work fine in Boot Camp.
Yeah. I installed Bootcamp and all is good (except that the virtual installation is activated and I need to call M$ to get them to de-activate it).

And if my wife only played the first Sims game, or only played Mac games (she plays very few, in the end), it'd be different. But she has 3 or 4 Sims expansion packs, and it was just easier to buy XP.

Now I need to get the Quicken data exported and onto the Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules