Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro 5,1 help needed

Mac Pro 5,1 help needed
Blackey Cole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2017, 11:39 PM

Imwanting to upgrade the video card I have two questions

1) what is the most powerful, faster gpu from nvidia that uses buss power only no external connections

2) what is the maximum wattage for the pci buss that the gpu uses? I read 400 somewhere in a post I think and that not nearly enough for the GeForce 960 card I'm hoping to go if I picked the correct link.

I have a GeForce 120 in it right now but it doesn't have the outputs I need or want. I have a pc version of the GeForce gtx680 that I'm thinking of flashing once I find where to plug the external power itnto I missed them last time I looked for them.

That and fixing the bet and wifi and adding the Sata dual drive pci board and I'll be happy with it.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 5, 2017, 02:37 AM

The strongest nVidia card running on buss power appears to be the GT 640.

I'm not remembering the exact PCI buss power, but it's nowhere near 400.

Is there a reason not to use the aux power connectors? They're on the motherboard specifically for high-powered video cards. A GTX 960 will run circles around the GT 640, and it only takes one aux power connector. The connectors are below HD Bay 2, just above the metal floor of the PCI bay.

P
Mar 5, 2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The strongest nVidia card running on buss power appears to be the GT 640.
Strongest nVidia GPU that does not require external power is the 1050 Ti. Strongest on the site you linked to (which doesn't have the latest generation cards) is the 750 Ti. Note that both of those cards have the external PCIEe power connector, but do not need it unless you overclock.

I'm not remembering the exact PCI buss power, but it's nowhere near 400.
75W max from the slot. However the max that a card can use in total, including external power, is 375W (slot plus 2x 8pin), up from 300W in an earlier revision of the standard. Note that there are cards that ignore this.

Edit:If you're not stuck on nVidia, the Radeon RX 460 also runs on bus power, is comparable to a 1050 and has full support from Apple as it is the same chip as in the new 15" MBP. Should also be cheaper. Don't know if you need a new video BIOS, but in either case it should work after boot.
( Last edited by P; Mar 5, 2017 at 09:19 AM. )
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules