Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Track pad on new iBook - problem

Track pad on new iBook - problem
sawmill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 08:12 PM

My new iBook G4 12" is a great little machine, but I've noticed (and a few others on the Apple discussion forums have too) that the track pad and cursor occasionally just gets a mind of its own.

I am an experienced track pad user so this isn't a case of some other part of my hand or another finger touching the track pad at the same time, but here's what happens:

While using the track pad the cursor will suddenly just get stuck moving slightly in one small area of the screen. Trying to move it further doesn't do anything.

I have to wait a few seconds and then it seems to clear and work fine. The effect is similar to putting two fingers on the track pad and watching the cursor bounce back and forth between the two points.

I've been unable to track down exact times when this occurs - it appears to be random and happens whether the iBook is plugged in using the AC adapter or running off battery or whether it's got a mouse attached or not.

Anyone else?

John

fener
Nov 2, 2003, 09:48 PM

This is not a problem of 'iBook'. It could happen on ANY trackpads; IBM, HP, COMPAQ, Apple,...

It is HOW YOU use the trackpad:

1- If you touch the trackpad WITHOUT DRY hands, it will happen, and wet will affect the trackpad in the long run.

2- If YOU touch the trackpad WITHOUT clean hands, like OILY hands, DIRTY hands, this will happen, sometimes. Touching the track pad with OILY hands is a BAD BAD idea.

3- If you touch the trackpad at more than one point at the same time ( your palm can touch, for ex) , this COULD happen.

I am also using iBook G4. And I can say that THIS TRACKPAD IS WAY WAY BETTER THAN previous iBook models.

If you don't do the listed things above, there is no reason why the trackpad should behave strange.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by sawmill:
My new iBook G4 12" is a great little machine, but I've noticed (and a few others on the Apple discussion forums have too) that the track pad and cursor occasionally just gets a mind of its own.
Anyone else?

John

Check your track pad preferences under mouse/keyboard. Make sure 'ignore track pad when typing(?)' box is checked. This seemed to clear up my daughters dual usb ibook's similar erratic behavior.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

pbinNov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 11:44 AM

If you rule out the user issues that the above posters have mentioned and the problem still exists, I'd contact Apple support before the problem gets worse.

Often times its the user, but some computers DO have really bad trackpad issues-- across all brands. One reason I want to replace my Dell 8000 is because of a randomly floating cursor problem like yours. The widespread Dell problem is due to the actual standard hardware and drivers, not users, as you can find on their support forums. On the dells, the problem gradually gets a lot worse, but doesn't affect everyone.

I'd expect more from Apple, of course, and I hear the new ibook pad is great, but the example is just to let you know that it is possible that it's the computer, not you (since you say you're not new to trackpads). If the problem keeps up, I wouldn't ignore it, since the ibook is otherwise an awesome computer.

Good luck.

sawmill  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I may have resolved the issue.

I went into system preference and chose trackpad prefs and clicked the checkbox next to "Ignore accidental trackpad input."

After doing this, I had no problems!

Please know that I am 100% positive that I was not accidentally touching the trackpad in two places prior to making this change. The cursor jumping all over was happening even when I'd hold one finger down on the trackpad with my other hand far away from the computer (in other words, no chance at all that some other part of either hands was touching the trackpad).

So, for fun, I went back to trackpage prefs and deselected the "Ignore accidental trackpad input."

All is still good and my trackpad has not displayed any weird jumping or sticking since.

It's as if just changing the preferences did something.

At any rate, I am thrilled because except for that this iBook is amazing. I truly love it. I've owned about 8 PowerBooks over the years and this little iBook is my favourite Apple laptop ever.

John

docious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:30 PM

I've had the same problem with my 12" iBook G4. It is most definitely not a problem with dirty or wet hands. Of course, I made sure I was spiffy clean and not too sweaty the first time I touched the white shell.

I checked the trackpad settings right away (I also like to click with the pad). I always make sure to leave the "ignore accidental..." item checked, as it's a pain not to.

But once in a while the cursor just wigs out. It'll often fly across the screen with the slightest finger movement and stick on the edge. It then seems to act as though I'm randomly spinning the wheels on the inside of a conventional mouse. It just goes in random directions. It acts like some practical joke software is installed.

I ended up being able to play with the machine for a few good hours last night with no problems, after having intermittent problems all day. I'm thinking I'll give it a week before I call Apple.

docious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 01:25 PM

Oh, I ended up getting the trackpad replaced. At least the shipping was fast..

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 12:35 PM

something else to keep in mind is static electricity....you can try by putting a piece of paper on the trackpad and using it through that and if you don't have any issues there that is usually what the problem is

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2004, 03:22 PM

I've been having some trackpad weirdness with my new iBook G4: Sometimes the cursor just doesn't move at all. When this happens, if I keep my finger on the pad I can move it all over the place but the cursor just sits there. I have to lift up my finger and put it down again before it responds. Has anyone else had this problem?

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I've been having some trackpad weirdness with my new iBook G4: Sometimes the cursor just doesn't move at all. When this happens, if I keep my finger on the pad I can move it all over the place but the cursor just sits there. I have to lift up my finger and put it down again before it responds. Has anyone else had this problem?
I've had that problem where my pointer won't move at all until I take my finger off for a second or two.

I've also started to notice the erratic movement at times. Again, taking my finger off for a second or two restores normal functionality.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2004, 10:42 PM

This appears to be a known issue:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Some suggested fixes include:

Try disconnecting your AC adapter to see if it's a grounding issue.

Try cleaning the trackpad, or putting a thin layer over it (paper, teflon) while using it.

Reset the Power Management Unit:
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the power button to restart the iBook computer.
( Last edited by wataru; Jan 31, 2004 at 10:51 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules