Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > memory g4 12"

memory g4 12"
Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 03:37 AM

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why there is such a discrepancy between ram prices for the g4 Ibook. I have checked 3 place and each place has a drastically different price.

Apple.com is offering a 512 chip for $200
Kingston.com is offering a 512 chip for $180
Crucial.com is offering a 512 chip for $107

So what exactly is the difference and who should I go with.

In the pc world both kingston and crucial have always been reliable, but there was never such a huge shift in prices.

any advice would be a appreciated.

PS is anyone knows of any wireless usb adapters that work with panther, please let me know.

Thanks

pat++
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 01:23 PM

Apple is known to charge twice as much as other vendors for memory. Go ahead with Crucial, they have very good RAM quality, and are very serious/professional. I buy all my memory modules on crucial.com...

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 30, 2003, 01:31 PM

I agree w/ above Apple charges more than many other companies and i think Kingstons does because of it's name.

I would also agree that crucial makes quality ram. I bought 512 ram from them and haven't run into to any problems yet.

jerry1
Dec 30, 2003, 03:12 PM

Ok, even if I get the extra RAM, how am I going to add it ?

Are there any good pictorials/tutorials out there ? Also do I need any special instruments for the upgrade ?

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 04:02 PM

There is no price / quality correlation with memory chips. Different kinds of memory may cost more or less than other kinds (DDR vs <whatever>) but that's a different issue.

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 30, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by jerry1:
Ok, even if I get the extra RAM, how am I going to add it ?

Are there any good pictorials/tutorials out there ? Also do I need any special instruments for the upgrade ?
I have a pdf file that shows you how to replace to the memory. I forgot where I found it from, but I can email it to you if needed.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by jerry1:
There's also a pretty good couple of drawings on how to do it under your ibook keyboard.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 01:49 AM

Just follow Apple's detailed instructions:

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/p...4-mem-cip1.pdf

Chris

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 10:15 PM

Crucial have it in my iBook and G5.

installation is cake: you need a small jewelers screwdriver... eyeglass repair kit screwdriver will work as well... phillips variety. Pictures underneath keyboard (if I remember correctly). It really is massively easy... just make sure you have the afforementioned small phillips screwdriver!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

kat_xo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
Go ahead with Crucial, they have very good RAM quality, and are very serious/professional. I buy all my memory modules on crucial.com...
Wouldn't this void your warranty?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by kat_xo:
Wouldn't this void your warranty?
Of course not. The iBook is designed so that the user can easily install RAM.

Replacing the hard drive, on the other hand, will void the warranty.

Macvault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 08:20 PM

Las week I ordered from Crucial a 512 MB chip for my new 12" iBook G4 800 Mhz. Got the RAM today, installed it, and my worst fear happened - it hung on bootup. Tried again, hung up at a different point in the bootup. Then tried again to no avail. Out of about 10 tries I got it to actually get to the desktop twice, where I could actually launch a few programs, but eventually it just froze and crashed the whole system. I was able to launch TechTools and try running the memory test. When I ran the test it froze the machine.

Ahhh!!!! Why me?!?!

They're going to send me a new chip. Just hope it works. The lady said something like she was going to send me a double-sided chip this time cuz the single-sided might be too dense or something.

If the new one doesn't work then they'll be giving me a refund.

Now I have to wait a few more days. It better work.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 09:47 PM

Good thing they have free 2 day shipping right now, huh?

I just ordered a 512MB piece for my iBook G4 too. I hope I have better luck, and good luck to you with the replacement piece.

Photo678  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 02:27 AM

i got mine in two days, installed, no problem, everything works great

Macvault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 01:58 PM

Photo678: Can you tel me your crucial part number and description for the RAM that works for your iBook? Here are the numbers for the replacement Crucial is shipping me today...

Part# CT6464X265.16F
Description: 512MB 200-PIN SODIMM 64MX64 DDR

I've always head good stuff about Crucial's memory. Did I get a "bad" chip, or the wrong part? I've never had problems with memory upgrades before, I've always ordered from MemoryX in the past though.

Photo678  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 02:58 PM

Thats exactly the part number of what they sent me. It is the pc2100 ram, dont know if maybe they sent you soemthing else or not. I would just chalk it up to a silly mistake, or bad ram, which can happen from time to time.

If memory serves me (no pun), it was double sided, in that the chips were on both sides. I dont know if they make a stick with the chips on just one side, but the one I got, had the chips on both sides. It installed easily, follow the pics on the underside of the keyboard. Booted right up without problems.

Good luck and I hope that this one is the winner for you

Macvault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 03:07 PM

Thanks Photo678. I just checked and the original part # they sent me (the bad/wrong chip) is CT6464X265.8T, the new one is CT6464X265.16F. Hope the new one works. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Macvault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 07:39 PM

Got the new chip via FedEx this morning. It arived a day early! Works great! Don't know what was up with the first chip as it seemed to have the same specs written on the label, but obviously didn't. The product numbers were different. Anyway, I'm happy now

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 08:08 PM

I think Apple products require JDECC-compatible memory. If I recall correctly, DIMMs should be both dual-sided and the number of chips on the stick should be divisible by 8. There were a couple of 512MB/1GB sticks I've seen that had either 9/18 chips, and these, of course, don't work on the Mac.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 08:14 PM

Has anybody ever bought memory from this company?

http://www.transintl.com/macupgrades/index.cfm

I'm thinking of ordering one of their 1GB memory sticks so I'll have a maximum of 1152MB of RAM in my iBook.

Their prices seem pretty good, too. Always a key factor

Mike

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
Has anybody ever bought memory from this company?

http://www.transintl.com/macupgrades/index.cfm

I'm thinking of ordering one of their 1GB memory sticks so I'll have a maximum of 1152MB of RAM in my iBook.

Their prices seem pretty good, too. Always a key factor

Mike
I just posted a question about those guys just now (sorry). I'm wondering also if, at levels of RAM above the Apple-specified 640MB, the memory might suffer a performance hit or (scary thought) be prone to overheating.

jaske
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2004, 08:31 PM

I've purchased memory from TransIntl twice, and the service was excellent and the ram has worked perfectly. I will purchase from them again if they have the best price the next time I need ram.

Other vendors I trust (based on personal experience) are OWC and Crucial.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by jaske:
I've purchased memory from TransIntl twice, and the service was excellent and the ram has worked perfectly. I will purchase from them again if they have the best price the next time I need ram.

Other vendors I trust (based on personal experience) are OWC and Crucial.
My experiences with Crucial have also been nothing but stellar.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Macvault:
Thanks Photo678. I just checked and the original part # they sent me (the bad/wrong chip) is CT6464X265.8T, the new one is CT6464X265.16F. Hope the new one works. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
I've had several kernel panics since getting my computer on Wednesday It turns out my Crucial RAM is CT6464X265.8T, so that may be the cause. What kind of iBook do you have?

fuji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
I've had several kernel panics since getting my computer on Wednesday It turns out my Crucial RAM is CT6464X265.8T, so that may be the cause. What kind of iBook do you have?

Ordered from Crucial UK last Monday and they sent me Crucial RAM CT6464X265.8T RAM as well, it hangs my Ibook G4/800 just before the desktop appears. I called Crucial and they said its def. the correct RAM and have you updated the firmware?(!) (How stupid)
They said that the technical people will ring on Monday, its Saturday here. Not good at all!

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 12:43 PM

the question about warranty always comes up at work....installing an Airport card or RAM won't void your warranty and neither will pulling the HD out and replacing that....what would happen though is the warranty would not cover any damage done to the system by the removal/installation of the non CIP (Customer Installable Part) part...so if you damage something trying to cram the HD into the case and break something you will be paying for it but the rest of the comp is still covered

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by fuji:
Ordered from Crucial UK last Monday and they sent me Crucial RAM CT6464X265.8T RAM as well, it hangs my Ibook G4/800 just before the desktop appears. I called Crucial and they said its def. the correct RAM and have you updated the firmware?(!) (How stupid)
They said that the technical people will ring on Monday, its Saturday here. Not good at all!
I talked to them yesterday and got an RMA and all. Here's the deal: A small percentage (about 3%) of all iBook G4 12" models for some reason don't like the .8T RAM, but do fine with the .16F RAM. The difference is the density of the chips--the .8T has eight higher-density chips (apparently a "newer technology") and the .16F has sixteen less dense chips.

When I called, I basically summarized to the guy my problem and what I had found out here: I have an 800MHz iBook G4, and since putting in the RAM I got from them I've had lots of KPs and random cursor freezes. Apparently the .8T chips don't work correctly in some iBook G4s, and could I have it replaced with a .16F? The guy said it was a known issue and immediately transfered me over to get an RMA. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't do the same for you if you explained the situation similarly.

fuji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I talked to them yesterday and got an RMA and all. Here's the deal: A small percentage (about 3%) of all iBook G4 12" models for some reason don't like the .8T RAM, but do fine with the .16F RAM. The difference is the density of the chips--the .8T has eight higher-density chips (apparently a "newer technology") and the .16F has sixteen less dense chips.

When I called, I basically summarized to the guy my problem and what I had found out here: I have an 800MHz iBook G4, and since putting in the RAM I got from them I've had lots of KPs and random cursor freezes. Apparently the .8T chips don't work correctly in some iBook G4s, and could I have it replaced with a .16F? The guy said it was a known issue and immediately transfered me over to get an RMA. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't do the same for you if you explained the situation similarly.

Hi,

Thanks for the information, I called them and got the replacement .16f ram, its working like a dream.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2004, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by fuji:
Hi,

Thanks for the information, I called them and got the replacement .16f ram, its working like a dream.
Lucky bastard. They sent me another .8T piece. Now I'm waiting for my third stick. My brand new machine is slow as molasses

[Edit] My .16F piece finally arrived and it has been working fine for a week or so.
( Last edited by wataru; Feb 24, 2004 at 05:31 PM. )

nickday
Feb 24, 2004, 06:28 PM

I too have been having a few problems since putting a Crucial 512mb stick in my new iBook G4 800... just occasional random freezes, not very often, but often enough to become annoying. My RAM is the .8T type. I'm not entirely sure the freezes are due to the RAM or just software but I might as well return it to them for the .16F type as it only costs a little for delivery.

Nick

tomacwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 04:56 AM

You'd think after the returns Crucial would not send the old RAM out huh?

Oh well, I will mail them this morning regarding my problems, and hopefully get the new set for the weekend.

Tom.

nickday
Feb 25, 2004, 07:41 AM

Great, just got off the phone to Crucial, they say it's quite a common problem and people are calling up about it every day. The .16F chips are out of stock at the moment, she's going to email me with an ETA later today, so i'll have to stick with 256mb for now.

Nick

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by tomacwhite:
You'd think after the returns Crucial would not send the old RAM out huh?
Actually the problem is happening with newer, higher-density RAM chips. The number (8 vs 16) refers to the number of chips on the board.

I don't know the details, but this seems to be a problem with the iBooks, not with the RAM.

tomacwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 07:04 PM

I got my replacement type 16 memory today from Crucial..

Works perfectly.

Thanks everyones help with this one, and repect to Crucial for sorting it out so easily.

nickday
Mar 6, 2004, 02:23 PM

Grr... my .16 chip arrived today after waiting for it to come back in stock, over a week chugging along with 256mb, I install it, turn it on and get nothing but the fan starts up. It works fine without the chip, and with the 128mb extra that came with the machine, so I have to send it back to Crucial again! One good thing is that they're paying my shipping costs, but it's still a pain.

Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules